• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Tutorial Quest

Leo32

Getting back into it...
Solutions
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just looking for ideas on tutorials / mechanics / puzzles to help new players grasp the concept of Tibia and its player functions.
I'll post some screenshots of my current tutorial setup, but to summarize here is the jist of what exists in my tutorial.. quest... thing.

Context - Player spawns in a cell with a bed and note pinned to the wall.
  • Use bed for modalwindow prompt to skip tutorial.
  • Break spider-web to escape cell/progress.
  • Attackable target dummies to interact with.
  • Magic totems to interact with (Dish out multiple spells to damage player / target dummies)
So far they're all tied into the tutorial quest and reference each other, but I'm after some feedback on more ideas.

Mechanics Introduced to Player currently:
  • Lookable items.
  • Breakable walls/objects.
  • Interacting (Use) objects/things.
  • Attacking things.
  • Magic/Damage Types.
To be Added:
  • Consumables (food/potions)
  • Keys (locked doors)
  • Player specific spells.
What other mechanics do you think would be useful?
Any ideas/story behind the mechanic to tie it in to a legitimate RPG quest scenario?

EDIT: Kinda fishing for a spark of creativity.
EDIT2: OHH... fishing...

One thing I like about tutorials in a lot of games is starting in a lategame scenario. Example: assassin's creed
You start out with all your weapons and skills, you're a total badass, you experience the game, then you get fucked over and lose your ranks and weapons and abilities and you have to basically start over and re-earn the progress. Perhaps something like that could be done? Not sure how you'd go about it but it could definitely be an interesting way to attract attention. Obviously the point of the tutorial is to show people how the game works if they're unfamiliar with Tibia. This would also create the assumption that they have not played another OT server either, so if they start out with everything and end with a blank slate and an idea of what to work towards, it may hold their attention better than a very slow character with a couple click-operated options.

Edit: perhaps you're a mid to high level, locked up for some crime, maybe you did it, maybe you didn't. You have to escape the cell and retrieve your equipment from the lockup or something, kill or sneak past some guards, then fight your way out of the dungeon, past monsters (kind of like the dwarven prison in kazordoon that was overrun with monsters) and when you get out, maybe you teleport into a small house at normal starting level with no gear and it was all a dream or something, and so your journey begins, or something like that. xD

One thing I like about tutorials in a lot of games is starting in a lategame scenario. Example: assassin's creed
You start out with all your weapons and skills, you're a total badass, you experience the game, then you get fucked over and lose your ranks and weapons and abilities and you have to basically start over and re-earn the progress. Perhaps something like that could be done? Not sure how you'd go about it but it could definitely be an interesting way to attract attention. Obviously the point of the tutorial is to show people how the game works if they're unfamiliar with Tibia. This would also create the assumption that they have not played another OT server either, so if they start out with everything and end with a blank slate and an idea of what to work towards, it may hold their attention better than a very slow character with a couple click-operated options.

Didn't mention it in the original post but yes that actually how my tutorial starts.
Trying to take the perspective of a non-tibia player, first logging on.

The main puzzle I have going is a Diablo 2 style Rakanishu/Cairn Stones puzzle to get players familiar with using objects:
act1q3-obr02.jpg

Trying to think of other creative ideas/puzzles for things like levitating and spells.

Last edited:
Could have a multi level puzzle that requires them to use something then levitate up a ledge, use something else, which spawns something back at the bottom, levitate back down, use some spells to kill it. o:

its all about the specifics, damn it!

Yeaah :p
Dunno what specifics to suggest, I haven't gotten into a tutorial at all for my server, so I've only got generalizations xD

Just occurred to me, and you might like it.
If there is some kind of fluid on the ground, there is a chance for the character to 'slip' in the direction they are walking..
and stuff like slime, could slip more often..
Could be a neat 'feature'.

Just occurred to me, and you might like it.
If there is some kind of fluid on the ground, there is a chance for the character to 'slip' in the direction they are walking..
and stuff like slime, could slip more often..
Could be a neat 'feature'.

Like the ice room puzzles in the pokemon games...
hmm.

Think I know what I want to do with this now:

KG4Nibm.gif

enter whi world. maybe you get more ideas. Now has 13 rooms of tutorial

Back