• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

How to start from the bottom?

jpvitale

Reaction score
Hey guys, well, I'm kinda new here and I never posted anything and I always get confused about the sections, so I'm gonna post here and if it's the wrong place, please let me know.

A few weeks ago I was looking for a custom tibia server that could be different from everything that we all have played, but I did not found it. It's always the "same" thing, so I had an ideia: what if I make my own server? After that, I start wondering if I could make a "whole" new game, based on tibia's gameplay, changing the sprites and systems, everything really basic, just for me and friends.

My question here is: is that possible? If yes, where do I start?

I mean, never really was into scripting but back in the past, I used to run some 8.60 servers, so I do have some knowledge about it, what I don't understand it's how the whole thing works, where is the
"heart" of the server, where everything start's from?
I already have the story of "my game" and I have some really cool ideas, I just need the directions to know from where to start.

Sorry for my english and if it was confusing, any questions I'll be happy to answer.

Firstly, you can start reading the server sources: https://github.com/otland/forgottenserver

You can set a base protocol for your game, I would use the current from TFS, just because.
Then if you really want to modify the whole game you should use a custom client. That's good because if you add new protocol messages you can do that with the client too.
I would suggest edubart's otclient
https://github.com/edubart/otclient
You can change the whole spr and DAT for your needs.

But keep in mind that this is a really huge task, and if you really don't know what you are doing it's going to take some time until you get things on track.
Good luck!

A few weeks ago I was looking for a custom tibia server that could be different from everything that we all have played, but I did not found it
Whi World

make a "whole" new game
where do I start?
Idk the right way but here is my "big plan"

1. "game engine" (create everything from ground up to support custom server, because TFS only scratches the surface, but it gives us opportunity to build on top of it)
2. Client (the way how users can use the game, tibia client is the worst game client I have seen so far imo. So think about it.)
3. Website (optional) - games don't need website. But my game does, so I have it as 3rd priority.
4. Graphics Step 1 - Maps, item descriptions (By using the Cipsoft client you save lot of time and money, but the better you use them the easier is to update it later)
5. Hosting plans (either build your own host or find good place to put it up so it could withstand 1k people without lag. Also recommended to plan ahead for 10k people)
6. Graphics Step 2 - Loose the copyrights.
7. Bomb marketing. (I suggest to start showing off your work early on, to show that you doing something and let people see your work already. No idea is worth hiding) [Yes I know I'm horrible at this xD]

Back