• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Discussion] Real Map - Project Alpha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beo

Three Magic
Solutions
Reaction score
UAUy9.png

Abs9a.png

letter_martel_P.gif
roject Alpha will be an original 8.6 map. Wait! Before you click that cross at the top right hand corner! I will explain what will be different, then the release estimated date if you are still interested. :)

letter_martel_P.gif
roject Alpha will retain the original 8.6 map as mentioned above but with twists. What can a Real Map have that can make it unique? Is what you are thinking? Of course, the CipSoft cities such as Thais, Carlin, Venore etc will remain. Though there will be new cities, new hunt spots, new quests, events, everything that you ask for on those Real Maps you love? All together in one amazing server. Though, that is the least of it.

We aim to retain the original Tibia map though not just add things for PvPers and PGers, but also for RPGers. We want to retain the RPG aspect of Tibia and bring it back to life. In 8.6 style. Why 8.6? There will be botters! Of course, but that's not a problem in Project Alpha. I will explain more.

Project Alpha will encourage the community to get together as teams to engage in combat, quests and other avaliable things.

There will be custom monsters, custom bosses, custom raids.
Vocation balance is a major priority and I feel in other Real Maps, this does not exist. Mages dominate or Paladins Dominate, or even sometimes Knights! Why? Because they have been downloaded and ran. This will not be the case in Project Alpha.

I do not have anything else to explain as of this point, though, I will be creating this Otserv myself until I need staff. All donated pieces are welcome and perhaps I could reward you on the launch.

Estimated Release; 1 June 2012
Estimated Test Server; 25 May 2012

Please post what you would like to see in a Real Map and why. If you have any good ideas, then here is the place as Project Alpha will implement them for the players. Bugs will be fixed on report and will work on the next server save.

Do not be Beta, Delta or Omega, be Alpha.

Regards,
Immortalon
Project Alpha Creator.

Last edited:
sorry but there are like 100's of real maps, why would anyone chose this one?
I don't want to make you mad or something..

sorry but there are like 100's of real maps, why would anyone chose this one?
I don't want to make you mad or something..

I knew that was coming.
There are like 100's of people like you who say the same question. I wouldn't get mad over that :p

If you have read my post clearly, you would see what is different. If you have played real maps, you would definatley see what is different.
They are basic download and run servers. Project Alpha would have twists with new npcs with hard quests. Solveable? Who knows. More cities etc, read the main post and you will find out.

Everyone is blinded with real maps because 99% of them are download and run, I can assure you, this project will not be.

Thanks for all your constructive feedback.. :)
I'm making a Real Map because thats what 90% of the Otserv community wants.
If you do not like it, do not post.

Edit;
For those Real Map Haters, you do not have to click the following;
gOQUJ.png

It's simple, really. Click the red cross. I'm trying to better the Real Maps so that there will be atleast one unique one out there, but like I said, you are blinded by the "Real Map" phrase. As most people will see Thais in a custom map and be like 'LULZ, THAIS?!?! THATS NOT RPG HAHAHAHA' which is bullshit.

90%? That's a huge overstatement unless if you can prove it that 90% of the community wants real map.

Nice to see more people actually working on real-map projects! Though when I read this thread I think of my server.. why? becouse it's the same idea.. but I've been improving mine for about 1 year now (Ofc with pauses).. AND still it needs more improvments.

It's easy to come up with an idea but hard to accomplish.

Anyway good luck mate! :)

I took a few minutes to read your post, now here's my two cents. I'm going to quote a few things.

letter_martel_P.gif
roject Alpha will retain the original 8.6 map as mentioned above but with twists. What can a Real Map have that can make it unique? Is what you are thinking? Of course, the CipSoft cities such as Thais, Carlin, Venore etc will remain. Though there will be new cities, new hunt spots, new quests, events, everything that you ask for on those Real Maps you love? All together in one amazing server. Though, that is the least of it.

