• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Moving forward

OTLand is an open-source community, and there is nothing wrong with the people who run servers and make money from that, running a server is not essentially free and takes a lot of effort. The problem is when people use free resources such as The Forgotten Server and don't give anything back to the community -- or even worse, try to sell the resources they create.

We need to start working together to move forward. I've been working on The Forgotten Server for free for over 6 years and I've never asked anyone to pay me for a copy. When I see people fork my project, add something to it and sell their additions it demotivates me from continuing to share my improvements to the engine for free.

I'm not going to be nice and expect people to understand what an open-source community is anymore, as of today, I'm closing down the Marketplace board and making it illegal to sell OpenTibia resources on OTLand. If you're in an open-source community to make money, you're at the wrong place. It is still OK to charge for hosting services, and advertising such services should be done in the Jobs forum. Advertising websites where you can buy or sell OpenTibia resources will not be tolerated.

The best way to move forward is by doing it together, and therefore it is important that we help all the newcomers with their questions in hope that they will learn and contribute to the community. The support team has done a good job with that, but there will always be room for improvement. If you cannot contribute with codes or scripts, at least contribute by helping out the newbies in the community!

To encourage developers and end-users of the OpenTibia software to contribute more, I've also closed down the private subversion in favor of an open GitHub repository. While this may result in less donations to OTLand because many were paying for a premium subscription with the intention to get private subversion access rather than supporting OTLand, I will do my best to keep OTLand ad free.

Watch and fork The Forgotten Server at GitHub! If you have made any changes that you feel should be in the official repository, create a pull request.

you said it best :)
Hey im not against learning but these guys yell learn learn learn, but i cant even get a reply on a zombie script here any more. How can I learn if no one is willing to help me? Wibbenz and Dominique have helped me more than anyone on here. Hell I was banned by Daniello for speaking up and saying whats on my mind. LIke Wibbenz said its one or the other guys.

Ye but looks as if @Mark isen't checking here anymore. But it should be either nothing or allow everything. But I created my own "support-job-thread", just like the others. Hasen't gotten removed yet atleast haha.
But would be nice to know IF anything will be changed, or if he decides to keep it as it is, in that case its just weird if he wants to keep it like this...
And at the same time I don't mind don having his service, gained alot of customers due to that. ;)

Not sure if it's just me, but adding a poll to a thread, or even editing it is so annoying - the page doesn't want to load up and when it does, it doesn't save the changes. vBulletin was so much more robust than Xenforo is now.

It's just you. It's like saying "XP was so much more robust than Windows 8". Don't compare a dinosaur to an elephant.

We are all aware that old OTLand wasn't an OpenSource community, it was mostly a place were everyone could make money, hence why it was more popular than OTFans due to the amount of chances you had to make some cash.
A community which you have to pay to get something good actually opened a lot of doors for people to come in and leave OTFans behind, lots of private stuff were sold here at OTLand which made it more popular, lots of new features, lots of new cash, much wow.

Hells Yeah! I agree completely! Great first step forward oh great Talaturen!

I'm honestly very happy with the changes. And I'm very happy that it is becoming illegal to sell OpenTibia resources. Because to me it didn't feel very open-source when the only thing that was every actually "open" were the things that the developers of OTLand, and the what seems to now be very few people that contribute to the community still. It mostly became people making stuff then trying to sell it. And while I don't disagree with wanting to be "compensated" for the work you did, that sorta brings out the businessmen in people and they all want to start selling their stuff instead of releasing it. I was a little saddened when I released the c++ code that would allow people to control summons with their vocations.xml and my thread sat at the top with only 1 reply for the longest time. It made me feel like contribution was dying... Maybe I am just rambling, but I really want us to all move forward and progress into an even better community where we can all work together to make new things happen, and the old things even better than before.

Thank you for bringing us to where we are now. :)

Bro I loved your contribution, and you must look at the views with optimism because I know I am not just one of four people to ever use that... It was a great contribution and I wish you would keep up your work with summons

I personally didn't use the marketplace but I'm not sure closing it will make the community "move forward", so to speak. The idea of everything being free and accessible for everyone I like, but it might come with unwanted effects. The a big group of people choose dedicate their time to something that they can get "something out of", sure you can learn stuff and help the community grow but the people who wants something "back" for their efforts will most likely just leave, or not spend the same amount of time at least. I'm OK with paying someone for putting their time into something that I stand to gain from, but that's my choice as well as theirs to "trade resources". It's the way the economy works, people are greedy and even though it's not a very pleasant truth, greed is something that contributes to growth whether we want it to or not!

I'm not sure what the rules say about donations, but a suggestion would be to allow/encourage people who contribute to the forum/community to accept donations. This way the people who put in effort stand to get something extra to gain, other than "learning/contributing to community growth" of course. And the people who want to contribute but can't script/map that well have something they can do! (Talking about the majority of "download&run-pay2win" server owners).

Exactly, it's truly not that much, and if you just keep in mind who that goes to and how much he does for everyone. People disagree with his style or methods or coding guidelines sometimes, but sure thats because we are programmers, we are SUPPOSED to think differently. That's how people learn from each other, and get better. Anyways doesn't matter, like I said, its not that expensive and could be something to keep mark at least slightly motivated through all the bullshit he has to deal with all the time...

Back