• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Let's talk about: "Why Open Tibia is writen in C++?"

Tecosan

Reaction score
Hello. I don't know very well how open tibia started, but I think that would be nice talk about it and about the title question.

Why Open tibia is written in c++? Why not in c#, or java?

What do you think? What do you know?

Share your opinions and ideas here. (It doesn't matter if you smoke some weed, fantasy could help this thread to be funny XD)

Greetings from Mexico.

OpenTibia development started way back in 2002, back then C# or Java weren't as popular as they are now.
Today, some people rather code OTServers under C#, Java or Python because of obvious reasons, but since OTServ started in C++ well, then...
That's what I can come up with, I personally like C# and Java more for this type of task, but let's take in hand that performance is a must :)

OpenTibia development started way back in 2002, back then C# or Java weren't as popular as they are now.
Today, some people rather code OTServers under C#, Java or Python because of obvious reasons, but since OTServ started in C++ well, then...
That's what I can come up with, I personally like C# and Java more for this type of task, but let's take in hand that performance is a must :)

There is always a huge time commitment when switching languages. C++ is definitely faster than other higher abstraction languages; However, the community would include many more programmers if we switched to Java or Python. This would translate to faster updates and bug fixes. As well as drawing in the younger generation to the project. Personally, I'm not too familiar with Cpp - only ever used it in an introduction to computer architecture class, and that was years ago. On the other hand, Java is my daily coffee :D (Python too, but no pun). Additionally, IDE restrictions would be lifted. I'd be willing to collaborate on this project, whereas I'm currently afraid to make changes to major portions of the Cpp code.

Java allows for easy security errors. C++ has very good performance (importante when creating servers). I think C++ is a good language, even if it is way more difficult to write and understand.

Java allows for easy security errors. C++ has very good performance (importante when creating servers). I think C++ is a good language, even if it is way more difficult to write and understand.

The recent wave of Java vulnerability have focused on the Java applet model, this has nothing to do with our design idea. JVM running locally on the server can be as secure or even more secure than Cpp using the Security Manager. Additionally, features like garbage-collector, strong types, and array checks provide added defense and reduce bugs. I could keep listing benefits, but what I am trying to say is, which security errors? Lets critically analyze Java and Python as valid options and not disregard up front.

The recent wave of Java vulnerability have focused on the Java applet model, this has nothing to do with our design idea. JVM running locally on the server can be as secure or even more secure than Cpp using the Security Manager. Additionally, features like garbage-collector, strong types, and array checks provide added defense and reduce bugs. I could keep listing benefits, but what I am trying to say is, which security errors? Lets critically analyze Java and Python as valid options and not disregard up front.

You are right, my bad.

The server was written in C++ because that would have been the language the founders knew best. It could have also been influenced by C++'s good performance control, but realistically all it has done is allow for some sloppy coding with lower memory. If done right in Java this could be achieved easily IMHO. In java there would definitely be less bugs but there would be a huge responsibility to ensure code is optimized since a lot of the Java "magic" will happen behind the scenes sometimes having unforeseen implications, in random scenarios (but lets be honest, most languages have this problem to some degree). I would love to see a server foundation started by a pro java developer, someone that would know how to lay a good foundation for a JVM based tibia server. Unfortunately I don't see this happening any time soon since there would be a lot to write :D network protocol, dispatching, thread management, game core, data loaders, SQL (ORM), script interface (lua or what ever), combat logic, etc.

all these guys saying c++ was the most popular are just complete fucking morons. In the University the german buds studies c++ was the lead course. they knew c++ the best. thats it.

Last edited:
Just got permissions from Jiddo, he says its okay to use his sources however we like. He also would like to follow its progress. Anyway create some pull requests when you are ready to start developing. I can make you a contributor once I see that you are good enough for a full rights contributor :D Jiddo has actually done a fantastic job with this initial server foundation.

Take a look through the sources and see for yourself, its already better designed than most other servers out there. Just needs the full functionality.

PyOT (python) also needs some love. It's really good as it is right now, just needs more love from the people.

Back