• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Team Hiring - Various Team Positions

dbrown30

Reaction score
Hello there,

My name is David Brown and I'm working on a project that I had previously taken a break from about a year ago. I have resumed the project because I have a great vision of not only the end result, but enjoy the steps it takes to get there. This has been on my plate for a long time and I would like to see it through.

About Me
I'm 26 and now have a part time job, so that I can focus on my projects such as this one. I would one day like to be able to support myself from my own projects completely. I'm also a freelance web developer. Love to travel (this year alone, I've been to Mexico, USA (residence), Canada, and going to several countries in Europe, and then might go back to Mexico again at the end of the year).

About the Project
The name of the project is Crescent Stones (CS). I want to capture a lot of the fun and exciting aspects from games and anime that have inspired me over the years such as DragonBall Z, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, and of course Tibia. I really enjoyed Tibia until around the time I started college (2006). I started back in May 2003 and really loved it at the time. I'd like to bring back that community-gaming sense with the fun aspects from my previous gaming experiences in other games.

I'm currently using distro TFS Crying Damson V8.2, or at least trying to get it to work. I was using V2.5 a year ago and want to make sure I'm using a very reliable and stable server. I'm hosting it out of my own home, but will definitely host by other means (likely via VPS) when it's ready to go live.

I use a company to host the websites for all of my clients - and that is the one I use for CS. It can establish connections to external databases, so I will also be using it for this project.

The feel to Crescent Stones should place you in a world a little bit further away from a medieval-style period. I'm not wanting it futuristic, but with a more modern sense to it.

I have in mind some wild constant world-event involving magical stones, much in the sense like the DragonBall Z anime.

This will be a serious RPG experience with realistic character growth. I have some interesting ideas to keep the game where players are not feeling overwhelmed as they begin their journey. You'll discover more of these if you are hired. ;)

It's sad that I would have to say this, but cheating will not be tolerated as it was in Tibia. There will most definitely be enough gamemasters to adequately eliminate destructive gameplay. You are of course free to become a GM yourself within guidelines that we establish.

The Jobs
As with the majority of freelance game development, the success rate is not that popular. I'm not looking for someone who will quit going to school and work to help me with my project. Instead, I would rather have someone who shares a common interest and would like to earn some cash while you assist me in accomplishing goals.

There are several unique features that I would love to put into the server that will involve some technical know-how. I don't expect you to be a jedi master of graphics, coding, etc. but I do expect you to identify obstacles and to understand what it takes to resolve them. It's therefore necessary to have a broad understanding of how pieces of a project fit together to create a successful product or service.

In the same sense, I do not expect you to put in 20+ hours a week if you don't want to. However, I do expect communication on a regular basis. Attempt to answer emails promptly, help with maps if needed, and attempt to assist us in issues that are preventing us from reaching our goals. Sometimes, I'll just need a better understanding of certain aspects of how OT's function and may ask for your knowledge on those topics.

The following are some topics that I feel would be valuable to the project. Please let me know how experienced you are in the following topics to get a good idea of your skillsets. Examples speak louder than words, but are not required for applying.

• HTML
  • PHP
  • MySQL
  • XAMPP
  • OT Distros
  • OT Mapping
  • OT sprite management
  • Photoshop
  • GIMP
  • Dreamweaver
  • Microsoft Office Word
  • Microsoft Office Excel
  • Google Drive
  • VNC Remote Desktop
  • LUA
  • C++
  • XML
  • Network Administration
  • Hardware knowledge
  • Windows Server knowledge
  • Linux Server knowledge

Honestly, I posted this list just to help get you some ideas of topics you would like to share about yourself. Feel free to go into more detail about your qualifications.

I understand you must have other interests from my project and others that you may working with.

Compensation
I do have paid staff, but will negotiate payments based on your knowledge, experience, and amount of work you can perform. We also offer a substitute for payments if you are interested in having a gamemaster account with us.

How to Apply
Please reply to this thread with your inquiries. I'll then send you a link to complete a form for our records and to make sure we are on the same page.

Questions?
If you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask me and I'll be glad to respond.

Thanks for your interest!
-David

Last edited:
May I ask, if project is already started, or its a clean one?

May I ask, if project is already started, or its a clean one?

Hi Fare,

That's a good question. Although I started on the project a year ago, I had stopped working on it due to some job-hopping experiences. I would say that we are still at a pretty "clean" status with virtually no implemented features yet.

Please let me know if this answers your question.

Thanks!
-David

Hello dbrown30 :)

I would like to apply as your Project Manager.

I got 8+ Years exp with Open Tibia and 10+ years of Tibia i general.
And i have experience with everything on your list except the Graphical Part (Photoshop/Spiriting). And i would never ever use Xampp to host a website on o.o!
I got 5 Years of Private Hobby Linux exp and 5 Years of School Degrees in Windows Server and Network Security.

Some of my works you can see in my signature.
Right now i have my own Hosting Service as you can see, where i manage a couple of servers hosted in Germany and France.

If you want some more info or have any questions, add me on Skype: Jocce91
I am available almost 24/7

@JoccE, applying for 60$/month? no wai :p

@dbrown30, I got something to offer also. Not like I would like to work for 60$/month, but still might be an interesting offer for you =) my skype: fare_chasm

@JoccE, applying for 60$/month? no wai :p

@dbrown30, I got something to offer also. Not like I would like to work for 60$/month, but still might be an interesting offer for you =) my skype: fare_chasm

Money is not everything :p Already got a well payed job for that (RL).

Always a bonus to make some from a hobby tho :)

Thank you all for your interest in the Crescent Stones project.

I have reached out to most of you via private messages, Skype, etc.

Tomorrow, I will update this thread, provide additional information on the server, and will give any other important updates.

Have a good day!

Thanks,
-David

- - - Updated - - -

Hello everyone!

I would like to announce that I quit my full time job yesterday to dedicate more time to projects such as this one.

Although I have already hired more than one person to help me with this job, I see the need of other staff members in various positions.

In particular, it would be great to have someone who could create some sprites or graphical work.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
-David

Back