• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Is my server "secure"?

strrmx

Reaction score
Hello all, and thank you for your time.

I recently downloaded a set of files that seemed to be "complete". I launched the .exe and I was able to connect to the server. Then I forwarded my ports and set the IP in config.lua to my servers "global IP". Then I used no-ip.com to set up an address (even though tracert still reveals my real IP). At this point, my friends are able to connect to the server. I am hoping someone could explain to me how vulnerable the server would be and how to fix these issues. I read nevermore's "your first open tibia server" tutorial, but it seemed that much didn't apply to my situation because the first 3 steps just involved getting the server to be connectable from other players besides the host, which mine is able to do. I tried installing XAMPP, but didn't understand much. Any help would be appreciated. I'd rather it just be a server for friends then get hacked, but I'd love to do my 1st public release as well!

Edit: I think it is important to note that I don't have any .dll or .sql files that are related to sql? It seems in the config that everything is done via XML (such as loading player data). This is a 7.6 server btw.

Thank you!

Last edited:

I recently downloaded a set of files that seemed to be "complete". I launched the .exe and I was able to connect to the server. Then I forwarded my ports and set the IP in config.lua to my servers "global IP". Then I used no-ip.com to set up an address (even though tracert still reveals my real IP). At this point, my friends are able to connect to the server. I am hoping someone could explain to me how vulnerable the server would be and how to fix these issues. I read nevermore's "your first open tibia server" tutorial, but it seemed that much didn't apply to my situation because the first 3 steps just involved getting the server to be connectable from other players besides the host, which mine is able to do. I tried installing XAMPP, but didn't understand much. Any help would be appreciated. I'd rather it just be a server for friends then get hacked, but I'd love to do my 1st public release as well!

Edit: I think it is important to note that I don't have any .dll or .sql files that are related to sql? It seems in the config that everything is done via XML (such as loading player data). This is a 7.6 server btw.

Thank you!
for security, getting your ip with the no.ip is extremely easy as you said in your post, so if someone decides to ddos you, you're pretty much fucked
older server versions used XML for handling player data so there won't be and need for sql files or anything like that.
you can find DLL files here based on what the exe is compiled in (64 or 32bit)

Thank you Xeraphus.

And forgive me, but what would I need those .dll files for? I am able to do everything I like from my GM account ingame, what need do I have for those, do they enhance security? I am a noob when it comes to this stuff. Thank you.

Edit: I tried adding you on discord, but it said name was invalid?

Thank you Xeraphus.

And forgive me, but what would I need those .dll files for? I am able to do everything I like from my GM account ingame, what need do I have for those, do they enhance security? I am a noob when it comes to this stuff. Thank you.

Edit: I tried adding you on discord, but it said name was invalid?
sorry i misunderstood, i thought you needed the dll files to run the exe
also idk what's been going on with my discord name, it's 100% correct but people aren't able to add me for some reason
Akb1POQ.png

ill probably report it as a bug or something since i have the thing enabled where everyone is allowed to add me
edit: apparently the people saying they cant add me are doing it wrong, go to friends tab and click add friend and put my discord in lol

Last edited:
Oh yeah no, my server is already up and running and connectable from friends. I guess there isn't much else to secure then besides getting DDOS protection right?

Last edited:

Thank you!
If you use XAMPP dont forget to change the root passwords in PMA, because after a fresh install they have no password at all.

Back