• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

No vocations server?

• Thread starter Deleted member 210450
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 210450

Hey guys. I am following Sinth's topic about vocations system and one of answers there, written by @DarkColon
I would really like a server with no vocations (..)
Made idea in my mind.

What would you guys say about server with no vocations?

You know, hm... You can carry any type of weapon, everyone gain the same amount of hp/cap, the same rate of skilling etc. etc. But then... How about wands, rods and spells at all? Drop all of vocations spells and keep only neutral? Or players would choose one of way (if they would want) like a mage and THEN would be allow to learn mage's spells?

Ppl are fine with anything as long as its fun.
I have classes in my server(vocations), but only difference are starting spells and how much base regeneration they get from food.

The reason why we use vocations is to force some diversity into game.

you can have 3 different paths on a no vocation server also so each path gives you something and maybe that path goes on and have more paths to each one of them that directs in different ways.

you can have 3 different paths on a no vocation server also so each path gives you something and maybe that path goes on and have more paths to each one of them that directs in different ways.
so you have paths that give you benefits and from each path you can take more paths? that sounds familiar, but i cant really place it...
oh wait vocations

well if you played project xdc he had no classes, its just every spell was a lootable spell and attributes u had on items effected them but that was a no vocation server

The no vocation thing works out well. You still end up being aligned to a certain vocation because of the type of weapon you use and spell dmgs being effected by skill stat.
OP combinations happen tho so there are usually balance issues. So anyway even of there aren't vocations you'll still be a vocation whether you like it or not.

I'm only comparing this to Project XDC like exorcist had mentioned.

I've played a handful of servers where there were no "vocations" and they were all boring EXCEPT Project XDC. That's the only server that managed to pull off the "no vocation".
Essentially there will still be vocations it's just that there won't be any limits as what you can equip or the spells you use.

If you are planning to make a server with no vocation you cannot use the vanilla tibia content because it won't work out. You'll need to go custom.

I started a "no vocations" project a few years ago and ended up abandoning it due to the amount of work required to achieve the desired result.
The plan was to replace the traditional tibian vocations with a progression skill tree similar to what you see in many other RPG's. Vocation ROLES were to remain.
This sounds like a small task, but is actually huge because as @Zasranets touched on above, keeping the game content suited to the kinds of characters that could potentially be created is a challenge. If you wanted to keep the current Tibia content the progression skill tree would need to be quite restricted.

Depends on how you structure your server's code, the equipment, spells, items etc can be easily modified to support no vocations or an infinite variation of vocations.

Making the game fun itself is the only thing that requires a lot of planning, although like most things you should really start small and allow your community to vote on how to proceed.

I voted for it. Because I once had this idea, while playing on his server actually xD, that it kinda sux u first need to read 5 pages about different vocations and are basicly still forced to make a blind decision on every option you're char is ever gonna have.

It's kinda overwhelming to have so many choices from the start. When you're just starting and not even sure you're gonna like playing a game.

And everytime you see some other voc do something kool you start over another character. And it goes on till u know almost everything about the game. By then you started over at least 4x times.

Even on real maps they're always kinda different with a boost here, nerf there. And if there's 1 thing I hate about ots it's vocation balancing. You never know what you're gonna get when you're making that choice.

I just thought it'd be cool if you can make spell choices that are kinda similar in power/value.
Like chosing either sio or ewave, UE or paralyze, make uh or sd. Stuff like that.

There's always something you like and don't like about every voc. And ppl never stop comparing them, complaining and balancing, adding new voc specific stuff.

When everyone advances the same way and can strip skills, spells they don't need, simply by training/ fighting another way.
Each can perfect their fighting style by taking bits of every voc that complements their character's specific playstyle. You still need to devote time to find what fits you trough trial and error. And no doubt you're gonna waste some time by working on the wrong things. But on the same character, not starting over a new and another over and over again.
The same should count for your health and mana pool. But it should be depending on your different skills.

In the end it should be possible to have a 1/1 ratio of hp, mana by equal, moderate amounts of skills/m lvl.

And by stripping I meant when advancing melee, you loose a dist skill if it was too high. And possibly a magic skill. There should be a constant relation between the different styles. So that they vary between advancing one can be maxed, 2 can be high and 3 will be moderate.

Back