• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Italy] [7.7] Realots Testserver (oldschool PvP-E mode; 50% exhaust)

Which PvP mode would you like to see this experimental server in? (private votes)

• PvP-E (50% exhaust for aggressive runes and spells, no skulls and frags, exp for player kills)

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Normal PvP (6 frags/day, 10 frags/week, 20 frags/month for ban and normal exhaust etc)

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Normal PvP (10+ frags/day, 20+ frags/week, 40+ frags/month for ban and normal exhaust etc)

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Non-PvP (no player killing, normal exhaust)

Votes: 10 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@Muminos
You can't start what has never stopped :D

Don't know whether this question has been answered before. Are you working anything on the clients 'framerate problem'? Like many other retro-servers the client is 'hacking' like you got low framerate.
Hope you understand what I'm referring to.
Do you mean with the classic client we're using right now?
The only issue I'm aware of is that with this client the FPS is lost quickly over time due to what I imagine is a bug or a poor graphics implementation by the original developers.
There is a workaround: Go to Options -> Graphics -> Advanced, and switch from the Graphic Engine you're currently using to a different option and back to the option you were using.
This seems to reset something in the engine which gets your FPS back to max without having to restart the client. I would also suggest almost never setting FPS to MAX unless your max FPS is really low (like 30) as in my experience the MAX setting will make you lose FPS quicker, but your experience may vary.

If you struggle with low FPS from the moment you open the client and login, then you should try out one of the other Graphic Engines other than the one you're using (DirectX5, DirectX9 or OpenGL). Again go to Options -> Graphics -> Advanced to do this.
And if that doesn't help you you might need a better or different GPU or GPU drivers.
Some people say GPU doesn't matter with the original client, but I went from max ~150 to around 600 or 800 FPS with the original client with my latest GPU upgrade.

As for smoothness, I've found in my experience that the Classic Client is actually the smooth one while OTClient has been very jittery, awkward and even glitchy in my experience.
But to compensate OTClient yields many times more FPS, has many more built-in features, is fully extensible, and the issues I just mentioned might just be an implementation detail, so they've both got their own drawbacks imho.

@brago37 Do you actually have a low FPS or is it something else that feels similar to low FPS?

It feels similar. If i choose max i got around 350. Usually i lower it to 80-100fps. I’ve tried restarting the client, aswell as earlier mentioning- switching between graphic modes (open gl, directx5 etc).

Notice:
I've been having fun lately by experimenting with trying to manually IP ban a couple of OTS hosters who's been visiting my server for a while but are no longer welcome due to a lack on their part of common sense and basic human decency, yet at least one of them are trying to IP ban evade and constantly switching between proxies to connect which are being counter-acted with large IP-range bans.
As a result a few select legitimate users may accidentally have gotten flagged and may no longer be able to connect as well.
If both the web server and the game server appears permanently offline to you and you haven't done anything to deserve an IP ban, please make a post about it here or send me a PM with at least the two first of a total of four numbers in your IP and I'll make sure to lift your unintentional IP ban as long as you haven't broken the rules severely and was manually IP banned as a result in the past.
For the record: this kind of thing won't become a problem in the future as I'm just experimenting with this right now for fun and to learn, considering this is still a test server and that there's very few players and no active donators atm.
But on a potential future stable server I will never be so negligent as to take actions like these unless absolutely necessary e.g. in the case of DDoS attacks.

Update:
Taking a break from active server maintenance, playing and developing for now.
I'm very passionate about accomplishing things with this and other projects that I'm working on as well as trying to turn the OTS community into a more constructive and mature one somehow but with no success so far, and I also feel like this passion that I have is not really shared at all right now among any of the current active players/community, so there's both just too much work/stress and too little selfless interest, passion and appreciation from the currently active/playing community for me to be pushing myself any further right now while being down about a total of €100 due to hosting costs.
I'm still working a little here and there on the socket handler that I've been writing from scratch and been working on to create the most reliable and secure network and server experience for players in the future, but like I've said I don't have the motivation to push myself so much anymore with this situation I find myself in, so it will just have to take however long it has to take while I'm working on myself and get my inspiration and motivation back.

Still a thanks to the donators such as @Thin Small Fist, Brown and others, people with kind or positive words such as @BoneZ and others, and to the developers such as @Toor and @Yamaken who released the various files and applications that's made it possible to host this server in the first place, all of you have helped me get this far either directly or indirectly as I would otherwise either not have the necessary applications to run the server or the motivation and interest to continue on with this project.
Wish you all the best.

I'll still continue to post regular updates here every few weeks or so whether or not there's been any progress or changes just to let you all know what's up.
Happy gaming.

Last edited:
@vincentjuh15
Hey there. The server programs are basically done (all the major network related stuff that I was struggling with are now solved), but there's still something left like redesigning the SQL, finishing my web router and rewriting the website, and I'm not at all as motivated as I used to be for various reasons, stress, basically no donations and hype being the most obvious ones, but there's other ones as well such as me having started a new project for fun which is to make a new OTS in Python (mainly for fun, but who knows), which is much more fun and less stressful paradoxically enough than Realots development ever was and with a lot more creative potential which I appreciate a lot, and I enjoy this type of development much more.

