• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Regarding download & run servers and scammers.

Amoaz

Faloria owner
Reaction score
Before you read this through, please have this in your mind; I Dont want to throw shit at anyone! Im just enlightning people about the risks of certain servers!!!

Im writing this for the players, not the server owners. I Know some people will hate, but this is just a reminder of what you are throwing your money at, and how they handle your information.

So, we all know "download & run" servers are becoming more and more common. Why? -> $money$

To me, this is just one big huge fraud. Most of the servers who's doing this are completly unsecure and getting classified information is no match at all.
Lets for example say you donated to a server, with your creditcard via PayPal. Sure PayPal is safe to a ceratin extent , but they bounce all your information with the seller site aswell.

The owners of servers which are running on downloadable datapacks, usually got small or none knowledge of how it all works. How the server communicate with the website, how the website interact with the database or how easy its to sniff out information from their players. And why would they, its not their problem, because if it was, they would've fixed it long time ago.

Security, customer respect and knowledge.

Download & run servers are increasing, and at the same time the security is getting lower, and the demand regarding it from the players are close to non-existing.
If you just knew how easy your password and account name could be seen by others, im sure you would think twice before signing up to one of those servers.

But how do you see that a server is unsecure and just wants your money?

Heres a few tricks ive learnt through the years;

1. Server website. Is it unique? Have you seen it before? Have you seen it ALOT before? Is the layout poor and some of the links not even working? Is the first thing that hits your face a big advertiser about donating money to the server? Id suggest you to get out of there ASAP. Those are signs that could tell you that the server is unfinished and the owner dosnt even bother to put down enough energy to make the linking work properly (probably because he cant).

2. Hows the server staff? Are they active? Do they take daily actions? Is the server owner even logged in once in a while? Another good sign. Inactive staff members should tell players right away that this isnt a very seriouse or good server. If it was, wouldnt the owner hire active staff which took care of the community?

3. Did you see the server owner before/is he known from other projects? Examples of good server hosters are hosters that are building up their reputation by hosting several servers during the years and getting good feedback on them. They never shut a server down due to lack of donation money, some of them dosnt even have something called donations! Search for those servers instead of picking the server on top of Otservlist just because it got alot of players, it dosnt mean the community is good, more likely the opposite, crowded with botters and cheaters.

4. How does the donation items look? Are the donation items made in a ridiculous OP way, or are they still balanced to the normal items? Some scamm hosters creates their donates, only with one thing in their mind -> making money. And in order to do so, you, the player, will have to want to buy them. Therefor they add an axe with 100 damage, just to "force" all the knights on the server to get this axe if they want to be the best!

5. Did the hoster hire anyone to help him with the server, or is it all made by a "one man team"? Isnt it obviouse here? Noone (well ye some that spends years and years on complete custom Ots) can create a server by themselfs. If they claim they did, its in 95% of the cases something they downloaded and then, with minior edits, released with another name. Stay away from those, they are typically "download & run" servers.

So please, before joining an unseriouse project, think over this. Is it worth donating money to someone who stole/downloaded someone else's work? Is it worth giving them personal information?

Amoaz's Blacklist of "download & run servers" follows;

1. GhostOT - Latest News
(GhostX here on OtLand got NOTHING to do with it, so dont bother him, bother the real owner (whoever that kid is))
Reason:
Summery:
The server is so unstable and so unsafe that I got no clue how people could join here in the first place. Website seen 1581089734187 times?
*He didnt bother to swap out the screenshots (sign of lazyness and how less he cares. Or maybe he just dont know how to fix the easiest thing on a webpage. Anyway, he got 0 clue what his doing with this server.)
*The site is just one big exploit. Hacking this would be manageable for a three year old. If you want your information to leak, this is the place you should go to!
*Another downloaded evolution map with slight changes.
They are giving away ALL the information from the donators (IP address, email, amount of points, costs, account names). And the most retarded thing is-> its visible to EVERYONE.
Proof: Pastebin.com (Im sorry for the ones whos in this list, but you shouldnt be mad at me, this is visable to all of you if your looking at the right place. No blocks, no nothing.)

This list will be updated from time to time. If you got a server you think would fit on this list please post it here in this thread and ill look it up!

