• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

How to choose the most suitable stack?

rickgv

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I hope so. If not, please point me in the right direction.

Regarding my question:

I'm a web developer who refers to the technologies I use to build my apps as my "stack." Although outdated, I have some prior knowledge about tools for building a custom OTS, such as map editors, AAC, server engines, and game clients. However, due to the numerous versions (protocol, server, and client) and tools available, I'm a bit lost on how they fit together compatibility-wise and where to find them.

Where should I start?

For example, if I decide to use Otland TFS (GitHub - otland/forgottenserver: A free and open-source MMORPG server emulator written in C++ (https://github.com/otland/forgottenserver)), how can I locate a compatible game client (like OTC v8) and the tools for working on maps, items, NPCs, etc.?

PS: I don't intend to create a copy of Tibia, but a custom game of my own.

Thanks for all the help.

In general you could just go with the latest up to date of all the programs you mentioned, if you wish to create something that is NOT Tibia related, just because of the functionalities and what not.

If you do want to create a Tibia server you have more options for older distro's etc, but would make sense to just take the latest of everything unless you want to run a more old-school or bare-bones server to start on, then you would need to do a bit more research for what versions of programs you need to use.

• TFS 1.6 just launched I believe, might be a good start! I use a edited TFS 1.5 distro but might update. There are around 4-5 branches from the official TFS 1.5 that have been downgraded to work for lower client versions like 7.4 or 8.6 etc, but since you are not aiming to create a copy of Tibia, perhaps using TFS 1.6 might be a good option.
  • Personally I use OTC as you can edit and change every single thing you want, although some just edit the original Tibia client.
  • For map editor I highly recommend the latest from OT Academy including lots of features including lightning and so much more.. Release Release 4.1.2 · OTAcademy/RME (https://github.com/OTAcademy/RME/releases/tag/4.1.2)
  • Object Builder and Item Editor depends on what distro/client version you use? I use Object Builder 0.5.5 and latest Item Editor I believe.
------------------------------

If you want we can talk a bit on Discord, name is Tenzhiro.

Currently running a project, which initially started with the usage of Unity but since OTS already had the exact functionalities we wanted, we decided to go for this route but using old school guidelines as that is what we found to be real RPG, not the crap they introduced after 8.2~

PS: I don't intend to create a copy of Tibia, but a custom game of my own.
Not sure if i understood you correctly but... It's going to be a copy of tibia as long as you use open tibia tools. Changing the look of the sprites or changing UI and writing a few custom scripts won't make it a new game. If you want to create a custom game then start from scratch or create your game on one of popular game engines like unreal or unity. There's a good 3D tibia clone 3Dragons (https://3dragons.games/) out there for years made on Unity (or unreal). I can't recall when it had more than 10 players online so you may re-consider making a custom game (unless you want it for yourself and your friends).
There's also such servers as ravendawn or medivia or poke servers or i dunno what else. no matter how hard they try... the servers are still OTSes and shouldn't be advertised as proper MMOs. When you play them you know and you feel it's just OTS. Not a custom game.
It's like saying that playing a total conversion mod for Skyrim or M&B bannerlord is playing a new game. It's not. It's still the same game but modded.

As Tenzhiro said:
for the server you may try TFS 1.6 (it's pretty new, i think you may encoutner a number of issues without fixes anywhere)
or alternatively 1.5 or 1.4.2

OTClient -> I would say there's main two releases. V8 and Mehah. Check both and decide what's more convinient for you. OTClient is pretty much compatibile with any TFS.
If you want to create something custom you should not consider official tibia clients since they're not open source.

Map editor - as Tenzhiro advised
Object builder/item editor - as above

yet, once again, if you don't want to create another OTS but a custom game then open tibia tools are not a good choice.

In general you could just go with the latest up to date of all the programs you mentioned, if you wish to create something that is NOT Tibia related, just because of the functionalities and what not.

If you do want to create a Tibia server you have more options for older distro's etc, but would make sense to just take the latest of everything unless you want to run a more old-school or bare-bones server to start on, then you would need to do a bit more research for what versions of programs you need to use.

• TFS 1.6 just launched I believe, might be a good start! I use a edited TFS 1.5 distro but might update. There are around 4-5 branches from the official TFS 1.5 that have been downgraded to work for lower client versions like 7.4 or 8.6 etc, but since you are not aiming to create a copy of Tibia, perhaps using TFS 1.6 might be a good option.
  • Personally I use OTC as you can edit and change every single thing you want, although some just edit the original Tibia client.
  • For map editor I highly recommend the latest from OT Academy including lots of features including lightning and so much more.. Release Release 4.1.2 · OTAcademy/RME (https://github.com/OTAcademy/RME/releases/tag/4.1.2)
  • Object Builder and Item Editor depends on what distro/client version you use? I use Object Builder 0.5.5 and latest Item Editor I believe.
------------------------------

If you want we can talk a bit on Discord, name is Tenzhiro.