If I'm going to finish anything related to Realots anytime soon it might be some basic polling system just so you all have the option to provide me your feedback about things like what types of players you are, what kind of changes you'd like to see, what you're hyped about, etc.
But for the main part I'm just gonna chill and work on whatever I feel like working on to maintain my health and sanity, and most likely Realots will be finished in due time, which is whenever I feel like working on it again :)

Much <3 e.e

I am extremely sorry but I have to write that. This server is not a reflection of realots server. It resembles some aspects but it is not a server on which I was given to play a few years back.
It is such a pitty that there is no more server like RealOTS 2.0 or 3,5

I am extremely sorry but I have to write that. This server is not a reflection of realots server. It resembles some aspects but it is not a server on which I was given to play a few years back.
It is such a pitty that there is no more server like RealOTS 2.0 or 3,5
Hi. This is just vanilla Realots/7.7 with some bonus recreations of realots.net customizations like sniper stars and added weapon attack made by the-realots.net.
I just added these on this test server for fun since they were available. Full realots.net files was never publicly released, only vanilla and the-realots.net files was, and with this test server you're seeing a mix of the two + some basic map tweaks of my own such as soloable desert quest, demona tp, high rates, etc.
I have some plans to recreate realots.net with the help of the community if there's a large interest in it, but my own main interest is simply in the full vanilla 7.7 experience + more customized servers of my own (new npcs, monsters, hunting spots, raids, items and systems of my own in the future), not recreating realots.net (Dagorlad, 8.0 outfits, pay for exp and skills, blehh, I didn't much like any of that).
In other words I will add what I think was good about realots.net and leave what I didn't like.
And if your only interest is in complaining about that you should just go host your own server and recreate it yourself instead.

Last edited:
Small update:
Been working a little on the QM in the past few days.
Here's a short summary of the total progress:
* Network class: Basically done / fully functional.
* Login Server: Basically done, takes 5 minutes to finish once I've finished the SQL schema first.
* Query Manager: 90% of the basic functionality done.
* SQL Schema: About 50% done.

Tiny update:
* QM: 96% of basic functionality done.
realots1sthouse.png

Been working the most on my PyOT2 project since it's more fun, and slacking even more so.
pyot2.png

I got basic movement working recently. Fun breakthrough.
Somehow it was harder to read and understand otserv's source code for character movement than it was to analyze/re the network data on my own though, lol..

so if im understanding correctly you never plan to host a server you just like making things that already exist and then remaking them in some more elaborate way to add complexity for no apparent reason?

Small update:
Been working a little on the QM in the past few days.
Here's a short summary of the total progress:
* Network class: Basically done / fully functional.
* Login Server: Basically done, takes 5 minutes to finish once I've finished the SQL schema first.
* Query Manager: 90% of the basic functionality done.
* SQL Schema: About 50% done.
Where did you acquire your skills from?
I'm a junior computer engineering student and I have no idea how to make a class on c++ properly.

Where did you acquire your skills from?
I'm a junior computer engineering student and I have no idea how to make a class on c++ properly.
Basically by just having a lot of free time, a general interest in computer systems and programming, and having fun playing with things.
I learned very basic Perl many years ago, some PHP maybe 4-5 years ago, and Python only a couple of years ago or so.
Then as I decided to work on this project and realized that I'm really not happy with some of this server infrastructure, I went on to experimenting with some low level networking in Python less than a year ago and learned more and more over time.
I still don't know any C++, but I'm happy not to :)

Last edited:
Basically by just having a lot of free time, a general interest in computer systems and programming, and having fun playing with things.
I learned very basic Perl many years ago, some PHP maybe 4-5 years ago, and Python only a couple of years ago or so.
Then as I decided to work on this project and realized that I'm really not happy with some of this server infrastructure, I went on to experimenting with some low level networking in Python less than a year ago and learned more and more over time.
I still don't know any C++, but I'm happy not to :)
Keep up with your projects man, your work seems decent and neat.

Can you please make Rashid to buy "beastslayer axe" and "Wand of Inferno" ?
I have lots of them and cannot sell

Edit:
15:14 Meleh: hi
15:14 Eremo: Welcome to my little garden, adventurer Meleh!
15:14 Meleh: amulet of loss
15:14 Eremo: What a strange name for an amulet. Never heard about that one.

Also Eremo don't sell amulet of loss...

Last edited:
Can you please make Rashid to buy "beastslayer axe" and "Wand of Inferno" ?
I have lots of them and cannot sell

Edit:
15:14 Meleh: hi
15:14 Eremo: Welcome to my little garden, adventurer Meleh!
15:14 Meleh: amulet of loss
15:14 Eremo: What a strange name for an amulet. Never heard about that one.

Also Eremo don't sell amulet of loss...

Amulets of loss are useless. If you die you don't drop any items

Back