• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

GPL Violations

Gecko

Reaction score
Just so it doesn't look like I'm going behind everyones backs, I sent a PM to Talaturen regarding GPL violations, this is what it contained:

Hey Tala,

Not to piss you off or anything, but the majority of servers in your downloads section, including your own Forgotten Server don't state where source code can be found. As such, it is a violation of the GPL v2.0 and above.

Obviously I'm not chasing you up on this, but I'm just stating how easy it would be for members from 'the other forum' to bring most of your downloads down, which we obviously don't want.

Anyway, I'm out for now, don't take this as a threat, merely a warning that members of the other forum could bring you down.

Gecko

The GNU General Public License can be found here, stating that providing modified sources is a must when a licensed program is redistributed. By modifying the source code of opentibia (Which all server programmers have done) you have accepted the GNU GPL license version 2.0 or greater (at your discretion), and by accepting hte GPL, you have also accepted to release the source code of the modified server you have released in the Downloads section of this webpage.

Regards,
Gecko

If you view the README file of The Forgotten Server you can find the link to a thread with the sources and our subversion, not my fault if people ignore those files, but I've added a link to the subversion in the download-thread now just to make it easier for you who ignore README files to find it.

I've also created a sticky in 'Downloads -> OpenTibia Servers' about it, will take care of existing downloads now.

If you view the README file of The Forgotten Server you can find the link to a thread with the sources and our subversion, not my fault if people ignore those files, but I've added a link to the subversion in the download-thread now just to make it easier for you who ignore README files to find it.

I've also created a sticky in 'Downloads -> OpenTibia Servers' about it, will take care of existing downloads now.

AFAIK, it has to be produced in the same way it was provided, but now that it is labeled clearly in the thread, you should have no dramas ;)

Back