• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Starting a new project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranyo13

ManCausingMayhem
Reaction score
Hey otlanders :)

Actually, i'm planning to start a project so, i'm writing here for all of you, to ask you for suggestions about a new project..
So, here are some questions that might help you suggesting:

What should i use? (Like xampp? And which version should it be? I'm using windows.)

How should i secure my server for free without paying cash?

What client (version) should it be? (Not old school though because i might probably fail because im not a professional, its the very first project for me.)

Should it be a custom O.T.S. or a Real map O.T.S.?

What host i.p. and name would you suggest?

What experience stages would you like to play?

EDIT: You can also add more questions for yourself..
/EDIT
Sorry for any vocabulary or grammar mistakes and please don't flame since its the first time to try starting a project!
Looking forward for your suggests..
Sincerely,
Ranyo13

Last edited:
You put "Project Starter" under your name just bcuz you found some motivation to make an ot? We all had that motivation. But it disappears in most cases. I bet it'll here too. You don't know anything about making a server, and sorry to say but you need to read; alot. To make a server. You can't just ask on the forums for every answer.

And I think it's rly hard to secure it without cash. If you want to make a server you need cash. Both to secure, and to host.

You put "Project Starter" under your name just bcuz you found some motivation to make an ot? We all had that motivation. But it disappears in most cases. I bet it'll here too. You don't know anything about making a server, and sorry to say but you need to read; alot. To make a server. You can't just ask on the forums for every answer.

And I think it's rly hard to secure it without cash. If you want to make a server you need cash. Both to secure, and to host.
Heya, i have seen your replies on several threads and most of them were opposite.
Who told you that i don't know anything about making servers? Maybe im way too professional for you and maybe i'm too bad as you expect. We will see..
But what about increasing my motivation and inspiration about starting this project so you can play a great O.T.S.
I'm looking for positive replies and not negative ones.
Post if your going to help me.. Not to make me turn desperate.

Kind regards,
Ranyo13

What should i use? (Like xampp? And which version should it be? I'm using windows.)

Sql with a secure host so you don't get attacked.

There are tutorials on Otland to help you with that.

What client (version) should it be? (Not old school though because i might probably fail because im not a professional, its the very first project for me.)
Either go new with 9.31 or go oldscchool.. Not 7.4 because it's a hard server to manage, but 7.6~7.92 would be nice.

It depends on what version you use. Oldschool should be a real map because the map was amazing, if it's new then you should go with a custom map because there are too many real map servers.

That's your choice, people will play as long as the server is stable and doesn't suck terribly.

Real map 2~3x steady.
Custom map 3~5x.

Also DO NOT ADD DONATIONS.. People will fuck your server up if you use donations especially if your server doesn't last. If you have super weapons people will attack you. If your server goes down after people donate you will gain a bad name. And that you really don't want because you will never be able to make another server again.

These are just my opinions btw. Things I believe and like in ots.

Who told you that i don't know anything about making servers? Maybe im way too professional for you and maybe i'm too bad as you expect. We will see..

You told me.

(Not old school though because i might probably fail because im not a professional, its the very first project for me.)

Mhm?

...And I did give you some answers.

you need cash and patience. if you have that then you wouldnt be asking for free things or be posting help on a forum. that just shows ur too lazy to read. Ingens is right.

Sql with a secure host so you don't get attacked.

There are tutorials on Otland to help you with that.

Either go new with 9.31 or go oldscchool.. Not 7.4 because it's a hard server to manage, but 7.6~7.92 would be nice.

It depends on what version you use. Oldschool should be a real map because the map was amazing, if it's new then you should go with a custom map because there are too many real map servers.

That's your choice, people will play as long as the server is stable and doesn't suck terribly.

Real map 2~3x steady.
Custom map 3~5x.

Also DO NOT ADD DONATIONS.. People will fuck your server up if you use donations especially if your server doesn't last. If you have super weapons people will attack you. If your server goes down after people donate you will gain a bad name. And that you really don't want because you will never be able to make another server again.

These are just my opinions btw. Things I believe and like in ots.
Thanks mate, this helped me a lot.
And no donations for sure :) But i might need some if i use cash from my own pocket to secure or host the O.T.S.

you need cash and patience. if you have that then you wouldnt be asking for free things or be posting help on a forum. that just shows ur too lazy to read. Ingens is right.
I thought i was doing the right thing, asking for suggestions for a great O.T.S. but it looks like i made the wrong thing, and i'm going to fix it and work on my own.. More little suggestions might help though.
---------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
I really need to know, which version of xampp should i use? Like there are people that say that 1.6.6a can't be hacked and some say newer versions are more secure than old ones.
So, this is the only question that i might need an answer for it really fast.
Sincerely,
Ranyo13

Last edited:
What I would do, use uniserver (tutorial on otland) everything custom, high exp rated (not that u get 712217 or w.e), alot of features and things nobody ever seen before, and some nice mapping and you have yourself some players (also don't make 2 much overpowered donations)

Edit: Sawry 2 lazy to read every post. xD, little late with commenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back