• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

New Sprites Using 3d

Omni Cloud

Banned User
Reaction score
I am not very good at doing artwork when it comes to pixels but thought wouldn't it be cool to create custom tiles using 3d since in 3d you can simple create an object, apply a material and lights and then simply rotate the angle needed to render the image.

It isn't anything fancy at the moment, its just an example.
z1AasPA.png

Of course there are plenty of other programs out there which will allow you to make textures relatively easy but there is nothing like working in 3d. :)

To get the proper angle I had to create a planer from the map editor
kGCC34q.png

And then set it as a backdrop in the viewport
Which will allow me to set the proper geometry.
GyCrFp3.png

Of course it won't come out 100% perfect.

Since it is an object in 3d space you can select the polygons and apply textures to each to clean it up, like the top portion of the tiles where the materials are tiled.

There is ton of things you can do to realign the textures of course.

There is something called an environmental map where you can animate textures so if you wanted to create a new magic wall this would be something you would pursue.

If anyone is curious I am using Cinema 4d R17 to model and render these images.
http://www.maxon.net/
Studio edition, although you can accomplish this or something similar in any edition or 3d editor.

Last edited:
Cinema 4D should be a good program for this.
Yes, once you have your objects the way you want you can just swap out the materials, cinema 4d's body paint allows you to paint right on the textures or creature new ones, it has a lot of good tools to work with.

Yes, once you have your objects the way you want you can just swap out the materials, cinema 4d's body paint allows you to paint right on the textures or creature new ones, it has a lot of good tools to work with.
Hm, my I'll try something like this out too. I still got Cinema on my PC from some time ago :p

oh, that would be nice. But I use version R16, maybe I can update somewhere.

I tried before, but i stopped after thinking about some game engine and mechanics// thats too much to learn for me

This seems like nice idea, but:
aajwUQ3.png

Either my GIMP is scaling layers poorly or You're making those 3D objects way too much detailed.

First one it looks too detailed and the second one it looks like a scaling problem :p

This seems like nice idea, but:
aajwUQ3.png

Either my GIMP is scaling layers poorly or You're making those 3D objects way too much detailed.
They are examples, in no way am I providing or saying to people to use them in their clients.

Besides if I were to use them in a client I would do them to scale its pretty easy to modify the 3d objects. :)

Last edited:
You must be rich to use cinema 4d which cost 4000$ :)

Back