• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Windows Starting small server, What are my options for hosting?

Tysoch86

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am creating a server for a small amount of people (1-10). I am unfamiliar with any kind of hosting and looking for a way to have the server up 24 hours.
What do I do?

Thank you all!

Hello everyone,

I am creating a server for a small amount of people (1-10). I am unfamiliar with any kind of hosting and looking for a way to have the server up 24 hours.
What do I do?

Thank you all!
If its 1-10 people host it locally, don't waste your money on a host.
If host is a necessity then there is a discussion thread somewhere on this forum please use the search box to find it.

I think I may have found the thread about the hosting service, thanks!
Im guessing that my internet connection would be the limiting factor for hosting, would you recommend investing in a faster internet connection?

I think I may have found the thread about the hosting service, thanks!
Im guessing that my internet connection would be the limiting factor for hosting, would you recommend investing in a faster internet connection?
Whatever the thread recommends for uploading is what your connection should meet, you can check your upload speed at http://www.speedtest.net/

Ok, I have opened ports 7171, 7172 and 8080. Should any of these say 8080?

loginProtocolPort = 7171
gameProtocolPort = 7172
statusProtocolPort = 7171

Thanks a lot for your help by the way.

Ok, I have opened ports 7171, 7172 and 8080. Should any of these say 8080?

loginProtocolPort = 7171
gameProtocolPort = 7172

Thanks a lot for your help by the way.
Nope, 8080 or 8000 is open so when you give out your web address to others they can access your website.

hmm I may be more lost than I thought... I signed up for that no-ip thing.. is that the "website" that they will put into the ipchanger?

hmm I may be more lost than I thought... I signed up for that no-ip thing.. is that the "website" that they will put into the ipchanger?
Yes. Since everyone ignored this question. xD
it's a dynamic dns redirect, it sends traffic to that address, owned by noip.com, and they send it to the ip that they have registered (the dynamic update client (DUC) that they supply will automatically update the aforementioned ip to your ip)

Yes. Since everyone ignored this question. xD
it's a dynamic dns redirect, it sends traffic to that address, owned by noip.com, and they send it to the ip that they have registered (the dynamic update client (DUC) that they supply will automatically update the aforementioned ip to your ip)

Thanks! so which of these to I get them to put into the ip changer?
"*******.ddns.net" or...

"http://***.***.***.***" or...

scrap the http://???

ip = "What goes here?"
bindOnlyGlobalAddress = false
loginProtocolPort = 7171
gameProtocolPort = 7172

Thank you so much :D

Maybe it would be easier to just have someone host it?
Are there any dangers to letting someone host?
And what kinds of things should I look for when selecting a host?

Thank you all!

Thanks! so which of these to I get them to put into the ip changer?
"*******.ddns.net" or...

"http://***.***.***.***" or...

scrap the http://???

ip = "What goes here?"
bindOnlyGlobalAddress = false
loginProtocolPort = 7171
gameProtocolPort = 7172

Thank you so much :D

Maybe it would be easier to just have someone host it?
Are there any dangers to letting someone host?
And what kinds of things should I look for when selecting a host?

Thank you all!
It would be the first one
in ip = you will put that same address

It can be easier having someone host it. There are potential "dangers" like if the host is shady and makes off with your server and/or locks you out, but there's plenty of trustworthy members here who offer hosting services. You want to find someone who offers enough RAM to support the type of server (rl maps need more than small custom maps), a good CPU to handle the operation of the server based on the number of players (if you think you'll have 50 players, get a CPU that can handle at least 100), and obviously you want good speeds on the connection, both upload and download. In addition, many hosting companies offer DDoS protection, sometimes specially designed for game servers. Many members who offer services own and/or rent dedicated servers with such companies, and so you'll be using a part of their server, so you can usually get a pretty good host for pretty cheap. Most of these people will offer support and even set everything up for you if you don't know how.

Great! Thats a lot of information, thanks a lot!

I am still getting an error 11001, and when i put in 127.0.0.1 it loads the character list but not the game....

Also what is DDoS and should I be worried?

I have opened ports 7171, 7172 and 8080. Im not sure if I have or how to create rules in my firewall.

Whats my ip comes up with my ###.###.###.### ip that i have from My No-IP, rather than the "*******.ddns.net" spoken about earlier.

Ok, thanks about the DDoS :)

As a side note, my brother who is on the same wifi can conect to my server....

I have opened ports 7171, 7172 and 8080. Im not sure if I have or how to create rules in my firewall.

Whats my ip comes up with my ###.###.###.### ip that i have from My No-IP, rather than the "*******.ddns.net" spoken about earlier.

Ok, thanks about the DDoS :)

As a side note, my brother who is on the same wifi can conect to my server....
DDoS is distributed denial of service, it's an attack on you using a lot of data at once, basically "clogs your pipes". As above, not a concern if you're just hosting for a few friends.

whatsmyip will show your ip always, the no-ip address is just a dynamic address that points to your ip, it's essentially just a domain name that points to your ip.
As for the connection errors, is it you on your computer having that issue or people trying to connect from outside your network?

Back