• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

League of Legends, the new "Tibia"

Worr

Veteran OT User
Reaction score
Apart from the fact that Tibia is/was labeled differently, they became successful in similar ways. Already back on the first server, Tibia, later named Antica — a core concept was to compete and fight for what you earned. Not very unique, but look at game play:

- "3D" with a simple top-down 2D view
- Skill shots (and later targeted abilities too)
- In-depth story line (compared to for example Counterstrike, which is mostly realistic and "copied").

I can't see any major differences, apart from things that became modern long after Tibia was created and before/during League of Legends time.

Any thoughts?

Don't know what the point of this thread is, but the games are not even remotely similar in my opinion.

Genre:
Tibia - MMORPG
Lol - MOBA Strategy

Graphics:
Tibia - 2D pixel-art
Lol - 3D rendered models

Gameplay:
Tibia - Play a character from the start, participate in all kinds of activities, hunt, war, events, etc.
Lol - A few game modes, each game is a new game, lasts approximately 20-60 minutes.

Character diversity:
Tibia - 4 vocations with very little option for diversity on higher levels even after promotion and everything
Lol - 100+ characters, each different from another, and 5 roles

Maybe you are asking why LoL is more successful than Tibia?
  • Created in more modern times with a huge fanbase of such games (mainly Dota players) to capitalize on
  • Lead by a much more competent and professional team
  • Even though bots for LoL exist, they never dominated an entire game server and created a problem that ran the company into the ground and drove away other players
  • Is more visually appealing
  • Capitalizes on its own popularity exponentially and it rises more and more every year
I can go on, but you catch my drift.

Don't know what the point of this thread is, but the games are not even remotely similar in my opinion.

Genre:
Tibia - MMORPG
Lol - MOBA Strategy

Graphics:
Tibia - 2D pixel-art
Lol - 3D rendered models

Gameplay:
Tibia - Play a character from the start, participate in all kinds of activities, hunt, war, events, etc.
Lol - A few game modes, each game is a new game, lasts approximately 20-60 minutes.

Character diversity:
Tibia - 4 vocations with very little option for diversity on higher levels even after promotion and everything

• Created in more modern times with a huge fanbase of such games (mainly Dota players) to capitalize on
  • Even though bots for LoL exist, they never dominated an entire game server and created a problem that ran the company into the ground and drove away other players
  • Capitalizes on its own popularity exponentially and it rises more and more every year

another thing !!
when you report someone who use unofficial program !! they gave him nice ban :)
not like tibia .. never look at ppl reports

attachment.php

only liked that because that image is hilarious.(Writing lol so everyone knows I laughed :p)

another thing !!
when you report someone who use unofficial program !! they gave him nice ban :)
not like tibia .. never look at ppl reports

You probably don't know what it's like to run a game, as a business. You simply cannot ban your customers. CIPsoft have released counter measures since the early days. Many of these were inspired by Open Tibia, with more casual gameplay. They also added many bot features, that people couldn't live without.
It's funny, that they "had" to give players "pg" features like training monks. I guess some people missed being idle, making runes and just chatting. Some did it so much that they forgot to play the game at all.

A fun fact or perhaps just a rumour, is that the first bot detection for tibia, was created in the OT community. I heard it back on Radonia, Talaturens (@Mark) and @Souldrainers server. Another fun "fact" (speculation) is that Radonia inspired @Neon to start mapping. At least I met him and his brother @Sizaro there long before I noticed his mapping thread here on Otland.

Things are not always black or white, as the saying goes. Today it's probably known as TFS, as Radonia was probably just a open sourced, hobby project. It was quite amazingly well done, though.

You probably don't know what it's like to run a game, as a business. You simply cannot ban your customers. CIPsoft have released counter measures since the early days. Many of these were inspired by Open Tibia, with more casual gameplay. They also added many bot features, that people couldn't live without.
It's funny, that they "had" to give players "pg" features like training monks. I guess some people missed being idle, making runes and just chatting. Some did it so much that they forgot to play the game at all.

A fun fact or perhaps just a rumour, is that the first bot detection for tibia, was created in the OT community. I heard it back on Radonia, Talaturens (@Mark) and @Souldrainers server. Another fun "fact" (speculation) is that Radonia inspired @Neon to start mapping. At least I met him and his brother @Sizaro there long before I noticed his mapping thread here on Otland.

