• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Moving forward

OTLand is an open-source community, and there is nothing wrong with the people who run servers and make money from that, running a server is not essentially free and takes a lot of effort. The problem is when people use free resources such as The Forgotten Server and don't give anything back to the community -- or even worse, try to sell the resources they create.

We need to start working together to move forward. I've been working on The Forgotten Server for free for over 6 years and I've never asked anyone to pay me for a copy. When I see people fork my project, add something to it and sell their additions it demotivates me from continuing to share my improvements to the engine for free.

I'm not going to be nice and expect people to understand what an open-source community is anymore, as of today, I'm closing down the Marketplace board and making it illegal to sell OpenTibia resources on OTLand. If you're in an open-source community to make money, you're at the wrong place. It is still OK to charge for hosting services, and advertising such services should be done in the Jobs forum. Advertising websites where you can buy or sell OpenTibia resources will not be tolerated.

The best way to move forward is by doing it together, and therefore it is important that we help all the newcomers with their questions in hope that they will learn and contribute to the community. The support team has done a good job with that, but there will always be room for improvement. If you cannot contribute with codes or scripts, at least contribute by helping out the newbies in the community!

To encourage developers and end-users of the OpenTibia software to contribute more, I've also closed down the private subversion in favor of an open GitHub repository. While this may result in less donations to OTLand because many were paying for a premium subscription with the intention to get private subversion access rather than supporting OTLand, I will do my best to keep OTLand ad free.

Watch and fork The Forgotten Server at GitHub! If you have made any changes that you feel should be in the official repository, create a pull request.

Why dont fix the xml and lua thingy so scritps are better too read when people posted it

And the site is still not mobile friendly

great idea talaturen! unfortunately i think everyone will quit otland before helping for free.. nobody really cares about anybody else here, thats why you had to pay for everything. but you have done a greta thing here talaturen! keep up the good work.

So interesting idea really...most of the old distro doesn't work as it should, pop up errors and dozen of hours you need to bother with that :)

Guys since we are going to a new version and the older stuff isnt supported I think its time to implement a better way of sorting what works for what version etc. I see a lot of scripts working on version XX.X but not others and it isnt clearly stated. Most of the tools like item editors etc.
We seriously need to make sure from here forward that is clearly stated and it will make life so much easier for all of us.

I say archive all other threads and when someone gets something working solid for 1.0 then place it in its appropriate location. This way if people want their work and threads showcased they will need to update it and post it appropriately. Hope all that was made clear lol, im really tired

Hey guys in addition, since you are "moving forward" why not do a few other small changes.
Such as in the download section, in tools, add sub cats such as "map trackers", "Sprite/Dat Editors" etc...something like that. We seriously need just a tad more organization on the threads, would make it so much easieer on everyone.. what does everyone else think?

I wonder if TFS is going to stay using the old fashioned scripting system, I mean what is going to happen with revscriptsys from OpenTibia @ GitHub? Is it dropped?

I wonder if TFS is going to stay using the old fashioned scripting system, I mean what is going to happen with revscriptsys from OpenTibia @ GitHub? Is it dropped?
I think scripts are going to be compatible, probably with only a few minor changes if that. Dont take this as 100% but maybe one of the admins can chime in here and verify. Seems I was told this some time back it will be compatible.

With the development of 1.0 I think someone needs to do as we (mostly Drakkhan) are doing in the item editing thread and do some new and detailed tutorials on scripting that way we will have it in the new 1.0 section when they start it up...any takers?

Im so willing to learn, I have learned a lot so far but much left to do

Tbh, the " sources " you speak about were the least sold things on the marketplace. we sold tibia chars, services and struff like this. But this decision was just selfish and utter bullshit.

I think we should open the market place, and about scamming etc, well set a rule(that was there before aswell) if you buy and get scammed don't complain to the mods etc. Its the same if you get scammed on ebay, you don't go to ebay and cry?!

Sounds great and im really glad that you took this step. Thats why I accepted the offer the create the forum "TibiaStrike" a time ago.
Lets work together and make something special.

Kind Regards,
Eldin.

I think we should open the market place, and about scamming etc, well set a rule(that was there before aswell) if you buy and get scammed don't complain to the mods etc. Its the same if you get scammed on ebay, you don't go to ebay and cry?!
You do go to ebay and they refund the payment...

Not if you have proof that you sent the item or if the item was correct and working.

They Closed Market For 1 Reason :)

OTLand is an open-source community, and there is nothing wrong with the people who run servers and make money from that, running a server is not essentially free and takes a lot of effort. The problem is when people use free resources such as The Forgotten Server and don't give anything back to the community -- or even worse, try to sell the resources they create.

that's the reason :D

They Closed Market For 1 Reason :)

that's the reason :D

Still in that case, ot is pretty much the only community who dosen't allow buying/selling things.
But still ppl sell / buys via pm, and thats more insecure, insted of having those posts in the public and we can find scammers etc.
Still as I wrote a couple of days ago, why should not ppl like 5mock?(I think his name is) be allowed to sell his datapacks if they are good?
Im not saying we should allow selling tfs version 3884 clean, im saying advanced scripts or wanted scripts should be sellable.
Maybe even add that you have to pay extra to sell things, to get more money to the forum and tfs devs?

This was a really good step into a better future.
I do not recall how often I've said that keeping the sources just for Donors will make it worse for Dev's.
I'm all for it and you can be sure to get as much support as you need to get from me :)

Kind Regards, Evil Hero.

it would be cool if you end your .lua tutorial.

;)

Still in that case, ot is pretty much the only community who dosen't allow buying/selling things.
But still ppl sell / buys via pm, and thats more insecure, insted of having those posts in the public and we can find scammers etc.
Still as I wrote a couple of days ago, why should not ppl like 5mock?(I think his name is) be allowed to sell his datapacks if they are good?
Im not saying we should allow selling tfs version 3884 clean, im saying advanced scripts or wanted scripts should be sellable.
Maybe even add that you have to pay extra to sell things, to get more money to the forum and tfs devs?

Because people like that ones, encourage the return of the Money Faggots.

Because people like that ones, encourage the return of the Money Faggots.
But how is the community supposed to grow without money? Or will you help the good servers to get a dedi at hosteam?
And still, if we allow selling advanced scripts, characters etc (things that needs to be approved)..
And force everyone to buy premium incase they wanna sell smth, I think there would only be good things coming out of it.

And the "money faggots" would not be able to sell things, since there stuff would not be approved if they are trying to sell an unedited tfs etc.

Back