Amoaz's recommended servers follows:

1. Tibianic-hr.org
Reason: Dispite lack of players (on the normal rated version) the server was kept alive. This owner dosnt use any kind of donation items to make money, probably just to finans his dedicated (which he also spent alot of money on).
*The server is well-made and so is the website.
*Money are spent here in order to protect the server from attacks.
*The hoster knows what his doing.
(Yes im old enough to agree that Tibianic, one of my biggest competitors, are well-made.)

2. Cyntara
Reason: Great server, great hosters, great people overall who made this project. They are clearly a seriouse hosting team. They've spent money, time and worked their asses of to this running.
*They got their very own website, custom client, map, scripts and items.
*Money are spent in order to prevent attacks.
*This hosting team knows what they are doing, and too me this looks very professional.

This list will be updated from time to time. Got a server you think would fit here, please post the link in the thread and ill look into it!

Hope I didnt ruin your eyes too much.

Yours,

Amoaz

Bump!

People should read this instead of joining shit OTs!

Bump.

Bump! More people should read this!

Bump.

Bumping this! :)

Bump!

Bump

Awesome said! I couldn't agree more.

add ethania.net for a download and run server :D

@topic, very nice and useful topic, these greedy people need to learn!

first of all I don't agree with cyntara it is old server but it is not so good enough you said website unique but its downloaded and just background changed its not hard to add text in picture if so. And if talked about money and download server, as far as I remember cyntara running roxor server and it is downloaded both. However webpage is good it have nice features, but topic is downloaded server getting not worth money. So I come in webpage and first text is "Any donation of $30 USD this month will receive 40 points!". I don't understand, what kind of advertisement thread this is then?

I say if you can't properly secure a website, then just do everything first hand and accs by acc manager and for download and run servers, you can't really do anything about it because sometimes (not all the time) the actual owners will upload the server if they ever get done with it. So in regards of downloading or even creating servers there will be security risks at all times. But I do agree with you Amoaz. People need to stop being stupid and thinking about donations and start thinking about what tibia was... Fun! But one thing I don't get is why add a 'recommended' list? As erikas said it sounds too much like an advertisment...

Added a recommendation list partly for advertising "real" servers and partly to give a good example for others to follow.

gief a free pentest for unique servers! XD
okay, joking :) But actually would like to see ascalon-world.net listed as recommended server ^^ Try it if you wish to.

first of all I don't agree with cyntara it is old server but it is not so good enough you said website unique but its downloaded and just background changed its not hard to add text in picture if so. And if talked about money and download server, as far as I remember cyntara running roxor server and it is downloaded both. However webpage is good it have nice features, but topic is downloaded server getting not worth money. So I come in webpage and first text is "Any donation of $30 USD this month will receive 40 points!". I don't understand, what kind of advertisement thread this is then?

Hahah of course you're gonna recommend a server that spent money with you. Lol

Although I respect your opinion and observation - Yes, the template of the website is Valhalla by Vean, and the background image was created uniquely for Cyntara. afaik the knights were copied from another source but the text is original (even had elf asking for it - if I created it I would have shared it). The AAC was developed 100% privately and afaik there is only one other server not hosted by me that's using it. It looks just like Gesior and works as simply as it does, but it is coded professionally. It was also the only website that could not be exploited by Amoaz (1/10). Anyway, the regular donations include $5, $15, and $30 options. For the month of march I offered my players something special for something they would have done anyway. If you also read the entire newsbit, you'll see that I am offering free points to players that bring friends, whether their friends donate or not. I'm not going to go into how much I pay for scripts (Cast system/TD/Custom Halo Zombies/Custom Black ops Zombies/Custom CTF) and much much more. At core, Cyntara is a RoXoR server, but RoXoR servers only accommodated up to level 350 or so, and my server (along with Heltera) were the only two with a custom potions system.

