• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Who uses Java here?

Who uses Java here?

• Its my primary language

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Its alright, not my favorite tho

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • I'd rather use C++

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I'd rather use C#

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I'd rather use Lua

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • What is Java?

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

Nazubal27

Reaction score
Just wondering who here uses Java and whether or not they wish more program posted here on OTLand were written in the language. I know I do.

Feel free to post your thoughts on whether you think Java is fast enough to handle a real-time server

In my opinion Java is ok to handle a real-time server but I have no idea if you can embed Lua in Java, google tells me that you can but I'm not sure.

In my opinion Java is ok to handle a real-time server but I have no idea if you can embed Lua in Java, google tells me that you can but I'm not sure.
I would rather just do away with lua all together and just use java

But Lua give us the ability to change the whole game without re-compiling. How can you do that with java?
Using java as a scripting language.

Well you would only need to compile the java files that are being as a scripting language. Java's compiling is so much simpler then c++ too... you just type javac filename.java, or javac *.java to compile them all, or you just use an IDE and hit compile. This is probably pretty bias tho since I don't know c++ well and I know Java well

But it would be annoying to compile the whole server just because you forgot to change a variable in, for example, the equivalent of config.lua.
But I'm not discouraging you, I'm just mentioning things that should be mentioned.
It should be fun to give it a try.

But it would be annoying to compile the whole server just because you forgot to change a variable in, for example, the equivalent of config.lua.
But I'm not discouraging you, I'm just mentioning things that should be mentioned.
It should be fun to give it a try.
You would only have to compile the config.java file. Java doesn't care if all the files were compiled together or not.

Back