• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Is Call of Duty finally dying?

Do you think that Call of Duty is dying?

• Yes, I do.

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • No, I don't.

Votes: 23 65.7%

• Total voters

TILFen

Reaction score
Excerpt below an article about the Call of Duty-franchise, that it is finally dying.

If it’s one thing I absolutely hate about this generation of gaming, it’s the clear obsession to the Call of Duty franchise, blocking many gamers from actually taking any other viable games/franchises seriously and destroying everyone’s individual interest in a large variety of game genres now (something that was well valued last generation in gaming) Now it’s all about the first person shooter, and I’m so damn happy to see this horrible industry obsession going away, Call of Duty is finally dying!

I am completely guilty as anyone else is this generation, I buy Call of Duty because of the title, because I think it still holds the innovation and true dedication it once held back in the day, and of course, “all my friends are playing it” … What I’m not guilty of is the fact that I still buy and value so many different genres and titles out there, the single-player experience to me is still just as valuable (if not more valuable) than the multiplayer experience, I am someone who still values the roots of where games came from and understand those roots will more than likely always be so much more powerful than the typical multiplayer fad. I play everything and do everything and I’m proud of it (I have 21 platinum trophies just to prove it), I don’t know what type of gamer you’d call me, maybe “diverse”, or “true hardcore”, or yes, maybe even a “true gamer”.

And as a “true gamer,” someone that knows for a fact that Call of Duty and the First Person Shooter genre is NOT God’s gift to gamers and those games, supposedly, should be the only thing that should be valued and appreciated this generation, I have absolutely hated to see all people playing this generation is “Call of Duty” – and I hate even more that when I play something else other than that damn game, I get constant messages from friends on my friends list asking me “why aren’t you playing Call of Duty,” or ” that game you’re playing is complete crap” (event though they don’t know nothing about the game they’re trashing at all). Many gamers (especially my generation, the young adult generation & even younger generations) are being led to believe that the only thing you should play is a First Person Shooter, it’s why a lot of these new IP’s or continuations of highly successful franchises in the PS2 days are doing so badly, because they simply aren’t Call of Duty.

This is why I was so happy to see some oh-so-sweet events unfold last year.

The first thing that happened while Call of Duty was readying up for it’s yearly release, a little game called Battlefield 3 took the industry by storm, and is now threatening Call of Duty. (A game that now has 1/3 the sales of Call of Duty and which has a margin that keeps narrowing, especially on a year by year basis in the future is something to look at). No other game franchise has come this close recently to Call of Duty, and is really something to look at, people are finally jumping to ALTERNATIVES.

Also last year,Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 released, which many consumers basically stated felt nothing more than a large map-pack with a few tweaks, game modes, and alterations. From Call of Duty 3 to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, there was major innovation, not to just the franchise, but the entire First Person Shooter genre, even MW2 had a ton of innovation, a perfected control scheme, new devices and tools, special ops mode, and a lot more, it was arguably a good sequel at that. The Call of Duty games that released after MW2 though, for obvious reasons, have started to decline, no innovation, no chances, and the big mistake of releasing the same formula EVERY SINGE YEAR. Call of Duty is the biggest disease, the biggest joke of a franchise that has been released this generation, and half of it is Activasion’s fault for destroying it so quickly, and the other half is the community’s overhype of the franchise and complete bashing of the rest of the video game industry is why this series is now failing… and thank God it is failing.

I feel there have been 3 true games that have redefined the First Person Shooter genre this generation, Rainbow Six Vegas, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and now… Battlefield 3.

And I am so happy to see that, because even though this game is also a First Person Shooter, it will help to push Call of Duty back down and raise itself and all other genres back to light. Call of Duty is killing itself, and DICE made another masterpiece of a game, innovating the First Person Shooter industry at the right place at the right time, and what I hope is that Battlefield 3 won’t overpower the gaming industry like Call of Duty did, but push Call of Duty sales back down, equiling out sales of DICE’s game and Activision’s game, then they will compete and Activision will have to actually have to create innovation again if they want to survive in their genre, but I’m thinking Activision will never be just as successful with this game again no matter how hard they try.

Call of Duty’s decline is a great thing for gamers, they will finally start to look elsewhere, to other genres, and hold them at value, they will start to become “true gamers.” So I hope Call of Duty does fail personally, so people will finally stop being crafted into the “just FPS” attitude, so people wont message me to criticize a game I am playing in a different genre, so that we can get the true gamer attitude back into everyone, so that originality and difference will be valued and accepted again in the First Person Shooter industry and the gaming industry as a whole.