Things are not always black or white, as the saying goes. Today it's probably known as TFS, as Radonia was probably just a open sourced, hobby project. It was quite amazingly well done, though.

but i prefer ban my customer if they are cheater !!
if you can't do it yourself :| so you're not welcome in the game !!

Genre:
Tibia - MMORPG
Lol - MOBA Strategy

Graphics:
Tibia - 2D pixel-art
Lol - 3D rendered models

Gameplay:

Character diversity:

Both DotA and Tibia were popular games in Sweden and other countries in Northern Europe, long before League of Legends and even World of Warcraft came to the market. It doesn't make ask much sense to drop names anymore, but if you were around back them you probably know about a few of these players:

* Liam Darkcrosser (Swedish player on Aurea), deleted due to account sharing. Not sure if true or false, because many Swedes played on LAN cafés back in the days. He was getting drafting into the army anyway, which is the reason many Korean players quit OGN/LCK according to Christoffer "Montecristo" Mykkles.

* Messiah (Spanish speaker, forgot which server), played until he got bored. He then have the character to his little brother who masspked until deletion. The older brother went on to create BlackD tools, mostly to help his disabled friend play Tibia (according to an interview).

* Qwenball Toots (UK player, Aurea), is the only player I know personally from the Toots clan back in the early days. I must assume they played together before then, because they started with a family name, rather than a guild. Maybe it's tradition from when there was no such guild system. Maybe just for fun. I believe he came from or went to Valoria after the wars against Liam (Mandus) because he later created a perfect copy OT server of the wars on that server, aka Warloria.

The reason CIPsoft had such success in early days, was that starting "fresh" on every new server became the norm, but at some point it became a paradox. There was a market of character trading and that's not really acceptable for a children's game. A high level could sell for $100s or $1000s or even more. It was insane.

After all, Tibia started out as a MUD, that were originally just text and became what later became known as MOBA. There was no point in grinding PVE just to PVP.

but i prefer ban my customer if they are cheater !!
if you can't do it yourself :| so you're not welcome in the game !!

Cheating is impossible to chase, because they will never be as good as players. In the end it's all about team work and individual skill within the team. I remember people called cheats on my team the last couple of years and although some of my team mates probably did cheat, there was never any proof.

I made it a challenge to, whenever someone posted "proof", to upload myself doing whatever proved cheating, but better. With mouse recording. I doubt there are still many cheaters around oldskool tibia. The thing about "cheating" is that open tibia was rarely as well coded as real tibia.

Frame perfect combos was not difficult on 24 fps, neither was queuing up several runes and items (such as mana fluids) during one turn. It was just slow paced to help never players learn, and to prevent bots. Back in 7.1 there was no exhausts on runes and no auto cast on hotkeys. The info chat or whatever it was called was created because players misused the commands and settings. Before that you could simply write #w #s #y to autoditect to different chat windows.

I made it a sport to catch cheaters too, which never helped. They probably just turned it on to revenge. There was obviously no rank system, like LoL.

Speed hack is obsolete if you know the mechanics behind walking, movement in general and usage of items. It's like using quick cast on LoL before you learn the game. It was quite hilarious to play the oldskool servers "Neverland", "Outcast" (still active after like 10 years?), 36.hopto.org etc, where it didn't matter if you were level 169 or 400, unless you knew the mechanics of walking correctly. The better player (on equal ping) would always be better. But that was with SC Korea challenjour mechanux. I believe you could issue one command per FPS, so Max possible APM was only limited by hardware, software and ability to spam.

After all, Tibia started out as a MUD, that were originally just text and became what later became known as MOBA. There was no point in grinding PVE just to PVP.

Tibia is not a MOBA. Stop trying to group them together. It wasn't designed the sameway a MOBA is designed, nor was the game genre around when Tibia was first conceptualized.

The creators of Tibia made it during their college years as a project, and then continued development and eventually into a business once they graduated and saw that there was a niche that could be filled. (Most games back then weren't MMOs, only a few were and Tibia had an advantage of being free to play and very easy to run. Not to mention the file size was small and a dial-up connection was more than enough to play smoothly.)

Tibia was designed as a 2D light MUD MMO.
League was designed as a more casual, simpler and free version of DotA. The term eventually became MOBA once more games entered the scene (HoN, Dota 2, Infinite Crisis, Smite, etc).

