• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Samuro's Mapping Thread!

Samuro

GameDev
Reaction score
Greetings!
Welcome to my showoff thread.

Let's get started with my jungle town.

Walk the streets of Tanabu.
q56iJKs.png

Visit the park to rest your legs.
5HBfS14.png

The depot may be recognized by some eyes.
5Hm3HYA.png

Deposit your items to ease yourself from weight.
qlKexav.png

The blacksmith is situated in the back of the store.
DsUc23x.png

There are many houses to visit.
QHpus7N.png

So many places.
nNRAVk4.png

Buy some fresh fruit in Tanabu.
PAD3mX4.png

And finally, the temple!
NA13J2j.png

Last edited:
Your bordering is amazing and the style is definately something I'd enjoy quite easily. But I would remove the damn metal fittings - they are the most annoying and ugly borders in the game you could possibly use (In my opinion) and they doesn't fit the jungle theme at all. Without the metal fittings I'd say that this is perfect.

Thanks for your reply. Is there any other suggestion that you think would work better? I don't want to completely remove them because I don't like the wooden planks just ending in a straight line (if you know what I mean).

Thanks for your reply. Is there any other suggestion that you think would work better? I don't want to completely remove them because I don't like the wooden planks just ending in a straight line (if you know what I mean).

Since I'm only mapping with 7.40 I can't say which you could use. But I rather go with wooden planks without metal fitting, then with them.

I would also remove the jungle grass borders infront of house doors and entrances. I think the wooden planks would fit better up against the jungle dirt! Try!

I tried a few different things like removing the borders, removing grass borders around the doors. And then I tried replacing them with item id 19749 (new venore cobblestone border) and decided to keep it this way.

Great mapping, I must say I'm with auda on the metal fittings though :p ID 18910 might work?

I'm also not completely sold on the leaning roofs, I have a feeling it'd work just as well with the normal roof which would reduce obscuring (I might be completely off on this though, and I guess you've already tried them, but still :))

borderquestion.png

1. That's how I have it now, I like the colors so that's why I went with it.
2. The wooden planks just ends, and it looks weird imo, I'm not switching to this.
3. How I used to have it.
4. Kokokoko's suggestion which I think is a pretty decent solution. Fits the colors and doesn't stick out too much. Looks good and I may do this. I just want to hear what people think.

As for this:
"I'm also not completely sold on the leaning roofs, I have a feeling it'd work just as well with the normal roof which would reduce obscuring (I might be completely off on this though, and I guess you've already tried them, but still :))" - kokokoko

I took this idea from Macedoon's jungle town. I thought it looked cool and it gives the feeling of 'height' around the middle section of the city (around the depot), which I think is pretty cool as I (mostly) only have the roofs around there. (Link)

I like #2 coz your mapping has always been like that, Cip's like. But I personally would go for #4

As for this:
"I'm also not completely sold on the leaning roofs, I have a feeling it'd work just as well with the normal roof which would reduce obscuring (I might be completely off on this though, and I guess you've already tried them, but still :))" - kokokoko

I took this idea from Macedoon's jungle town. I thought it looked cool and it gives the feeling of 'height' around the middle section of the city (around the depot), which I think is pretty cool as I (mostly) only have the roofs around there. (Link)

Oh, right, now that I see the whole thing, I'd say stick to the leaning roofs :p

I'd go with #4 or #2, but another solution could be to add grass at the doorway - We all can clearly see that grass is growing inside the house edges, so why not at the door to? Anything would be better then metal ugly fittings. <3

I spent a lot of time writing lore for Maquala, the continent I was working on for Therran (IN THE SHADOWS!!!)
Anyways I'd like to share it with you guys, hope you like it as much as I do.

It's a work-in-progress and may change.

Maquala Concept Image

Tanabu, Tariaku and the Peacekeeper Circle.
Tanabu is a town located in the jungle continent of Maquala.

The former leader of Tanabu, Tariaku, an Elder druid, ruled the town alone. The continent Maquala have for a long time been the host of a war between the ape faction of Kiwicity and the town of Tanabu. The war for complete reign of the continent has lasted for many years of which Tariaku has been ruling most of the time. The soldiers of Tanabu have a different kind of training than most soldiers, being that most of them are druids. A druid who shows great strength and knowledge is known as an Elder Druid, once Tanabu had seven of them, including Tariaku. The six others were considered the “lesser Elder Druids”, Tariaku being the natural leader since he was more powerful in magic and knowledge. King Balaad of the monkey empire forged a plan for their next attack with one goal, to capture the six lesser Elder Druids, a plan that was successful.

Tariaku lost that fight, and returned to Tanabu, angry and emotional from defeat. After a while he got a secret letter from Balaad. Balaad wanted to make a deal; Tariaku’s life for the life of the six lesser Elder Druids. Tariaku accepted the offer without anyone else knowing about the deal. He went into the jungle on his own, telling the guards he was just going to “take a walk to clear his mind”, this was the last time he was seen. Soon the guards noticed the six lesser Elder Druids returning from the jungle. They went on to tell the townsfolk that Tariaku had sacrificed himself to save their lives.

Tariaku was celebrated as a hero. The six lesser Elder Druid decided to form a new society called the “Peacekeeper Circle”, which consisted of them ruling the town together. Tanabu has no king, no dictatorship, just a council of six Elder Druids ruling it and keeping it from danger. The society has a few goals: Revenge for Tariaku, complete reign of Maquala and Balaad's head on a stick. You are essential for their plan. The question is, are you up for it?

Balaad, The Monkey King
The gorillas, monkeys and apes of Kiwi city are intelligent creatures. Their leader Balaad is a power-hungry, war-loving enemy of Tanabu. He wants to rule the jungle alone, and expand on their city throughout the jungle.

Balaad used to be the prince of the empire. He had small amount of powers over the army and gathered a group of apes one day to slaughter people of Tanabu for no other reason than his thirst for blood. He told the group that these people were a threat to Kiwi city and had to be rid of. The townspeople of Tanabu demanded answers as to why such brutal acts were done. As soon as Balaad's father, Jarvan, the King, found out about this, made him furious and disappointed at what his son had become. He ordered his son to meet him in his chambers. When Balaad arrived, Jarvan told him that “the son he once had is gone”. He said he would remove him as heir. Balaad would not be made king.

Balaad furiously draw his sword and cut his father’s head off in one blow. With nobody else knowing of the conversation that had occurred Balaad gained control and full power of the city. He declared and open war with Tanabu for complete control of the continent, a war which is still ongoing.

Since it's a mapping thread. Err. Here's a mapping image!

"Wander the underground caves of Tanabu, and prepare your sword agains the Dworc armies!"
t8SnYri.png

Back