• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Gamemaster How to apply for jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reyna

Reaction score
Seeing very unprofessional and childish applications on this forum. If you want to take your position seriously, apply to your potential employer properly. This works in the real life also. Dress nice, write a decent resume and never center align!
Here are two examples of the same application. I'll start with the unprofessional one. Compare it to the proper one at the end.
(These applications are general meaning not applying for anything specific. It ties in mapping and gamemaster applications as an example)
*Just a quick note. This is not a legit mapping application. Maps were used as examples so you can see how to apply properly.*
**Corrections for the bad application will be in dark red.**

This is what you should NEVER do in an application:

name: John Smith

Tell us your age and nothing more. When you tell us how you act you sound immature and needy.

Spell your own country properly. Only use punctuation if your country has a symbol in it.

languages Spoken: egnlish, some french, and a bit of Spanish
Say what you speak fluently. Nothing else. That's irrelevant. If you are not fluent, you can't speak it.

why you should choose me: becuz i am trustworthy and i am nice to people but i can be strict at the same time. i have been playing for two years so i know all the comand and work with raw mostly.
Short and simple tell us your attributes. Don't say more; it makes you look childish.

What do you want in return: i dont need anything just full access in game to everything
If you don't need anything, don't ask for anything. If you do, simply state it.

experience: i play tibia rl for about 6 years now. and I play ots for almost 5. ive been tutor before and was god on my ot
How many years you've played is irrelevant. Tell us which servers you've been at and your duties.

examples of your work:
2vwwwea.jpg

6qch2v.jpg

1rrjbd.jpg

Keep your pictures small, and maintain proper alignment.

Additional notes: Capitalize the first letter of every new sentence.
Use proper spelling and punctuation. We'll forgive you if you accidentally make an error or two.
Maintain proper alignment TO THE LEFT

In the end make your application short and simple. If it's good the employer will contact you.

***Thank you to Elementz for this extremely important guidline***

BE CREATIVE :D

Here is the exact same application, but cleaned up and following the red corrections above:

This is what you should try to do in an application:

Name: Jane Smith

Language: English

Why you should choose me?: Trustworthy and experienced.

What do you want in return?: Full in-game access.

Experience:
  • xxx.ot; Tutor
  • yyy.ot; Gamemaster
  • zzz.ot; God

Examples:

11s1cly.jpg
9gas6q.jpg
nx9yxk.jpg

Contact: Please send me a private message to organize a follow-up for more information.

Last edited:
Thank you for the compliment realpwnz I really appreciate it.

However these are only example maps. Made each one just to put into the sample application so people understand the use of proper spacing, aligning and sizing. If you are an experienced mapper I would expect you to better what you see here within 30 seconds.

This is a nice example, but please don't use that big font size, it looks annoying :p

This is a nice example, but please don't use that big font size, it looks annoying :p
+1
@ONTOPIC: Good idea, but just try to fix that BIG SIZE, so people can see it more easier, and also, Try to make the first ones as a capital.. [country / age / language Spoken so it will be] Country / Age / Languages can be spoken
Thank you!

Reyna.. This is very useful for others. But 1 thing, Do never ever think of searching as a mapper. not offensive but you suck at it srsly

I agree with you. There are two samples here. The one on top with the large font is an example of what not to do. It looks ridiculous, and as you can see it has annoyed you also :p. The second application by Jane Smith is the one I'd like to see more people using.

+1
@ONTOPIC: Good idea, but just try to fix that BIG SIZE, so people can see it more easier, and also, Try to make the first ones as a capital.. [country / age / language Spoken so it will be] Country / Age / Languages can be spoken
Thank you!

Really appreciate the feedback. It appears that I didn't lay my examples out clear enough. The first example with the lower case letters and the misspellings are actually directly off of applications I have seen on this forum. I didn't randomly make them up. If it is something anyone can suggest to correct, it has be done wrong. Hence why the first example is what not to do. I'll try and make it more clear in a moment.

Reyna.. This is very useful for others. But 1 thing, Do never ever think of searching as a mapper. not offensive but you suck at it srsly

Haha this made me chuckle a bit. These maps were made, in about 30 to 45 seconds each just as examples so people know how to space, align and size their applications. I promise you I will never apply as a mapper with products like these :p
I actually mentioned this in a previous post on this same thread. PotatoSkin's comment is referencing you to check that xD (thank you :])

great example and guide, you only missed 1 thing :p BE CREATIVE :D

great example and guide, you only missed 1 thing :p BE CREATIVE :D

Thank you for this contribution. You are absolutely right, being creative makes an application unique and it is very important. Helps potential employers distinguish and understand your character on an elementary basis.

I've added it to the information above. :)

Reyna is the best mapper... EVER! I will post a picture of the city she made for me in a minute. It is amazing; took her about 6 hours (more or less, I don't remember) and it was perfect and FLAWLESS!
I highly recommend her!

I know it isn't; but people might look at it and see her mapping and want to hire her so thats why I put it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back