Yeah, I’m happy to see this mammoth dying, it’s about time.

Call of Duty Is Finally Dying, True Gamers Taking The Stage Now | DLB-Network

I've moved back to halo reach. I left Halo 3 for cod, for the killstreaks and well just a new game in general, but forever halo, so im back with Reach :)

Yes, except CoD4 promod which is probaly the best competive FPS game out & getting bigger atm )

CoD4 promod and CoD2 are the only good in the serie

A Battlefield fan wrote that article, ignore it, that's how the media brainwashes people.
Giving you biased information to boycott against other things.

COD is not dying.

Had more fun playing Borderlands anyway <3

Red

Call of Duty died after MWF2. There is absolutely nothing new about that gameplay. They are renaming shit, polishing it up, adding new maps and selling it at $60 a pop. I can't believe people are actually retarded enough to buy it. I played it a few times at a friends house, and was in utter shock it's a complete piece of shit. Your running around like a bunch of cracked out junkies once you learn the maps, get your reaction time keyed down for the game, it's who shoots who first. That's exactly what CoD is now, a game for the retarded masses because its easy, dumbed down, and has some fast paced action etc. Making it great to play at parties or while you have a few friends over, true gamers don't play shitty ass games like that, CoD is like the MTV of gaming. You want a real game play BF3. I used to play CoD all the time, and I have REFUSED to buy a CoD title since MWF2 because they are all rubbish.

Call of Duty died after MWF2. There is absolutely nothing new about that gameplay. They are renaming shit, polishing it up, adding new maps and selling it at $60 a pop. I can't believe people are actually retarded enough to buy it. I played it a few times at a friends house, and was in utter shock it's a complete piece of shit. Your running around like a bunch of cracked out junkies once you learn the maps, get your reaction time keyed down for the game, it's who shoots who first. That's exactly what CoD is now, a game for the retarded masses because its easy, dumbed down, and has some fast paced action etc. Making it great to play at parties or while you have a few friends over, true gamers don't play shitty ass games like that, CoD is like the MTV of gaming. You want a real game play BF3. I used to play CoD all the time, and I have REFUSED to buy a CoD title since MWF2 because they are all rubbish.

So I don't have to type everything in different style.

They are just money-hungry, and the 12 year old kids are buying it. I am 13, but COD fucked up after MW2. BF3 beated them by far this year (or past).

Dying?!
I hear many more people talking about CoD than BF3
Therefore, CoD is not dying because people are still playing / talking about it.

I agree with some things, and disagree with others..
I agree that most console gamers(at least the ones I know) are FPS addicts(while PC gamers are more into that LoL/HoN/DotA2 thing), they literally don't have any other kind of game but FPS and like it says in the article, and if we play something else other then FPS its an instant "that game is crap", I also agree that this generation was WAY TOO MUCH focus on FPS games, I mean, I know there are plenty of other good game types like Fighting and RPG, but those games that are potentially better then games like CoD don't get much attention, mainly because all the media is like said above, brainwashing people to love FPS, I for one am sick and tired of games like that, sure I also have it and I do occasionally play it, but I don't spend my entire free time playing it like some other people to, which also ruins my experience online since I'm always fighting 'pros' while im nothing but an average FPS player

I disagree that CoD or other FPS are dying, there are many new FPS coming up and some of them are way better then CoD(Halo for instance, (note that I'm a PS3 fan-girl, but I compliment potential where there is and Halo deserves it))

Nothing would make me happier then having FPS step down from the Godly platform they are considered right now..

COD's sales records should speak for itself, and if your argument is "bunch of moneyspending kids buying it" well ok mission accomplished. Is a game's goal not to sell to any demographic? it's sales always break records and I'm also expecting it to do same thing again this year.

Call Of Duty 2 fan here best in series besides 4. There last few ones was a little stale but even in staleness they still outselling competitors.
I never knew how much Otland people loved to bash on it till just a few months ago :S

PS
Games can sometimes relate to your favorite band if they put out one bad album are you suddenly going to say "fuck this shit! I love another band more now!" no if your loyal you stick to your band in this situation game even though the game is still holding peoples interest.

Back