• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

A small debate about custom adventure/rpg servers

That's just not true. Tibia specifics are hard-coded into TFS, it was most certainly not designed to be a multi-purpose mmo server. I'm sure any dev would speak on that.

I know in it's current state TFS is specifically designed to work as a Tibia Server. But it wouldn't take too much work to change that I don't think.

But who knows, maybe I am ignorant, I have only been working with TFS sources for the last few months.

I agree it can be customized but you'd still be having to hack around things all the time. Would be cool to start an open source online-rpg engine (client/server) that's intended to be as customizeable as possible.

I agree it can be customized but you'd still be having to hack around things all the time. Would be cool to start an open source online-rpg engine (client/server) that's intended to be as customizeable as possible.

What things do you think you'd have to hack around? So far when customizing TFS I haven't run into any dead-ends that make it so I cannot do something I wanted to.

Yes i personally think that tibia open servers could be much more then what they currently are. in my opinion i think its more of limited knowledge on most of the server hosters. so i agree with Flatlander, if there was easy to use customizable tools for all the people who wish to express their ideas better. but it seems alot of them are limited in knowledge and find themselves copy/pasting then actual coding/mapping.

But on the other hand there are still those who are just trying to milk the players $ with cheap servers and cash malls. <-- this angers me more then anything

We have a server (TFS), we have a client (OTClient), we have a map editor (RME) and we have tons of spriters... We just need the people willing to change Tibia into a different game and change what Tibia/OpenTibia is today. We could, as a community, build a completely different game, but nobody thinks about that, they are more interested in the profit their RL Map servers will give them.

--- EDIT ---
The project I have, which I mentioned earlier, is just like that... I will experiment my ideas on something that is already done and working (OT) to later start my own game (always dreamed about this), that's why I want to learn Unity 3D and 3D Modelling :p but time is the problem!

We have a server (TFS), we have a client (OTClient), we have a map editor (RME) and we have tons of spriters... We just need the people willing to change Tibia into a different game and change what Tibia/OpenTibia is today. We could, as a community, build a completely different game, but nobody thinks about that, they are more interested in the profit their RL Map servers will give them.

--- EDIT ---
The project I have, which I mentioned earlier, is just like that... I will experiment my ideas on something that is already done and working (OT) to later start my own game (always dreamed about this), that's why I want to learn Unity 3D and 3D Modelling :p but time is the problem!

For me the problem is I have 0 artistic talent. I already spend a ridiculous amount of time programming every day.

Back
Top Bottom