• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Moving towards OTC

What should we do

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well id more or less say what Mark and most of the others prefer (seeing as it now looks like TFS).
If you read the thread, you will notice that I was correct, people seem to prefer a code that is easy to read.
Just take this:
Code:
1*3/2+2+4*mfs-mvn*2/3

Things like that are imposible to read, but they are still approved in PRs.
Same with for loops;
Code:
for(int i=0;i<mxlm;i++)

Or what about the one liners if statments that you always miss?
Code:
if player:getHealth()<0 or player:getMana()/2>player:getHealth()/2 then return end

Wierd things that you miss = truoble.
That is most likely the main reason why Mark changed the code style with 1.0.

About the spaces, sure some prefer them saying they prefer the "shorter tabs" - but a tab is a thing you can change, a tab could look like 100 spaces or 2 spaces - learn to work with your code editor.

But yes the code style was a #1 for me, it makes it easier to find the issues aswell as learning the codes.
I have started with some smaller things, but it's really hard to even understand the grafics code since it's split out everywhere(thanks Gesior for telling me this) and how it's all so boxed.
So please don't say it won't provide any gain, the things ive already started to change to be more like the standalone client I would never have been able to do if the code was a mess, not even using serach tools.

You kinda just proved my point. As I had no trouble at all reading any of those and I'm not even that used to coding. I do sometimes, depending on the language, have problem with one-line statements, it's just because I never bothered looking/learning how that language handle one-line statements, not code style fault at all.

The issue is, the people who designed OT Client, used the type of coding they prefer. And Mark, when he re-designed TFS 1.0 used the coding style HE prefers.
  • Mark didn't make a vote on OTLand and make sure everyone was ok with how he did things. He just did it the way he wants.
  • OTClient developers did not make a vote on OTLand and make sure everyone was ok with how they did things. They just did it the way they wanted.
Now you may disagree with how they did it, but honestly. I can learn both ways. It isn't even learning a whole new language.

As long as you understand code, you can easily edit both OTClient and TFS. The issue is, everyone has YEARS of practice with TFS, and ZERO practice with OTClient.

You will have to learn, and it will take a little time, but it isn't hard at all, its actually very easy.

Yes ofc but as I said, I can understand using spaces insted of tabs, but I do not understand the mixing of things.
Are there 20 admins who just merge things or am I missing something?

Like you can take 2 files, one can be super easy to read even if it uses spaces, but the next one could be crazy to even attempt to understand.
We could also compare it to Lua, a super easy thing to learn and understand, if you know english = you pretty much know how to code in Lua.
But take a code where spaces are skipped, you mix up tabs and spaces, you write half of the code on one line.
Then compare that to a code that follows a decent code style, you can't say they are just as easy because you know how to code Lua.

You kinda just proved my point. As I had no trouble at all reading any of those and I'm not even that used to coding.
And I even had troubles writing them xD
But we are all diffrent, if you prefer that style then do that, but you can't argue that people prefer the style Mark has implemented.

To wrap it up, we now have 2 repos, diffrence is the code style.
It will be interesting to see if one of them will start to grow, might be the default one because of the PR from this one or the other way around.
Anyway I hope OTC starts growing, that we all spend time with it to make it grow.
If none of us spent time with TFS I highly doubt Mark would care to update it, he already has another source to take care of (shadowcores).

Yes ofc but as I said, I can understand using spaces insted of tabs, but I do not understand the mixing of things.
Are there 20 admins who just merge things or am I missing something?

Like you can take 2 files, one can be super easy to read even if it uses spaces, but the next one could be crazy to even attempt to understand.
We could also compare it to Lua, a super easy thing to learn and understand, if you know english = you pretty much know how to code in Lua.
But take a code where spaces are skipped, you mix up tabs and spaces, you write half of the code on one line.
Then compare that to a code that follows a decent code style, you can't say they are just as easy because you know how to code Lua.

And I even had troubles writing them xD
But we are all diffrent, if you prefer that style then do that, but you can't argue that people prefer the style Mark has implemented.

To wrap it up, we now have 2 repos, diffrence is the code style.
It will be interesting to see if one of them will start to grow, might be the default one because of the PR from this one or the other way around.
Anyway I hope OTC starts growing, that we all spend time with it to make it grow.
If none of us spent time with TFS I highly doubt Mark would care to update it, he already has another source to take care of (shadowcores).

The problem with OTClient IS NOT that we do not have enough developers working on it.
The problem with OTClient is that we do not have HARDLY ANY servers/players using it.

Is this because the OTClient lags? Nope not at all.
It is because the OTClient does not have a bot that can compete with other Bots.

You want OTClient to start being popular and used? Then help finish CandyBot.
If CandyBot had a perfectly working cavebot, targeting, and the ability to make your own customized scripts. Then the use of OTClient would increase GREATLY.
With more "customers" of the client, there would be more people wanting to develop for it.

Because, after all, most of you people do what you do for reputation. And if you make a huge amazing edit to the OTClient, making it work 1000x faster. And no one still uses OTClient, then who cares.

The problem with OTClient IS NOT that we do not have enough developers working on it.
The problem with OTClient is that we do not have HARDLY ANY servers/players using it.

Is this because the OTClient lags? Nope not at all.
It is because the OTClient does not have a bot that can compete with other Bots.

