• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

TFS 1.X+ Question regarding TFS versions

yuitsi2

Reaction score
Hello, I've been browsing the forum for a while and I can't seem to find any up to date information regarding what the differences are in the TFS distributions.

What is it that makes them different?

What do people consider when making the decision of what version to use.

My goal is currently to make an attempt at making a RL-like server, does that come into the equation?

Solution
Its just an updated and improved engine from the previous one, and is being actively improved upon. The only reason people are still using TFS 0.4 is because it is "kinda" regularly updated by Fir3element.

Your best shot would be to go with the newest version which is TFS 1.3, also TFS 0.4 is 8.6 native while TFS 1.3 is 10.98 native or something.

There are downgrades for 1.3 to make it work like 8.6, but it doesnt really match the "feel" of 0.4 servers, however it should be more stable and has alot of functionality that makes it easy to work on.

The programming language is different in 0.4 than in 1.3 but 1.3 can use some of the same codes as 0.4 because it has a somewhat limited backwards compatibility, although this is not...
Its just an updated and improved engine from the previous one, and is being actively improved upon. The only reason people are still using TFS 0.4 is because it is "kinda" regularly updated by Fir3element.

Your best shot would be to go with the newest version which is TFS 1.3, also TFS 0.4 is 8.6 native while TFS 1.3 is 10.98 native or something.

There are downgrades for 1.3 to make it work like 8.6, but it doesnt really match the "feel" of 0.4 servers, however it should be more stable and has alot of functionality that makes it easy to work on.

The programming language is different in 0.4 than in 1.3 but 1.3 can use some of the same codes as 0.4 because it has a somewhat limited backwards compatibility, although this is not recommended for obvious reasons.

Solution
The programming language is different in 0.4 than in 1.3
You are wrong. TFS 0.4 and 1.3 are both written in C++ and Lua is still used as a scripting language. The only difference in Lua is that 1.3 is OOP based.

Stability, performance, capability and much more is what makes 1.3 better than older versions. People are still using 0.4 because they are supporting older protocols by default.

You are wrong. TFS 0.4 and 1.3 are both written in C++ and Lua is still used as a scripting language. The only difference in Lua is that 1.3 is OOP based.

Stability, performance, capability and much more is what makes 1.3 better than older versions. People are still using 0.4 because they are supporting older protocols by default.
Not really a programmer :| what I meant to say was that the scripts are different;

-----TFS 0.4-----------------TFS 1.x-------
getPlayerVocation -> player:getVocation

Anyways, my bad.

What is the big differences in 1.2 to 1.3, can i find it somewhere? Im using 1.2, should i move to 1.3? My Lua codes will still working?

What is the big differences in 1.2 to 1.3, can i find it somewhere? Im using 1.2, should i move to 1.3? My Lua codes will still working?
It will be easier to update your scripts if you change from 1.2 to 1.3 rather than from 0.4 to 1.3. In my opinion, yes, you should, everyone should, the more people using latest TFS the better.

You can find some of the changes here: otland/forgottenserver (https://github.com/otland/forgottenserver/wiki/Changelog-1.3)
Note that this is outdated by a year, and that's only about a third of the changes made from 1.2->1.3 since 1.2's release. If you want more of an idea you can check the commits made for the past 2 years and see all of the changes for yourself. Your files will work just fine on 1.3, the main difference is that the function="xx" key got removed from actions.xml, and a script is used in replacement for items that used the function key.

Back