• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

A way to prevent maptracking

Dubler

PHP, LUA, C++
Reaction score
Is there any possible way to prevent maptracking my server using default client and map tracker? I paid a lot of money for the map and don't want to share it with ppl who want everything for free by stealing stuff from others.

You can use a custom client with custom sprites. Other than that, not really.
However, this is not allowed on otland so if someone advertises or releases your map on otland, you can request the thread to be deleted.

You can use a custom client with custom sprites. Other than that, not really.
However, this is not allowed on otland so if someone advertises or releases your map on otland, you can request the thread to be deleted.
There are other 4ums where they can put in map, then give link to the users of otland

I know that, but still somebody will be able to use my map on his otserv and I wanna prevent this possibility. I know c++ and lua so I will be able to write the code. I'm just looking for a tips how to start in theory :)

Well if you know what does maptracker do then its much easier to block it

Either way i dont think you can stop maptracking without custom client

The only way to prevent this (temporary) is to use OTC and change your entire protocol so the maptracker can't pickup the packets correctly, however if someone has the knowledge on how to edit the maptracker then he'll always be able to change it on his side to get the correct packets, so there is no 100% safety on how to block this.

So it's impossible to block it, right?
Use custom client and parse map information with time and IP as keys. Owner of map tracker won't ever bother to copy ur map with software, because it would take less time with mapdrawer.

If someone wants your map he will most likely get it as you are sending it out to every client freely.
A custom client would make it harder though.

And i guess map information = grid coordination + clientId
roughly said, yes.
you can make the life of the maptracker dev a hell if you change a few things but if he wants your map and has the knowledge he'll still get it doesn't matter how much you change or encrypt etc.
So it's impossible to block it, right?
without a custom client, no.

I know that can't make the map 100% safe. I just want to disable maptracking using free and easy to get default maptracker on default clients - nothing more. If I would like to make it harder I would certainly use OTC with some extra encryption

Mess with your .dat and .otbm so that they differ from the oficial .dat for your version and .otbm for you server. So when he tracks your map and pass to his own, if he's not using your dat and otbm it'll just mess everything.

Here's what happens when the .otbm and .dat differ: http://1.ii.gl/ljbcr5_Je.png

I understand your idea but I do not want to make any special clients for my ots. .exe, .dat and .spr must stay the same :p That's the problem

Back