• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Help with TFS versions (and maybe some compiling).

foxrother

Teach me.
Reaction score
Ok, first things first. :p
How does the nomenclature of versions work? What are the differences between versions?
How do I know which version of the TFS works with the Tibia client version I want?

That's it for now, thanks :p

Solution
TFS versions have no particular relevance to what tibia client it is running. You can find a distribution that runs tibia client 8.6 on both TFS 0.2 and TFS 0.3.

TFS 0.3/.4 is more experimental(and thus has some additional functionality) while 0.2 is the most stable version.

It is recommended to use the latest released distribution in the TFS 0.2 branch since it contains most bugfixes and functionality compared to their previous versions.
Currently, the most official stable distro is:
http://otland.net/f18/9-60-9-61-forgotten-server-v0-2-14-mystic-spirit-166619/
TFS versions have no particular relevance to what tibia client it is running. You can find a distribution that runs tibia client 8.6 on both TFS 0.2 and TFS 0.3.

TFS 0.3/.4 is more experimental(and thus has some additional functionality) while 0.2 is the most stable version.

It is recommended to use the latest released distribution in the TFS 0.2 branch since it contains most bugfixes and functionality compared to their previous versions.
Currently, the most official stable distro is:
http://otland.net/f18/9-60-9-61-forgotten-server-v0-2-14-mystic-spirit-166619/

Solution
@Znote
Thank you very much, I'm glad you answered my question! :D
I have a few more about scripting: functions are different between versions, right? Is there any comparision table which helps us porting/converting scripts from a version to another? :B
And if not, how do I know which new function is equivalent to the old one?

Thanks =P

Last edited:
mods scripts (scripts inside the /mods/ folder on TFS 0.3+) can be very tricky for newbeginners to convert over to 0.2, since 0.2 has no mods support as of yet.
Mod scripts is basically a file containing multiple LUA scripts that relate to each other. You need to cut out these parts and split them into ordinary lua files.

However, most files in the /data/ folder is fairly easy to convert. If you for instance are trying to convert a talkaction script, you can just copy the script over to the same location on the TFS 0.2 distro.
Here its important to note that the xml markup is different (etc talkactions.xml that loads the LUA script is written slightly different), just follow the pattern that is used on the other scripts.

Now, when you run the server, chances are quite big that you will encounter error messages in the consoles. These error messages will explain what function is not recognized, and you can look for the appropriate TFS 0.2 names for those functions.
Most function names in TFS 0.3 are the same on TFS 0.2. But there are some exceptions, like doBroadcastMessage instead of BroadcastMessage and so forth. Small differences.

In the root directory (the folder where the .exe or config.lua is), you should be able to find a folder called "docs", in this "docs" folder you should be able to find a file called "LUA_FUNCTIONS" or something like that, open that with a text editor and you should see some coding examples, as well as a big list of compatible functions for that distribution. It's a nice place to look for correct function names for that corresponding distro.

Ok, ok. We're slowly killing this urge for information! Thank you again :]

So, theorically, it is possible to convert any script, including mods, which are only featured in TFS 0.3+.
I am (and if everything goes ok, was) using the 0.3.6 patch level 1 (pl stands for that, right?) for "my" OTS with some mods from this forum... I may be in trouble, 'cause I really prefer a stable version, but on the other hand, mods are a very important part of the project. How does this mod system work?

I really want to deepen my knowledge about scripting, can you please point me some tutorials? EVERY AND ANY HELP IS WELCOME!

Back