• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

OpenTibia general Linux Distro? - Made easy.

MindRage

Toss Me
Reaction score
Its maybe a little bit farfetched, but TFS has great linux support as it only needs a command script to be up and running.

So many of you probobally always stick to Windows due to you just could run a TFS server using an Exe file, and thats also fine. But when it comes to old computers, its barely a good solusion.
So i came up with this idea.

You can create a TFS server that boots up from a USB or a CD or is simply installed on your computer. And it will run the server directly on startup. And its alot faster than running everything else in the background (like windows itself)

So how would it be done?
Well there is something called remastering which lets you create your own linux distrobution, but also that iskind of messy. But then i came across this awesome site: http://susestudio.com/ which allows you to create your servers from the start using openSuse as a base.

The site supports to add MySQL servers, adding repositories and all those goodies.
So i was thinking of adding a base which installs openSuse with all the library dependecies of TFS and then later on the installation proccess installs the latest TFS distro from Github.
I could also maintain diffrent github revisions on the intallation script to select which verision of tibia you want to install, as github supports older revisions.

So trough this site, you could clone and share the distros you make, and you can clone them to edit so you can implement your own files and such.

So my though was that we have a basic setup for latest tfs distro, where people can edit stuff later by cloning, and implementing thier own databases and data folders, allowing them to build and create a distro for thier server.

This has variety of uses, as you can create files for installing on a pc, create virtualization distro files to be used in Hypervisors and dedicated servers.

But to make this more "open source" and open to the public. We would need to do this for each distro.

*Datafolder include would need to be in github to be updated and downloaded into the distro all time it starts up. (It will basically make developing a server much easier as you can go back to old verisions of files, you can easily merge stuff that other people made and so on.) Also if you have multiple server running in the same time, you could update the data folder for all server at the same time.

*All custom source edits should also be in a github fork of forgotten server inorder to keep compability and solusion for the public.

*I was thinking also of maybe making a database which lists publicly released scripts/modules that can be merged into a data folder trough github. (this would basically replace mods from TFS 0.3)

*Your SQL database from previous servers should be able to be imported by the website, I really dont know how exactly right now. but it should be possible.

The installation proccess:

So how would the installation proccess be?

Imagine at startup, you will get a list of many Opentibia Distros, they all are linked to a github repository which they download, this would include TFS, PyOT, Revscriptsys (current Opentibia) and some other stuff.

When this is done, they will point to where you want to place your data folder.

Later you could enter your github adress to your teams datafolder so you can sync you data folder on each startup.

Later the server will be downloaded compiled and installed.
Later the datafolder will also synced with your github adress so it always keeps the latest data folder.
AFter that the distrobution will log into this server, (Might be a otland server) and fetch all github adresses you will merge with the server addins/public releases you've added) --
Because people can update thier scripts and fix bugs and all servers using the script will be able to update it. (though i might be wrong since this could be a security risk)

If the server closes, the computer will restart. Perhaps a diffrent session will monitor if its still running to allow the computer to restart the server if it crashes.

The advantage
s
This system would keep servers updated all time while running on a fast base to minimize lag.
You can run them on multiple computers at the same time and sync the datafolder for all servers.
The servers will be able to run on both dedicated servers, virtual machines and on your own computer.
If everything is downloaded and installed on startup, you could start the server on any machine using a live CD.
Teams can just upload thier edits to a github repository and allow them to create server much efficiently.
The servers can be runned without a keyboard and mouse and screen if you create your own distro with the site.
The servers will run on a separate session so you can run commands in a command line like updating your github datafolder so you can reload the datafolder.
You can using some shell commands, log all the errors from TFS to a file, eventually sending them to your main computer at any time.

The disadvantagesMy knowledge of linux is a bit limited, but for server to Run on startup and restart with an internet connection, you would need Cabled Internet to start. Drivers for diffrent LAN cards mostly works, but it depends on your
machine. So Wireless LAN (WiFi) would be hard to adjust, if i would come up with a solution like that.
You cannot edit this directly on the distro (unless i make a distro with "developer tools"), you would have to install git on your computer where you edit, so you can update you data folders.
Some security issues would be that you have a common user login for Root or others, so its vurnable if you just "Download a server", but cloning the distro using the website and editing the login options should fix that issue.

So this is aloot of text, but the general idea is to make full use of our computers while still be able to work with it in a easy and efficient way.

Just some FAQS incase you are new to computers:

A Distro is a "verision" of an operative system which contains thier own set of programs and settings.
A Distro can both be make to run from a USB, CD, or any harddrive of your choise.
The Distrobutions will be like a console, No desktop, No graphics. simply text. which makes the computer much relaxed and allows for more preformance to be focused on the server software.
A virtual machine is a computer which runs ontop of a program. So you could run Linux inside a program in Windows, This is what dedicated server do to make your own "computers" available for you.

I'd like some opinions if the idea is worth doing and if something could be made differently

Back