• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Linux Hosting on own physical servers (?)

hayrien

Reaction score
Hello!

I dont know if this is the correct sub topic to be posting this at, but i try.
I have a friend that offered to host my ot server and web server to the ot for free,
What i wonder is if anyone knows how this works? I understand how it is for computer hosting using the server launcher and xampp or uniform server for the web server for character creation, info, shop etc. But i do not know how it will work to set up this for the exact same effects as if i hosted it all om my computer. Also i will have to somehow remote control all files for the ot server and web site, also launch and close server, replace and update files.

I hope someone here has knowledge about hosting on private physical servers for tibia.

Edit: the physical servers are not near me; therefore i wonder if i can remote control it all from my place.

+++ this is an 8.6 forgottenserver

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong section i'd say, the correct one would be probably discussion.

Anyway, everything will work the same as you would use rented server. Connection depends on what OS you'll be using. I prefer linux, it's faster and i'd rather work from command line than do stuff on windows server (which i don't even know how to use).

If it's windows based OS, you'll probably need to use remote desktop connection.

I mentioned OS, because you choosed tax LINUX, and in your post you speak about xampp and other windows tool. I was unsure which one you would like to use.

You could setup a FTP server on the machine to get access to the files.
And use VNC/Remote Dekstop if you use Windows as @raf said.

If you use Linux you could just use a SSH Client to connect to the server.

Remember one thing, If you host on a private hosted server (home server) you won't be protected from DDoS attacks.

Remember one thing, If you host on a private hosted server (home server) you won't be protected from DDoS attacks.
I really recommend to you to use a DDOS protected server if you want to make a server for the public.

Probably, unless someone pays insane amount of money for insane speed and stable connection.

Home hosted servers are bad for online gaming, and big projects. Unless you have backup power generators, so your server can run uninterrupted (UPS). Basicly, there's alot of factors that come with home hosted servers - it's not worth hosting on one if you're aiming for popular server.

For small server, that is just starting, i would recommend Digital Ocean (yes, this is referral link). They've got great prices, and you can at any time scale up your server to your needs (or scale down).

For later use, i would recommend OVH if you're aiming for Europe. I'm not convinced about USA/CANADA hosting from OVH.

Probably, unless someone pays insane amount of money for insane speed and stable connection.

Home hosted servers are bad for online gaming, and big projects. Unless you have backup power generators, so your server can run uninterrupted (UPS). Basicly, there's alot of factors that come with home hosted servers - it's not worth hosting on one if you're aiming for popular server.

For small server, that is just starting, i would recommend Digital Ocean (yes, this is referral link). They've got great prices, and you can at any time scale up your server to your needs (or scale down).

For later use, i would recommend OVH if you're aiming for Europe. I'm not convinced about USA/CANADA hosting from OVH.
his system is extremely complex, this is a 35,000$ server

I really recommend to you to use a DDOS protected server if you want to make a server for the public.
ye we will work on ddos protection, thanks for reminding :)

ahaaa, this will be based on linux, as i have a friend that are extremely experienced we will keep in mind of ddos attack and find a solution. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

do you mind if i contact you for a couple of questions :)?

Back