#1: Original as in you're keeping the exact Tibia map? Can you show us it's not just downloaded Thunderion? etc. Or do you mean original as in, Project Alpha is an original project, for example, you aren't working off someone else's old work?
#2: 8.6? It may just be me, but if you'd like a server to be original in the first sense, using 8.6 is putting you off to a shaky start.
#3: I hope you don't just mean Oken/Gengia/Pyre/Ethno/anotherstupidtown/poorlymappedoverspawnedarea. If you're creating your own islands, I've saved everybody some time to show off some of his previous work. Link 1, Link 2. Please let us know if you've been actively mapping/improving or even how long you've been working on these custom areas. Anybody can say these things, prove it to us!

We aim to retain the original Tibia map though not just add things for PvPers and PGers, but also for RPGers. We want to retain the RPG aspect of Tibia and bring it back to life. In 8.6 style. Why 8.6? There will be botters! Of course, but that's not a problem in Project Alpha. I will explain more.

:huh: RPGers typically don't like botters. I think you're trying to appeal to too large of an audience - pleasing everybody often ends up pleasing nobody. This is just an opinion though. I only wanted to highlight some things for other readers to look at..

Estimated Test Server; 4 May 2012
Estimated Release; 11 May 2012

That's not a whole lot of time from now, for a project usually it takes longer. Have you been working on it for long before this? Or is this a relatively new idea? How has this project been progressing? Here's a few things that worry me after seeing a release date so soon:

There will be custom monsters, custom bosses, custom raids.
Vocation balance is a major priority and I feel in other Real Maps, this does not exist. Mages dominate or Paladins Dominate, or even sometimes Knights! Why? Because they have been downloaded and ran. This will not be the case in Project Alpha.
I will be creating this Otserv myself until I need staff.

Just some things to take into consideration, again. I won't spill everything out but give you a chance to address them yourself.

Please post what you would like to see in a Real Map and why. If you have any good ideas, then here is the place as Project Alpha will implement them for the players.

#1: A real map that's not 8.6 <> Why? Every download-and-run real map is 8.6
#2: Less ideals, more proof and more support. <> Why? Too many failed over-hyped projects fail due to huge ideals with a short stick in the developing department
#3: A big reason to try it, something that's different from any other Real Map server. You said it will be, show us.
#4: Finally, what kind of dedicated server will you have? And how long is your contract for? <> Why? Players usually want to know their server won't shut down after a few days, weeks, or even months. A hoster has to see himself hosting years in the future if they want their project to be successful.

Final notes to another post

They are basic download and run servers.

Sure, a good portion of them are. But not all of them. If you put time into your server it will prove itself better than them - what you're trying to prove yourself better than is the OTHER real map servers that are run by competent owners.

Project Alpha would have twists with new npcs with hard quests. Solveable? Who knows. More cities etc, read the main post and you will find out.

Again, is this something you have or is it something you're only imagining thus far?

I'm not trying to be offensive or mean, only critical.
Best of luck,

Red

Hmm, the only way I would support a real map server, is if it were hosted & managed without selling ANY donation items! The main goal shouldn't be money.

Good luck. ^_^

P.S. Are you using my 8.6 real map? You should! Finish the houses and fix the minor bugs.

I totally agree with you Red, though I would like to quote something..

This is pretty much true.. As I myself downloaded my server as a start to improve it which I think is pretty much far away from download'n'run server now & that is what Beo is trying to do here too I think. He will for sure download some real-map server as basic & then work on it to make it original which leads to what made me worried about the soon release o_O..

Also when I saw the links to Beo's mapping thread I would like to say "Get another mapper, your stil in practice mode".. Otherwise I don't think you'll have nice cities :/

Just telling my opinion aswell, I wish you best of luck to.

Idk, why people say you download 'w.e distro' and run it, that's not even possible idk if its just me but i have to go through about 500 bugs~ etc etc. is that just me? LOL.

90%? That's a huge overstatement unless if you can prove it that 90% of the community wants real map.

It was an estimation.. Not a fact.

I took a few minutes to read your post, now here's my two cents. I'm going to quote a few things.

#1: Original as in you're keeping the exact Tibia map? Can you show us it's not just downloaded Thunderion? etc. Or do you mean original as in, Project Alpha is an original project, for example, you aren't working off someone else's old work?

Original as in, I want to keep the original CipSoft Map, but add to it. I haven't started work on the map yet, of course. I plan to do that soon.

#2: 8.6? It may just be me, but if you'd like a server to be original in the first sense, using 8.6 is putting you off to a shaky start.