You seem to be deluded, no offense. Tibia is nothing compared to League of Legends. League of Legends was developed by a huge team of enthusiastic people who took a working formula, took the main contributor to that formula, ironed out the kinks and made a new and better, more convenient version. Tibia was made by a small indie team who just learned how to code and decided to make an rpg, then "hey why not an mmorpg?", while there is some attention to detail in tibia, there are way too many flaws and overlooked aspects of the game by the developers, Also Tibia has no real skill shots, everything is instant in tibia, making true side-stepping a nonissue (is it even possible to add travel speed to spells/runes in tibia through some sort of Open Tibia engine?).

It takes 1-2 months for casual players to reach a point where they have the exact same potential as anyone else using their champion without paying a dime, which is level 30 (access to ranked and all masteries), and quite a lot of runes and champions. In tibia, it can take years and and even when you do reach that point, you're garbage without premium.

League of Legends developers strive to make the game all that it can be and do as much for the players as they can, going as far as monetizing the game without effecting ingame performance. Tibia developers on the other hand seem to be more interested in getting as much money from the players as possible, with the main source of their income being a direct alteration of the game (premium).

Cipsoft need to think about the aspects of tibia (old and new clients) that made it awesome, and add more of it, re-add it if it was removed or improve upon it if the system can be improved. They also need to think about what make the game crap, and remove/improve/rework.

Cipsoft can learn a lot from Riot Games, I'm sure that if another game company acquired ownership of Tibia, and looked at all the clients, asked for feedback from players and decided to remake it, they could make a really awesome game. Tibia has (or at least had) potential, unfortunately it's been squandered.

Last edited:
First time ever I won't be the one typing the most.

Tibia and League have 1 core thing that is similar, and is why LoL is the 'new' Tibia to some people.

Tibia and League of Legends are hobbies, and not really video games.

You play both for countless hours, there is a 'culture' to both which allows people to spend more time talking about/thinking about the game than just playing, you log in to both games client just to talk to people and not always just play the game.

First time ever I won't be the one typing the most.

Tibia and League have 1 core thing that is similar, and is why LoL is the 'new' Tibia to some people.

Tibia and League of Legends are hobbies, and not really video games.

You play both for countless hours, there is a 'culture' to both which allows people to spend more time talking about/thinking about the game than just playing, you log in to both games client just to talk to people and not always just play the game.
eeh doesnt that go for all the games?

eeh doesnt that go for all the games?

No, it doesn't.

There are video games that I love and adore, such as Popful Mail on the Sega CD and Guardian Heroes on the Sega Saturn that I have gone out of my way to get actually get the physical copy in box.

BUT, neither of those games I could call a 'hobby' or a 'life style'

I couldn't play 100+ hours of Popful Mail or Guardian Heroes if I even tried too, but i've clocked well over 1,000+ hours (probably closer to 5000+ hours now) of League without trying, and easily am past 10,000 hours of Tibia.

Thats because of a few reasons.

1. League and Tibia are a daily routine.

Often times I find myself at the gym or at work thinking about league while I do other things.
This has been going on for YEARS not days, or a month or two, YEARS.

Me playing League and Tibia is a daily event that is similar to checking the mail everyday, brushing my teeth, or even going to the bathroom.

It is apart of my daily routine, and it is habit for me to look forward to logging on there.

With a video game like Popful Mail or Guardian Heroes, or any video game really, the allure to it dies out after you have beaten it and gone over all of it's content.

As much as I love those games, I can't make them apart of my daily life, or stay hyped on them.

2. Video games stop at the game.

Once I've played Popful Mail, and showed it to my friends, and even record a 'Lets Play' of it, the hobby of that game is 'over'. I can't really do much more than that with it. I guess I could cosplay as Mail, but eh, no one on earth wants that.

But with Tibia and League, there are constant updates, I can make friends on them, and the games themselves lead to discussion that is outside of just the game.

3. Tibia and League are multiplayer, most video games are not.

I have made friends, real life time friends over Tibia and League, that I have bonded with, I have never actually done that with any 'video game'.

4. I can hang out on Tibia and League, I can't hang out on video games.

Some what similar to 4, but, I often log on Tibia or League, and just chat to people and mess around.

I can't just turn on Popful Mail and hang out on it.

Point is, League and Tibia are played as hobbys, similar to someone who collect comics, or paints pictures, while video games are something you play in relative small spurts and are done with afterwards. Tibia has literally outlasted the PS1, 2 and 3 for me, and their whole libraries, and is on it's way to outlasting the PS 4 too.

Back