You want OTClient to start being popular and used? Then help finish CandyBot.
If CandyBot had a perfectly working cavebot, targeting, and the ability to make your own customized scripts. Then the use of OTClient would increase GREATLY.
With more "customers" of the client, there would be more people wanting to develop for it.

Because, after all, most of you people do what you do for reputation. And if you make a huge amazing edit to the OTClient, making it work 1000x faster. And no one still uses OTClient, then who cares.

To me it seems like one person is active with OTC - Summ.
This might be true, but I highly doubt it's just because of candybot. If people want to bot and use OTC they would inform us about that, I rarely if ever seen people even talking about candybot, tbh actually forgot about it till you said it now.
About the lags, it could actually be, because not everyone has a strong computer. Tested it out abit today and had no problems at all on a high exp servers with a billion effects and lights going off every second, but some might.

If people think candybot is something worth investing time into, sure why not. As long as OTC grows or someone else makes another OT client.
But atleast to me, I think there is some other reason then the lack of bots.

While there might not be much activity with OTC right now, when cipsoft moves to steam we might lose the ability to use the new client.
Making OTC the goto software, that or OT dies out by staying at the same version (well 8.6 might survive but not the 10.x versions).

To me it seems like one person is active with OTC - Summ.
This might be true, but I highly doubt it's just because of candybot. If people want to bot and use OTC they would inform us about that, I rarely if ever seen people even talking about candybot, tbh actually forgot about it till you said it now.
About the lags, it could actually be, because not everyone has a strong computer. Tested it out abit today and had no problems at all on a high exp servers with a billion effects and lights going off every second, but some might.

If people think candybot is something worth investing time into, sure why not. As long as OTC grows or someone else makes another OT client.
But atleast to me, I think there is some other reason then the lack of bots.

While there might not be much activity with OTC right now, when cipsoft moves to steam we might lose the ability to use the new client.
Making OTC the goto software, that or OT dies out by staying at the same version (well 8.6 might survive but not the 10.x versions).

People disregard the OTClient right away after they see that candybot doesn't work very well.

They will all normally like how you can use both sides of the screens for windows, they will like the improvements made to the minimap, but as soon as they discover that the cavebot is crap, they close it and go back to using the normal client.

They don't even want to take the time to complain about it, because they already have a fix for their issue.

Fix up candyboy that it can rival Elfbot, and everyone will use the OTClient.

About activity for the OT Client, most people working with it are making custom servers that have very little to do with Tibia, and most of the work done is in direct conflict of the systems that Tibia uses, so the work can't be commited to the base project.

Unless TFS stops signing normal tibia client and only OTC and include it as a part of TFS protocol

Unless TFS stops signing normal tibia client and only OTC and include it as a part of TFS protocol

Most people that play servers don't get involved with TFS, also there are no reasons to stop supporting real Tibias clients, as to make the OTC as good as it should be, we have to be able use the real Tibia client to check the systems, then recreate them for the OTC. (you used to be able to log on real tibia with the OTC, and we should work to get back to that point)

People disregard the OTClient right away after they see that candybot doesn't work very well.

They will all normally like how you can use both sides of the screens for windows, they will like the improvements made to the minimap, but as soon as they discover that the cavebot is crap, they close it and go back to using the normal client.

They don't even want to take the time to complain about it, because they already have a fix for their issue.

Fix up candyboy that it can rival Elfbot, and everyone will use the OTClient.

About activity for the OT Client, most people working with it are making custom servers that have very little to do with Tibia, and most of the work done is in direct conflict of the systems that Tibia uses, so the work can't be commited to the base project.

Okay good to know some more, I guess candybot is something worth looking into then.

If ppl like client like this is possible do :D
1433881018_526.bmp

Well to me, if you do simple things that others could use / want you should release it.
If someone wants a simple potion script, then why not release it?
Hope you get my point, it's not like he wrote all the code he uses.

If we keep everything we do OTC or well nothing will continue, not TFS, no new Lua codes etc.

I can design and code that interface like CIP have in standalone client with some improvements if you guys want, but only in the beginning of February.
That manabar i can do also, but TFS should accept the code since is a server-side feature too.

I can design and code that interface like CIP have in standalone client with some improvements if you guys want, but only in the beginning of February.
That manabar i can do also, but TFS should accept the code since is a server-side feature too.

How come it requires server side codes? ;o
You have the mana already, just like with flash we have no extra code for the mana bar, it uses the same functions as the "normal" mana bar.

Been thinking about adding the flash HUD to OTC, just have to learn abit more about how the code is built up etc
But even smaller things are welcome at my github page and most likely at the OTC github page aswell :p

How come it requires server side codes? ;o
You have the mana already, just like with flash we have no extra code for the mana bar, it uses the same functions as the "normal" mana bar.

Been thinking about adding the flash HUD to OTC, just have to learn abit more about how the code is built up etc
But even smaller things are welcome at my github page and most likely at the OTC github page aswell :p
Maybe i ask where the client will get the mana value? TFS send the health every time it change, should send the mana too. This is a server-side feature.
I don't know how Flash Client works, but this should get the value from the server too.

Maybe i ask where the client will get the mana value? TFS send the health every time it change, should send the mana too. This is a server-side feature.
I don't know how Flash Client works, but surely this get the value from the server.

Humm, but the mana bar is updated just like the health bar, so the client does in some way keep track of the mana.
The code is so messy so would take me some time to check, but most likely it gets updated when the server sends damage messages etc
I hope you mean what I say the mana bar that already exists, the one to the right above the EQ and below the hp bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back