• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Do Not Start a Server If...

E

Evil Puncker

You should not start a (public) server if:

-You do not know what an IP is
-You do not know what Ports are in regard to 'IP'
-You do not even know if you have a router, let alone know how to use it
-You do not know how to use google or the search button
-You know how to use 'google' or 'search' but REFUSE to use them
-You are not willing to try things on your own to see if they work (read: go out on a limb)
-You expect someone to 'teach you how to make a server'
-You expect to charge players, or make a lot of money
-You are lazy
-You just "wan make cool server"
-You just "wan be GM"
-You plan to host and play from the same computer
-You are not dedicated

If any of these apply to you DO NOT even think about starting a server. If you still really have your heart set on it go LEARN. read, search, google, just don't expect or ask someone to teach it to you. :w00t:

by Jbain from eA forum.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Evil Puncker again.

Before someone was able to download a server, they should have to go thru a page to accept these terms :D

I always think these things are obvious.

However of recent experience, i am very wrong.

I call for sticky, also, you should add a "What to expect, if you want to make a server".

Evil P* said:
-You expect to charge players, or make a lot of money

You should re-word this to something more along the lines of:
-Your sole reason for starting is money / profit

I'll link this to all of my friends who keep asking me to teach them how to make an OT :)

Instead of pointing out the negative aspects of the stereotype 'noobs', you might aswell change the thread to 'Only Start A Server If' and list the things they should know. I think that would be more clear to them 'noobs'.

( forgive me for the 'noobs', I also go out of them stereotypes )

Instead of pointing out the negative aspects of the stereotype 'noobs', you might aswell change the thread to 'Only Start A Server If' and list the things they should know. I think that would be more clear to them 'noobs'.

( forgive me for the 'noobs', I also go out of them stereotypes )
but they should know so many things :D

I'm lazy but I'm ok with it, just playin a bit with some codes and if some day project will reach ready to host stage then I will announce it
if not I don't care. Its fun to code that things

This is just stupid , i bet you had a feeling before you created OT that you wantet to be a gamemaster! thats for suuure!

This is just stupid , i bet you had a feeling before you created OT that you wantet to be a gamemaster! thats for suuure!
I don't, sorry.
btw what I mean by "wan to be gm", is that u just created a server so u can have power over players, and 99% will create items for your normal characters and so on...if you want to make it, do it on your private server, but if you have NOT noticed yet, this thread is for PUBLIC servers. ;)

so, let them be like that, If they want to create a server and do that, let them do it, but after they learned the basic they learn to even great better Ots,
I did that to, i bet many people did it to.

Back