• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Windows Server vs. Unix

Hermes

dziwki kola gramy w lola
Reaction score
Hi there!

As far I know, many of you are developing your own OpenTibia gameworlds, hosted on powerful dedicated servers. Still, many of you are using Linux as operating system. Just few are running their servers within Windows Server 2008 (or 03).

So here comes my question:
Which one is actually better? Safer? Faster? Windows Server or Unix systems

And don't post anything if you don't know a shit about topic. I don't want answers "linux is better u sux go away" because I have made my own research, and I found that many huge companies are using Windows Server as operating system on their servers.

Regards,
Hermes

if you had never worked with a unix system you should take windows server 2008, because its easier

if you want a good safe server learn how to use a unix system :)

both have good and bad aspects ;) (i think :p )

I know, I have some experience with both, had servers on Linux and on Windows systems, but I want to know which one is better and why. I don't want to hear your personal thoughts but facts.

Well In my opinion Linux is way better than windows, first when i had windows i have ran into several issues like:

Program crashes unexpected...
Had BSOD several times...
Had a lot of database crashes...
Computer slowdown after X time without a restart...

And ATM on linux haven't got any of those yet and it run more smooth, even my players saw the difference...

Also is way easy to manage some thing's like an auto script executing for example an auto database backuper,

On Linux we have CRONTAB which truly pwns, you can link it through a shell to delete old files, purge cache, perform several actions, execute a program, execute php scripts via php5-cli or do whatever you like....

On windows i had to run a program named 'navicat' to make those backups lol
And why i had to use navicat? because the database of my server is in INNODB storage method and i can't use the windows backup program which come with windows by default |Link> Windows XP Backup Made Easy|

And OFC it manage better the resources like network/ram/cpu etc Just take a look here: http://otland.net/f37/critical-problem-otserv-51849/

If you still have doubts test it yourself with some kind of application and see the load time, Also if you want test the stability get 2 pcs and let them running with tfs&web server without restarting for few days/weeks/months w/e you like and then run the same test and you will see the difference ;p, For those test i used phpsysinfo and it was dramatically...

From my point of view and the bad experience i had with windows while hosting: Windows ~= hosting

Last edited:
It's like asking the question: What is better, apple or banana?

@up
You aint right. I have two options to choose, and I want to choose better option.

@Migxxx
Thank you for your answer.
Gave rep. point of course.

I didn't read any posts but the topic (so sorry if I repeat anything)

Windows Servers are nice.. you're pretty much paying for the user-friendliness.
But if you know how to use a Unix system, more power to you, they're much better than any Windows Server primarily because Windows servers preform worse because they're so user-friendly and it takes up some processes/resources.

Not saying that Windows Servers are bad, I've hosted an OT with 300+~ people on with a fairly nice Windows server.

Red

Well In my opinion Linux is way better than windows, first when i had windows i have ran into several issues like:

Program crashes unexpected...
Had BSOD several times...
Had a lot of database crashes...
Computer slowdown after X time without a restart...

And ATM on linux haven't got any of those yet and it run more smooth, even my players saw the difference...

Also is way easy to manage some thing's like an auto script executing for example an auto database backuper,

On Linux we have CRONTAB which truly pwns, you can link it through a shell to delete old files, purge cache, perform several actions, execute a program, execute php scripts via php5-cli or do whatever you like....

On windows i had to run a program named 'navicat' to make those backups lol
And why i had to use navicat? because the database of my server is in INNODB storage method and i can't use the windows backup program which come with windows by default |Link> Windows XP Backup Made Easy|

And OFC it manage better the resources like network/ram/cpu etc Just take a look here: http://otland.net/f37/critical-problem-otserv-51849/

If you still have doubts test it yourself with some kind of application and see the load time, Also if you want test the stability get 2 pcs and let them running with tfs&web server without restarting for few days/weeks/months w/e you like and then run the same test and you will see the difference ;p, For those test i used phpsysinfo and it was dramatically...

From my point of view and the bad experience i had with windows while hosting: Windows ~= hosting
agree with Migxxx

In my Windows Server could be suitable for hosting OpenTibia gameworlds,
but if you want to make your server has been stable on Windows Server is the best use OTserv.

But if you want to it was more powerful server, invest in Linux :)

What is better for you needs and personal taste, apple or banana?

I've just recently started to host on my linux server, at the moment I have 3 servers up and running with together 700MB (out of 2GB) used.
CPU usage is about 1-3% (unlike the 40%+ windows needs for just 1, Server saves even worse)

I'm quite happy about it, it also brings no problems installing/using aac's (unlike the bugs mess windows IIS brings or the security risk xampp gives).

So in my opinion there should be more linux server just to expand the support for it.

windows easier just get a good anti virus if you host on a own compueter else on a dedi idk ;p

Back