• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Javascript instead of lua?

Would Javascript as a scripting language allow more people to write script?

• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Ziker

Solutions
Reaction score
Hi guys

I just had a look at OTS scene after few years of inactivity! I am currently looking for some projects to work on to remind myself of C & C++ as I've spent last few years in web dev.

So.. I was wondering if there would be any use of abstracting scripting layer to allow virtually any scripting language to be used?

I myself think Javascript would be nice and I would be glad to work on that as long as there's enough interest in having the ability to write scripts in Javascript. I believe these two could work side by side really, just considering popularity of Javascript, do you think that would bring more people into OTS scripting?

Lua and Javascript are two different animals.
I looked it up for you, if you can make it work with the sources then you can write all the scripts you want in javascript.
Interacting with code — Emscripten 1.37.10 documentation

Well, thank you for your effort :) I am aware of the differences between these two. I wasn't thinking on how to do this much, but probably embedding V8 is one possibility.

What I am looking for here is simply the feedback on whether someone would make use of it and if people think that would allow more people (let's say web developers) to also write scripts (would they be willing to?)

Well, thank you for your effort :) I am aware of the differences between these two. I wasn't thinking on how to do this much, but probably embedding V8 is one possibility.

What I am looking for here is simply the feedback on whether someone would make use of it and if people think that would allow more people (let's say web developers) to also write scripts (would they be willing to?)
I am sure there are a lot of people who know more about javascript than lua and any alternative scripting method which can be applied directly to the server would be a great addition to their tool set.

I am sure there are a lot of people who know more about javascript than lua and any alternative scripting method which can be applied directly to the server would be a great addition to their tool set.

Great to here. I'm not really sure how big is OT community currently, so no idea how many "votes" to expect, but I will keep checking this thread for sure. I'm pretty sure JS would be great addition, but I think my question is quite limited to Javascript, while what I'd really like to do at first is create a layer of abstraction to allow any feasible scripting language to be executed, if right environment is provided. I mentioned JS here, because this would be my language of choice, but I think python would be also desired for some people (and it seems that embedding python interpreter would be easier than JS to begin with).

Great to here. I'm not really sure how big is OT community currently, so no idea how many "votes" to expect, but I will keep checking this thread for sure. I'm pretty sure JS would be great addition, but I think my question is quite limited to Javascript, while what I'd really like to do at first is create a layer of abstraction to allow any feasible scripting language to be executed, if right environment is provided. I mentioned JS here, because this would be my language of choice, but I think python would be also desired for some people (and it seems that embedding python interpreter would be easier than JS to begin with).
Well you're are in luck this is a open tibia server written completely in python :)
vapus / PyOT — Bitbucket

Back