• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Is the Forgotten Server just that, forgotten?

Hultin

Reaction score
Hello!

This discussion is an attempt to shed some light on what is going on with TFS.

As most if not all of you know, the updates have been only minor and the last verison update is nearly 2 years old now. This is an issue as this leaves us stuck with outdated OTB files etc.

While i understand it's alot of work to keep it up to date, although I hardly understand exactly how much, I'm curious what's happened to this project as there seems to be very little information on why progress has halted and a lot of frustration from both lack of information and as such there are also a lot of missconecptions and incorrect information increase by the day.

What would it take to get the project on track? What can the community do to help? What can I perosonally do to help? I am limited to very basic understanding of C++ programming, lua and development of other OT related areas.

If you can't do it on your own, this is to the dev team, ask us for help. While we might not always provide a perfect solution, alot of ideas and suggestions could be turned into something wonderful.

Today I see alot of the more popular servers are private updates and/or poor brazilian download n run servers, while I can't really "demand" people to upload private repositories it does feel like the halted development of TFS will be the death of high quality server software for the mainstream in a short time. Patchy servers rarely work longterm (well, except maybe Apache ;))

Humbly looking for information, yours,
Hultin

What would it take to get the project on track? What can the community do to help? What can I perosonally do to help?
Contribute. Don't look at it as someone elses responsibility, it's a community project and you're as responsible as everyone else.

I am limited to very basic understanding of C++ programming, lua and development of other OT related areas.
Learn, and then contribute. Don't just sit by and watch others do the work. If you can't contribute with code for whatever reason, you may be able to motivate other people to do so by placing bounties on issues that are important to you: https://www.bountysource.com/teams/otland

If you can't do it on your own, this is to the dev team, ask us for help. While we might not always provide a perfect solution, alot of ideas and suggestions could be turned into something wonderful.
There's not really a "dev team", there are maintainers and there are contributors. Anyone can be a contributor. The responsibility of the maintainers is to label issues, review pull requests and cut releases.

Contribute. Don't look at it as someone elses responsibility, it's a community project and you're as responsible as everyone else.

Learn, and then contribute. Don't just sit by and watch others do the work. If you can't contribute with code for whatever reason, you may be able to motivate other people to do so by placing bounties on issues that are important to you: https://www.bountysource.com/teams/otland

There's not really a "dev team", there are maintainers and there are contributors. Anyone can be a contributor. The responsibility of the maintainers is to label issues, review pull requests and cut releases.
While we're at it. You/the contributers will add the 10.9x right? Hopefuly you will reply to this so we can quote people with something next time they are asking about a 10.9x version of TFS 1.2

While we're at it. You/the contributers will add the 10.9x right? Hopefuly you will reply to this so we can quote people with something next time they are asking about a 10.9x version of TFS 1.2

The protocol will be updated to the latest supported protocol by OTClient before we cut the release. For those who can't wait, there are usually pull requests that we leave open from contributors that include patches for newer protocols (such as https://github.com/otland/forgottenserver/pull/1715). It is not recommended for production purposes though, 1.2 shouldn't be used at all in production before it has been released.

Back