• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

The development of servers

hxzr

Reaction score
I have 2 A4's written for this but I just can't share that much information here so i'll get to the point;

As for today I can see plenty of ideas floating around these forums and some of them are even ruining my own flow, they are either similar, better or could even be more successful. It's a sad that I have to be so negative but I am a jealous person from time to time..

But when it comes to developing a server you need a goal, a structure and dedication. I won't forget the fact that you do need knowledge in order to progress, else you won't get far. Thou many out there are greedy and claim to have progress done so far lets say "90%" on every part and are somewhat greedy but I cant really explain that. But they claim to have this project and will release it once they've fixed a certain thing but mostly after a few days it drops dead and just turned out to be a plan, not something that has been worked on.

Nothing is wrong on that part, on the other hand it takes courage to post your ideas, but it's out of hand, you create a script that only allows X to walk pass Y tiles and you have to add "Made by" "Credit to" "Scripted by" everywhere, while you have an entire library done(which you are using) by developers which barely left their mark ANYWHERE..

I love that people bring ideas here and inspire people etc, but it feels like it have ended up as a race against each other, who can come up with the coolest server, have the most expensive donations? or who's name will you see/talk bout the most? You "hire" a staff doing all the work for you so you can gloat in all that glory "your" idea brought ya. But ofc, there's nothing wrong with such a role, I'm more fit for that since I'm not that good of a mapper, not so good with scripts and im a horribad graphic artist. And im lazy! But I'm still after that thrilling fun to see something develop and evolve cause ITS FUN, not cause its a way to increase my e-peen... or wait... it is:)

Well I almost forgot my point now, but let's discuss what do YOU think about server development, credits and customizing?

How many ideas have you seen come and pass? which was the greatest? what became something? and what fell?

im abit drunk-ish but .... DISCUSS!

I had an idea about a server, and all I needed as a server to base it off. Luckily for me the server was released a few weeks after I conjured my idea.
I was one of many to begin, now I'm one of the last. My dedication has never been an issue. I had been making OTs 3+ years before this, never earned a cent.
I'm living out my ideas, anyway. I'm sick of all the "Rl Map Servers", granted, the PvP is fun, but there's just way too many of them. I believe the biggest developers deserve most the credit, but some people simply do it out of selflessness. Although I have never posted anything of mine on the discussions board (server wise), I like that you took the time to step out of the average persona to bring this issue to a topic.

Red

Well, seeing as I've been part of a dozen or more failed projects over the past 6 years, I don't feel right telling people what they need to succeed. However, I can tell you what had caused those projects to fail....

1) Mappers. Holy shit, so many hours of work went to waste because of issues with mappers. They don't take criticism well at all, in fact some of my projects lost mappers (and with them, the maps) over comments like "jesus dude, that looks nothing like what I asked for".

2) Lack/loss of communication. If one key person suddenly falls off the map, the project pretty much stands still until all the minor persons involved get bored and wander off to other projects leaving a huge hole in workload on any major persons left.

3) Weak communication. This happens primarily when a project is worked on by a group of people from different parts of the world. Not only is there the natural language barrier between people who speak different native language, but different cultures may have extremely differently interpretations for the same phrase. This causes confusion and arguments.

4) Lack of work ethic. This is probably the one that has the smallest effect on whether or not the project succeeds, but does effect how fast it happens. I can't tell how many times I was held up for weeks or even months because another team member kept putting something off.

As for credits... it depends.
Is your creation something entirely unique, or something that's been done before (maybe not on OTServ, but maybe on WoW or Diablo)? If so, you deserve no credits, you just reinvented the wheel. The people who actually deserve credit are the true innovators.

Last edited:
I myself never really worked in groups when it comes to OTs, might have happened 5-6 years ago.. once or twice..? but not anything huge.

I did contribute to many things you might have seen before but I never really cared about leaving my mark.

I feel when it comes to group projects it just won't do it with the help of this community cause of;

1) Bad communication: as you said, not just being from different countries makes it hard to communicate for some, but I can actually find it hard to communicate with people from this community that speak the exact same language.

2) Age, the average people are quite young, still in school etc, but that means alot of spare time but also proves their lack of experience and havent really evolved mentally to be able to commit and think more outside the box of doom (inside you may find these "im scripter i copy/paste script from web now make me gm", they are like rabbits everything happens superfast for them due to their "short lives". The older you get the more commitments you have aswell so it's a tricky one.

