• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Storywriting Tutorial, improved

Mc-Pedro

Banned User
Reaction score
Hi kids! Today we're going to learn about Storywriting! Said the teacher and walked to the far end of his desk, the children looked excited into his eyes when he begun.

Hello Otlanders, just because I've spent much time in this community, I've started to like it more and more, and I thought while talking to some friends, why not remaking the storywriting tutorial? It's an addition to the forum and might or might not help several members, so now I'm going to teach you all (or at least a lot) of my knowledge.

The Storyline.
The most important, to me, is a good storyline, something you can relate to when you're playing, as I've used recently, is 'Enter the Hellgate', as what you can hear in the name, it's about Hell, yes, and gates, that would be obvious. But it's deeper than that, since I've added drama, adventure and excitement into my story, and I will help you with that later on, now back to the topic, the storyline doesn't have to be complex or the newest addition to the 'stories Hall of Fame', it just has to be able to understand, and play through, to meet the characters that was mentioned in the story, but maybe 50 years from when the story was actually happening, so now we come to one part that is hard for some, but easy for those with good imagination, also remember feel free to use ANYTHING, mentioned in the tutorial!

How do I create an unique story?
As for the story, the crowd and players expect something unique, and worthy reading to actually read it, so as it comes to an actual Genesis, it's pretty dull and boring to read, so make it exciting, with exciting line, like you end and exciting text with 'the war was on... whether they wanted it... or not...'.
But always start the story up with an event, you need to hook your readers stuck into the story, make them continue to read, then you slowly add the important stuff into the story but since you can always make them bored, you need to 'rehook' them into the story, as I said, exciting and good events will hook readers.
As you can't have a tutorial without examples, and I'm not in the mood to sit down and write down a long story, I will post an event from one of my stories, 'The Chronicles of John McStuart';

Example:
A few months ago, the south-korean navy had developed a new weapon of mass destruction against the American soldiers, the American navy had the south area of Africa under strict quarantine, the global warming effects had become critical. Through a massive choice of religions, they all pointed at one solution, a secret buried under a small rain forest region of Lesotbo.
The navy called in the finest scientists to reveal the secret buried far beneath, one of the scientists, John McStuart, with an impressive record, had the mission to find the exact location of the rain forest. Vehicles, airplanes, were banned from the world, the last supplies of fuel were going to be used for the expedition to Africa, when you had arrived to Africa, there was no return. Now or never...

As you hook the readers, you can eventually add the quests and important characters into the story like, 'And the mighty Ghazbaran was summoned in the Chamber of Fate, awaiting the mightiest hero to face him'. <Repeat mode=on> Event, event, event = Hook, hook, hook!<Repeat mode=off>
But in the story, and as I said, a genesis is dull, but having the old creation of the continent as beginning, side chapter or ending is also a great event, if you hook the reader up real bad and make him advance to the next step, the addiction of reading the story, then he might want to know how this mysterious isle was created, or what this mysterious persons background is. Also the small stuffs in the story can be fun for the roleplayer to discover in game, if the main character in the story dropped a note in the escape from a giant spider, you can add it to the playable world for the player to experience how it actually looked, and what was written down on it, a secret perhaps? Perhaps the character wrote this note to the person who will receive his old hidden treasure? Who knows? It's up to the writer to decide!

Naming and creating an addiction.
The names can play an important role, since as you look at the official version of Tibia, a lot of their city names are shortened up, because they are have been thought through cleverly, and you should do that too, as you investigate names as Venore, Thais, Carlin, Fibula, they are inspired, but from what? Oh yes, the Latin language, if CipSoft can come up with names like that, why can't you? As you've noticed in Tibia's latest updates, the names have gone from a high level, to a lower one, as I've overlooked Cipsoft's choice of names, I just couldn't bare some of them, I will list them, 'Trapwood, Meriana, Nargor, Grimlund, Nibelor, Okolnir, Tyrsung' I mean... What the...? Those names are examples of names who have not been put in thought, Think your names through, pronounce them repeatedly to see if it fits, or if you have to come up with another one, but as I said, CipSoft uses Latin as an ispiration for names, and the CipSoft team are humans only, and you can clearly see their lack of thoughts sometimes. And remember, just because many ot servers or RPG games end with -ia, -a, etc, you don't have to use them, as I mentioned above, I use 'Enter the Hellgate' as mine, which works quite good, and gives the players a good sight on what the servers story is, as for the NPC's and Quests, I can't really give you any tips but, normal names are great for NPC's, yes, but if you want your story to go further, like in your own world, where people speak their own language or whatever so, you can create them yourself, I can't really help you with that part, but the Quest names, you can just really look at Tibia's names, The Annihilator, Demon Helmet quest, also normal simple names, hope you find a name that fits perfect!
This will make the greatest roleplayer, to become addicted of your server, to really find out what lies beneath those great citywalls of your capital.

The Atmosphere, and the citizens of your world.
The athmosphere of the server is important, if you're interested in art and drawing, you should make up a scetch of your world, or a town, because making a random town by opening the mapeditor and just... Map, won't get the best results as you would creating your town in your mind, also remember, every town has their lowest part of the chain, the bums and poor people, so creating a slum in your town will give the rich and poor feeling to your town, also one important thing is the pure or corrupt. Will your king of the world/town be pure? Or corrupt, will he send you on quests determing your own fall, or will he praise you with great rewards for defeating a cruel creature?

Last edited:
Took some time to write the naming and addiction part. :D Hope I've helped you!

I have found some grammar errors in your tutorial and want to correct it.

alot - > a lot
wether -> whether
continent -> content

Anyway it's a nice tutorial if you want to know more about story writing. :)

I have found some grammar errors in your tutorial and want to correct it.

alot - > a lot
wether -> whether
continent -> content

Anyway it's a nice tutorial if you want to know more about story writing. :)

Thank you, but a continent, is a continent, like Africa, Europe etc etc, thanks once again ;)

The Atmosphere, and the citizens of your world. added, short but meh, I know I can write more, just gotta come up with great chapters, stay tuned!

Looks good, Pedro. You're a great storywriter. Ever thought about writing a book?

The key to a strong piece of writing are the use of verbs, nouns, adjectives and adverbs this 'Tutorial' sickens me.
I'm working on my bachelors in English with a concentration in writing, and seeing this just makes me realize how little people know about writing, the writing process and how to write well.

The key to a strong piece of writing are the use of verbs, nouns, adjectives and adverbs this 'Tutorial' sickens me.
I'm working on my bachelors in English with a concentration in writing, and seeing this just makes me realize how little people know about writing, the writing process and how to write well.

Sure mate, PM me a piece of your "wonderful" writing.

Back