Currently running a project, which initially started with the usage of Unity but since OTS already had the exact functionalities we wanted, we decided to go for this route but using old school guidelines as that is what we found to be real RPG, not the crap they introduced after 8.2~
Hi, Tenzhiro, thanks for your reply. You pointed out some good ideas. I'll definitely give OTAcademy a try. I'm still gathering the data I need to get my project started and would be awesome to have someone to talk to. I'll send you a DM, is that alright?

Not sure if i understood you correctly but... It's going to be a copy of tibia as long as you use open tibia tools. Changing the look of the sprites or changing UI and writing a few custom scripts won't make it a new game. If you want to create a custom game then start from scratch or create your game on one of popular game engines like unreal or unity. There's a good 3D tibia clone 3Dragons (https://3dragons.games/) out there for years made on Unity (or unreal). I can't recall when it had more than 10 players online so you may re-consider making a custom game (unless you want it for yourself and your friends).
There's also such servers as ravendawn or medivia or poke servers or i dunno what else. no matter how hard they try... the servers are still OTSes and shouldn't be advertised as proper MMOs. When you play them you know and you feel it's just OTS. Not a custom game.
It's like saying that playing a total conversion mod for Skyrim or M&B bannerlord is playing a new game. It's not. It's still the same game but modded.

As Tenzhiro said:
for the server you may try TFS 1.6 (it's pretty new, i think you may encoutner a number of issues without fixes anywhere)
or alternatively 1.5 or 1.4.2

OTClient -> I would say there's main two releases. V8 and Mehah. Check both and decide what's more convinient for you. OTClient is pretty much compatibile with any TFS.
If you want to create something custom you should not consider official tibia clients since they're not open source.

Map editor - as Tenzhiro advised
Object builder/item editor - as above

yet, once again, if you don't want to create another OTS but a custom game then open tibia tools are not a good choice.
Hi, Dercas, I'm sorry, I didn't express myself clearly. What I meant is that I'm not really interested into emulating the features presented by CipSoft nowadays. I enjoy, basically, how the player interacts with objects, npcs, how he can move around.
Your information was too valuable. I'll check the projects you suggested and run some local tests.

--------
One thing I'm really obsessed with is the interface between LUA and C++. I find it very interesting how extensible LUA makes the CPP project.
I believe there has been a revolution on that regard, and that's why I lean towards newer releases tho not that much into features recently implemented by CipSoft.

I thank you all for the info. You were too kind.

Not sure if i understood you correctly but... It's going to be a copy of tibia as long as you use open tibia tools. Changing the look of the sprites or changing UI and writing a few custom scripts won't make it a new game.
I'm wondering if anyone said that back in 1997 after playing Ultima VI or VII and someone told that person that few folks are working on a game with similar map structure, perspective, equipment handling, combat or magic system but its mmo. Did someone say "oh man, it's just Ultima but online...".

I'm wondering if anyone said that back in 1997 after playing Ultima VI or VII and someone told that person that few folks are working on a game with similar map structure, perspective, equipment handling, combat or magic system but its mmo. Did someone say "oh man, it's just Ultima but online...".
There was literally Ultimata Online released in 97 but devs didn't use other games 'open tools' so it was released as a new game rather than private server, lol

I think there ain't a clear distinction when to categorize a change as a new update, upgrade, patch, version or game.
Counter Strike made some changes recently and was released as Counter Strike 2.
It ain't rare for games to release DLC's with more content than the base game.
Lots of games are built with engines like Unity, which provide basic mechanics; one can also easily buy assets from the store.
It's a gray zone, I can't come to a definitive conclusion.

Regarding the project of mine, I like the basic systems and art from Tibia, which was my first MMO, back in early 2000's.
Nowadays we have these games full of advanced systems, 3D graphics, visual effects, that is easy to forget how simple things were, but also rewarding.
I remember logging into the game just to explore the map, talk to strangers, make friendships, rune BP's of UH, so I could try to kill that dragon by the Dwarven Bridge.
Those were the good days: simple, but meaningful.

If you are looking to not copy tibia, but rather make a custom game engine, search for my server thread, it's called black tek. Black tek is an incubator project that I am developing to transform into a custom game engine, rather than a tibia game engine.

If you are looking to not copy tibia, but rather make a custom game engine, search for my server thread, it's called black tek. Black tek is an incubator project that I am developing to transform into a custom game engine, rather than a tibia game engine.
Thanks for your reply. I'll surely watch it out.

Back