• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Legal stuff and other burning questions

Rasmez

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new in this forum. English is not my primary language so excuse if f%"@ something up 😖 and feel free to roast my grammar or my ignorant self.

I'm not a stranger to Tibia (I played a long, long time ago, and my little brother is still playing to this day), I have some experience in programming, game design, spriting, mapping and that stuff of that nature, and now that I have some spare time and resources, I have a really big project in mind, but before I go deep into it, I need to be sure of some things:

1. If I make my own commercial game with my own Intellectual Property, using TFS+OTClient+RME with my own .SPR and .DAT files, is legal, right? No Cipsoft GmbH legal team banging on my door, right? I need to be sure of this, I know that TFS, the OTClient and RME are open source with GPLv2, MIT and EULA licenses, so I'm covered there, I guess (I don't plan to make my own versions of those tools, at least not in the short term).

2. I have no idea how to make my own .SPR and .DAT files, I "know" that one is a "renamed" zip file of some kind with all the sprites, tilesets and other assets, and the other is a renamed database binary or something like that. I need some help in that regard. 😵

3. Do you know some legal advisor that I can consult about this matter? (most of lawyers that I know don't have any f$%&ing idea of what a videogame even is).

4. In your opinion/educated guess, is all this doable for a single person in a year of two? (Making all the assets, maping, coding, etc) Note: I'm not aiming to make a MMORPG, only a MORPG, cutting the Massive part hahahaha 😆 that can be easily hosted in a normal PC by the DM, and the players (I'm looking to 20-30 players or so) can join vía LAN, WLAN, or the Internet.

1. If you aren't copying content of another game like rl Tibia map, exacly the same quests and monsters etc. then is fully legal - it is your own game.
It is like Zezania or Medivia.

2. Use ObjectBuilder and then click "File -> New" or use Tibia .spr and .dat, but just replace every sprite from rl Tibia.

Back