• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

IMPORTANT! All Notepad++ users!

andu

Sold 649 scripts, 25 maps and 9 events!
Solutions
Reaction score
GitHub
olrios
Twitch
olrios
I clicked ctrl + s in Notepad++ and my pc instantly froze for 10min or more, probably permanently. After restarting system my lua file is:

1576555856147.png

20 hours of work went to the void.
Checked multiple forums about solution.
There's no solution.

What I learned and what you all guys should do right now:
That crash is a bug with one of Notepad's default plugins. It very rarely crashing PC when you are saving a file. That saved file will be corrupted becouse system cannot handle anything when it's frozen as fk.
After you restart PC, your little big ultra 1mil$ worth file will be full of NUL!
To save your time you have to enable option in Notepad++ what isn't enabled by default. It's a backup of already saved files.
This is what I learned when I was looking for solution.

Do it right now:
Settings -> Preferences -> Backup -> Backup on save -> simple backup
I also added a custom backup directory.

Guys now you know there's a bug in Notepad++ which isn't fixed for years.
Notepad's devs don't know where's the problem. It happened to many people, but still not enough, it's very rare bug and this makes it much harder to fix. (luck of informations)
I saved over 100k files in my life. This bug happened to me twice. In 2nd time I lost my file (NUL NUL NUL NUL...).

Now I'm smarter and also you too. Don't forget to enable backup in your Notepad++

never happened to me (v6.9.7 here, using it for everything)

might be a problem with newer versions

having a backup of your files is a good thing regardless of the editor you're using

thanks for the warning though, I enabled this feature just now

You should have backups in general and not only for notepad++ files.
This will keep happening with any kind of software / computer / os. You can even lose your stuff to a fire.
Please protect and backup all your data.

You could just go with vim: welcome home : vim online (https://www.vim.org/)

Just memorize this cheatsheet and you should be really fast doing whatever you need to do on a text editor:
vim_cheat_sheet_for_programmers_colorblind.png

Best Wishes
Okke

Yes but it sometimes converts lua file with multiple lines into one line of text. Not sure it's still in Win7,8,10 but on XP it was like that.

win 7 it still does, probably on 10 too

You could just go with vim: welcome home : vim online (https://www.vim.org/)

Just memorize this cheatsheet and you should be really fast doing whatever you need to do on a text editor:
vim_cheat_sheet_for_programmers_colorblind.png

Best Wishes
Okke

ah, the linux escape room easter egg called text editor

Yes but it sometimes converts lua file with multiple lines into one line of text. Not sure it's still in Win7,8,10 but on XP it was like that.
Oh.... Oh Well, that probably serves you right for using notepad in the first place.

Oh.... Oh Well, that probably serves you right for using notepad in the first place.
That was a something around 2005 year :D Later only N++ or other advanced stuff for web. VS for little lua changes, hmm. It loads longer then N++, it's heavier at all. Still notepad++ is worth for quick edits. But when quick edit turns to 20h that means you were too focused to open VS :p

Back