• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

How to advertise?

Muzzy

Reaction score
Hey!

I've been struggling to get my server any recognition. When I decided to make my own, I was looking around for what people wanted, and I kept seeing people say "sigh, another 8.6", or "another real map, nothing custom?". So I thought that people wanted something new, so I struggled to get a 9.86 server to work, made a fully custom map trying to get interesting and fun scripts from here and there, but it's really not going well.

What do people really want? I see people tossing up real maps where you start with a lot of money, an extremely high regeneration rate and sometimes even without putting any effort put into them and getting 20+ people online with ease. Where am I going wrong? I'd really like to try to get at least one or two person to try it out and give me some feedback, but it's really hard to get any. It's gotten to the point that I get excited when I see even one person online!

Anyone got any advice? What am I missing? What is my solution? Should I go with the stream and run a real map server? I really wouldn't like the idea of that, because I went onto this road because I wanted to try to introduce the nostalgic element back into Tibia. I'm new to this stuff and I've never been seen hosting anything previous to this, so I'm in great need to hear what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks a lot if you read this far,
~Muzzy

Last edited:
Maybe you should promote your server in other servers... that's what i do, just to make angry the owners xD

The hardest thing about starting a server, is getting a STARTING community.

The instant you turn on your server, there are 0 people online. Most likely that will not go up, unless many people log in at the same time.

Most people resolve this issue by starting a thread about their "upcoming" server. They advertise what is good about their server, make youtube videos, and once they feel they have enough hype, they put a 1 week countdown. ~~Server will open Sunday 5PM Eastern Time~~

Then when your server comes up, multiple people will log in together. Tibia is meant to be an online game, it is not very fun single player (Unless your server is just that awesome, which doesn't happen very often) so you will need to get multiple people online right from the start.

I had success on MANY of my servers, but this is because I have a huge fan base for my "Species" servers. So you might ask, "how did species get popular in the first place?" The truth is, I have a Ventrilo of about 50 gamers that actually suggested I make the first species. So the second I created it, I had 50 players, in a week I had 300. (When people see people online, they will log in and join, if the game is fun, they will continue logging in)

Back