I even forgot the rest, but it's VERY hard to find someone you "click" with, if you TRY looking for em, you wont find em.. Thats what i think.

Also, im not that into this community anymore but is it many "100% customized" projects that have successed to release for even just a while? Noticed the PO and i must say, it seems abit like a greedy thing they've done etc, but anyhow its BORING, there's no tibia concept left.. Am i alone to think like that?

I'm stupid, not REALLY good at anything and just stuck up with working all days and mostly nights. But I have my own project coming up and I was thinking of discussing the development of that somewhere but you know what? I won't find the help i need here.

I've been in countless projects aswell that have looked promising at first but then dropped, with a whole lot of hours of work going down with it. The reasons Vagabond stated have all occurred in projects I've been in, and it gets quite annoying after the 5 or so attempts. Another thing that may be the cause of projects being dropped is the people developing them realises that it's gonna take a lot more time and effort than they first expected.

You're right about the young age part too, younger people aren't as motivated in reaching a goal(me included :p), and often get side-tracked(atleast I do).

95% of the projects that look promising in terms of OTServ does indeed end up a failure. There are lots of examples of this, I won't name any here though.

Concerning the credits everyone so badly requires, I couldn't agree with you more. The people developing OTServ aren't putting their name in every script they've contributed with, be it a small or a big contribution. Still, when the people using their work makes some small contribution they want their name all over the place, for "fame" I suppose.

I'd like it if you reconsidered discussing the development of your project here, who knows, you might get atleast some response, and that's better than no response, isn't it? :)

Cheers,

I've been in countless projects aswell that have looked promising at first but then dropped, with a whole lot of hours of work going down with it. The reasons Vagabond stated have all occurred in projects I've been in, and it gets quite annoying after the 5 or so attempts. Another thing that may be the cause of projects being dropped is the people developing them realises that it's gonna take a lot more time and effort than they first expected.

You're right about the young age part too, younger people aren't as motivated in reaching a goal(me included :p), and often get side-tracked(atleast I do).

95% of the projects that look promising in terms of OTServ does indeed end up a failure. There are lots of examples of this, I won't name any here though.

Concerning the credits everyone so badly requires, I couldn't agree with you more. The people developing OTServ aren't putting their name in every script they've contributed with, be it a small or a big contribution. Still, when the people using their work makes some small contribution they want their name all over the place, for "fame" I suppose.

I'd like it if you reconsidered discussing the development of your project here, who knows, you might get atleast some response, and that's better than no response, isn't it? :)

Cheers,

A lil bump since it's still a valid topic.

To prove the fact that people are just too narrow/simple-minded is just right in front of you; Compare the "discussions" with any other thread.. it's just... lack of content somehow, more flaming and failing than discussing.

I did indeed release a few ideas to inspire others etc, but yet I believe too many is focusing on the wrong things, who cares if it's ground-breaking or not.. No matter what, it should be some possibility for constructive criticism. I'ma create an example how dispicable some responses can be, link will be added shortly.

http://otland.net/f57/my-try-mapping-94125/

Last edited:
Well I almost forgot my point now, but let's discuss what do YOU think about server development, credits and customizing?

I don't need to worry about 'credits' because I don't release scripts. I know 95% of the people who would use it just copy and paste and would remove any credits I added anyways. They would also get more donations because of it when they don't deserve it.

but it feels like it have ended up as a race against each other, who can come up with the coolest server,
This is what OT's are about, the best server will get the most players. Unoriginal or boring servers don't get much attention.

I don't need to worry about 'credits' because I don't release scripts. I know 95% of the people who would use it just copy and paste and would remove any credits I added anyways. They would also get more donations because of it when they don't deserve it.

This is what OT's are about, the best server will get the most players. Unoriginal or boring servers don't get much attention.

Oh, my bad if I forgot to point out that there's no fairplay/good sportsmanship.. That's what I meant atleast, that there's def. no working together in the development of basic stuff.. Plenty of hate aswell. (quite alot of unnecessary around the rl maps/donations) Focus on your own doing and we'll do fine.

And I love to not care and just troll.

Back