8.6 is the most popular protocol, I do not want to waste my time creating a 9.0, 8.0, 7.6 etc.

#3: I hope you don't just mean Oken/Gengia/Pyre/Ethno/anotherstupidtown/poorlymappedoverspawnedarea. If you're creating your own islands, I've saved everybody some time to show off some of his previous work. Link 1, Link 2. Please let us know if you've been actively mapping/improving or even how long you've been working on these custom areas. Anybody can say these things, prove it to us!

No, I do not mean just Oken, Gengia, Pyre etc. They will be implemented of course, but they will not just be the only edited town. Those maps sucked. I'm not afraid to admit it. If you look at the creation date, they was a long time ago. My mapping has improved also I will be using some from friends.

:huh: RPGers typically don't like botters. I think you're trying to appeal to too large of an audience - pleasing everybody often ends up pleasing nobody. This is just an opinion though. I only wanted to highlight some things for other readers to look at..

Nothing I can reply to here. I agree.

That's not a whole lot of time from now, for a project usually it takes longer. Have you been working on it for long before this? Or is this a relatively new idea? How has this project been progressing? Here's a few things that worry me after seeing a release date so soon:

I have been working on it for a little while now, with ideas written down with solutions. It's not a relatively new idea as I've thought of it even a year ago. It hasn't progressed alot, but alot of time will go into it in the next month.

Just some things to take into consideration, again. I won't spill everything out but give you a chance to address them yourself.

Yes every download and run real map is 8.6, but I plan to make a change in that.

#2: Less ideals, more proof and more support. <> Why? Too many failed over-hyped projects fail due to huge ideals with a short stick in the developing department

Some of those ideas were just base. They won't all be implemented at the same time or there would be nothing to update in a month after launch. Like I said, I wanted to update my server every 2 weeks. Proof will come shortly. Support, I don't feel like I need it yet, and most support ends up becoming lazy and not wanting to help.

#3: A big reason to try it, something that's different from any other Real Map server. You said it will be, show us.

Like I said, I do not have anything major to show at this point in time.

#4: Finally, what kind of dedicated server will you have? And how long is your contract for? <> Why? Players usually want to know their server won't shut down after a few days, weeks, or even months. A hoster has to see himself hosting years in the future if they want their project to be successful.

It will be Linux and I will purchase a contract for 6 months. If the server progresses within 6 months, it will be extended an extra year.

Final notes to another post

Sure, a good portion of them are. But not all of them. If you put time into your server it will prove itself better than them - what you're trying to prove yourself better than is the OTHER real map servers that are run by competent owners.

I understand, you have made me think a little and I plan to push the date forward for release.

Again, is this something you have or is it something you're only imagining thus far?

No and yes, there is already some NPC's made, monsters made but untested.

I'm not trying to be offensive or mean, only critical.
Best of luck,

Red

Thank you, I appreciate your constructive feedback.

Hmm, the only way I would support a real map server, is if it were hosted & managed without selling ANY donation items! The main goal shouldn't be money.

Good luck. ^_^

P.S. Are you using my 8.6 real map? You should! Finish the houses and fix the minor bugs.

The donations will be based on items you can get ingame, name character change (with monster name changes fixed). Thats all I plan to put in the shop. There will also be free points. I do not want donate only items as this would be a pain in the ass for non-donators or people who cannot donate. I am not using your real map. I have one already a friend sent. Which is almost unedited.

How many of those are botters?
People come to Otservs to bot, not to play themselves for hours and hours. They can go to Tibia for that. RPGers and Botters need to understand each other. Myself, I am an RPGer and a botter, I am both. Most people who adapt to todays society are.

People come to Otservs to bot, not to play themselves for hours and hours. They can go to Tibia for that. RPGers and Botters need to understand each other. Myself, I am an RPGer and a botter, I am both. Most people who adapt to todays society are.

You're not being serious, are you?

i think you got it backwards there, people go to real tibia to bot and come to OT to play

why I say this you ask? because most people don't like slow rates, so they just bot on the real tibia(1x) and go to OT servers to play higher rate servers where they can actually have fun without spending hundreds of hours mindlessly hunting just to get a minimal decent level

My aspect is wrong then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back