Amoaz, if this post is spamming your thread I'll delete it immediately. I just think it's a bum rap to hear that my server that I've been hosting for more than three consecutive years is being called download-and-run <_<

@OT: I feel like a "recommended server" section may be a bit advertising-ish, obviously Chris and Bogart already saw this thread and thought it didn't need to be altered/deleted so I won't do anything either. I very much do like the blacklist, albeit subjective.
Red

1. Server website. Is it unique? Have you seen it before? Have you seen it ALOT before? Is the layout poor and some of the links not even working? Is the first thing that hits your face a big advertiser about donating money to the server? Id suggest you to get out of there ASAP. Those are signs that could tell you that the server is unfinished and the owner dosnt even bother to put down enough energy to make the linking work properly (probably because he cant).

You must be kidding. Layout? I have a website with MANY systems that most open tibia servers don't even have - addon makers, quest makers, unique war statistics including every guild's member addons, quest, level, frags etc. A nice system of smoothly opening categories, only 1 category can be open at once.. But some noob will just go into the website, look at the layout and say "oh jesus, i've seen this layout 50000 times"... I think you are completely wrong with this point. I am using a normal tibia.com layout and I honestly think that this layout is very good because it is very easy to understand, it's nice and readable.

5. Did the hoster hire anyone to help him with the server, or is it all made by a "one man team"? Isnt it obviouse here? Noone (well ye some that spends years and years on complete custom Ots) can create a server by themselfs. If they claim they did, its in 95% of the cases something they downloaded and then, with minior edits, released with another name. Stay away from those, they are typically "download & run" servers.

Ohh sorry, I have spent the last 2 years on my project, I had 1 map first but then I switched to a full rl map... OF COURSE IT WAS DOWNLOADED BECAUSE IT IS A FULL RL MAP. How can it not be downloaded? Of course I added 3 totally new islands that are very good looking. Also, why should I hire someone for a full time job if I like to work on my own? Yes, it took me 2 years and now I'm about to put it on dedicated server. Of course I had MANY help with making the website and moving islands around the map. I also paid one person to make 1 single lua system for me. But just because I paid them and they will not be in staff on my server, it doesn't mean that I worked alone and even if I did - maybe I like it? Of course I agree that there should be people in the staff that will help players while I will be offline. So give them a tutor first, then senior tutor, then gm and then cm and then maybe even god.

@Red
I very much do like the blacklist, albeit subjective.
I like the blacklist as well but exactly as u said - the recommended list should NOT be there.

In terms of security, would you recommend a server to not use a website?
We have an in-game account creator, in-game guild system, in-game high scores, so on so forth.
I'm sure there is a way to have an in-game automatic donation system, I mean, if I have to, I could let people wait patiently for their donations to be processed.

We have an in-game account creator, in-game guild system, in-game high scores, so on so forth.
I'm sure there is a way to have an in-game automatic donation system, I mean, if I have to, I could let people wait patiently for their donations to be processed.

Could not agree more with this.. as it stands now many of the ACC systems are no longer being developed by the creators. Now i see people releasing their own edit versions, people who are new to owning a server won't think twice about the possibilities of it being completely bugged or hack-able.

If i was to create a server, id much rather have everything in game, unless knowing 100% the ACC is safe and bug free.

As for this thread, if people are stupid ..yes, stupid enough to donate to open-tibia servers than honestly that's their fault. Why would you spend money on a server of all things, when most don't even stay online for a few months..

I hate them....there are hundred of them, but i dont really care, i have 3 years in these business, and i can say that the players always will prefer the reputation, quality of a good ot "brand".

Absolutely. Although it's really nice to have a website, compared to all the unsecured websites out there, going without one is probably your safest bet since there's no (known) exploits in TFS.

But you probably already knew that :p
Red

Absolutely. Although it's really nice to have a website, compared to all the unsecured websites out there, going without one is probably your safest bet since there's no (known) exploits in TFS.

Lol? I thought there was a bug with an in-game acc manager, in-game guild managment and uhmmm, what else... i mean like, people could clone items using in-game guild managment... im not sure now xD

Lol? I thought there was a bug with an in-game acc manager, in-game guild managment and uhmmm, what else... i mean like, people could clone items using in-game guild managment... im not sure now xD

There was no clone bug in the account manager, but there was one for the guild manager.
All been fixed in the latest and it has been fixed for a long time now. People need to stop using 8.6 versions if you want a fixed system.

Back