• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Feedback] Unofficial Retro Project for 2013

Would you like to participate in the development of this project?

• Total voters

J.Dre

Unity Games
Solutions
Reaction score
ulaas.gif
Jobs thread: http://otland.net/f61/unofficial-retro-project-2013-paid-position-187270/

I'm here today to ask two questions: This is not a recruitment thread for the project.

1. Would you be interested in assisting in the development of an "old school" project?
  2. Would you be willing to play on a retro server in memory of the good old days?
With that being said, I have acquired the latest TFS 0.4 for client 7.4 & 7.72 in hopes of creating a server for this upcoming summer. I do not wish, nor prefer to work alone. So, I thought perhaps members of OTLand would like to be involved and we could make this a form of community project. If no one wishes to join I may resort to using sn3ekj's services as I cannot accomplish everything on my own. I've got some time on my hands and thought I've give it a shot! Nothing at this point is official, but plans are underway and your help would be extremely beneficial. All I ask of those interested is to post below and state whether or not you would be willing to do so. Please continue reading to further understand where this project is going.

By "community project," I do not mean it will be available for download or accessible by any registered member. What I mean (and encourage) is that any member of the OTLand community is welcome to join and can assist in the development of this project. Access to files will be limited to certain individuals.

• What is your plan or goal for this project?
    My intentions for this project are based solely on how much I can accomplish in the amount of time I have available aside from my life outside of OpenTibia. Involving others in this project would move things along faster and make everything a lot easier, especially if the people involved all have a specific set of skills and are willing to share their time and knowledge with all of those involved. When it's all said and done, by this summer, I would like to have a fully functional and ready-to-host server. And since we will be using the latest version of TFS, the new features shouldn't be removed or completely taken out of the planning either. I'm sure a lot of people would like offline training and guild wars in an old school server. As for what the rates will be, they will definitely be on the lower side. This server is not going to contain portals taking you everywhere. However, portals may be used for certain things within the server (i.e. arenas, events).
    -
  • What will be your role in this project?
    At this point I will be assisting in the scripting department. I plan to make ideas come to life with what knowledge I have in Lua scriptwriting. Hopefully there will be more than myself involved in this area, but this is unfortunately the only skill I have acquired specifically for OpenTibia besides organizing events and projects. I will also pay for hosting and manage certain aspects of the server (i.e. assigning positions to those involved).
    -
  • Are you planning to profit from this project in any way?
    No, I do not plan to profit from this server. I will not have a shop system and will not sell items. However, I have some ideas to acquire funding for the project as it will cost money to host and maintain it. Any and all proceeds will go directly to our host/hosting service to improve the security and stability of the server. Leftover funds will be used for improvements in all areas, including but not limited to: the website, DDoS protection, and all other aspects of the project itself through services such as sn3ejk's. Donations will be accepted as just that: a donation. For example, there may be a donation button available on the website and nothing will be provided in return. A donation in this regard will be accepted on behalf of the donator in his/her good graces supporting our efforts, nothing more.
    -
  • What type of map will be used?
    I have considered a Tibia map, but I dislike the idea of it. Therefore, I have decided to use a map from a legendary old school OpenTibia Server [hosted in Sweden back in 2008] known as Revelations. It is based off of the infamous Spartacus map. Our mapper is currently revamping and redesigning it to accommodate for a greater amount of players. We will have updates on a regular basis (fixes, etc.). Large updates will take place every 2-3 months, introducing new towns, new quests, new hunting areas, and more.

Well, this is all I have for now: a page of words and a goal! Now it is your turn to decide what you would like to do. There is no obligation to stay on the team, you are welcome to leave at any point. Access to the files will be limited to myself, the host, key developers, and some Community Managers*. (This eliminates the potential risk of losing our work to those who are irresponsible and wish to do more harm than good.)

*Community Manager(s): At this point, only myself and one other member hold this position. I'm looking for respected and reputable members among the community to fill this position. There will be one position to fill, and it will be given to someone mature enough to handle such a position. Red has offered to be a part-time CM for this project. He is a good friend of mine and I am honored to have him on board.

Thank you for your time! :thumbup:

J.Dre

Last edited:
I am always happy to help people who helped me (by buying my "services" to help me pay rent, for example). ^^

Looks great :) Goodluck!

Looks great :) Goodluck!

Sounds interesting. Goodluck Dre!

Thank you! I appreciate the support. :) Just hope others are interested, otherwise it will never get finished, and may never begin.

---

FYI: This is not a recruitment thread. I'm basically surveying the community to see if they would be interested.

It looks promising :]
I'm waiting for more information.

I might be interested depending on what type of server you plan to make and who is involved.

I understand you'll be using a custom map but what type of server is the map designed for? Is it going to be a full rpg with a bunch of custom quests, spells and features? Will it be a teleport server? Low rates? Custom items or vocations? You mention using stamina and possibly offline trainers which makes me think this wont be a lower rate old school feeling server. I could be wrong, I'll wait for more information about the project to be released before applying.

I understand you'll be using a custom map but what type of server is the map designed for? Is it going to be a full rpg with a bunch of custom quests, spells and features? Will it be a teleport server? Low rates? Custom items or vocations? You mention using stamina and possibly offline trainers which makes me think this wont be a lower rate old school feeling server. I could be wrong, I'll wait for more information about the project to be released before applying.

RPG for certain. Rates will be on the lower side, and there won't be "teleport" rooms. More information on this will be released when the time is right. I do have a general idea of what I would like to do, but I'm hoping to collaborate with other members who may be interested in the development process to determine what direction we take with the project.

I have updated the main post with some more information on the map.

You should host it on USA. Players from sweden got 50+ mbs. but some people from brazil, mexico, canada, chile, argentina, venezuela, and usa no almost all got only 1mb (some of them got less than .5). after getting lvl 30+ we're done. We get big lags and make it impossible to fight. Swedish people is able to reach to usa with that connection but we can't

You should host it on USA. Players from sweden got 50+ mbs. but some people from brazil, mexico, canada, chile, argentina, venezuela, and usa no almost all got only 1mb (some of them got less than .5). after getting lvl 30+ we're done. We get big lags and make it impossible to fight. Swedish people is able to reach to usa with that connection but we can't

That's a good point, I'm glad you brought it up. I have been considering options for hosting in the USA, and have found that my best option would be to perhaps use a server on the east coast to be more in between South America and Europe.

I am interested in this project :)

I would like to know in which way I can help!
I'm a mapper and a designer but I can do other things aswell!

That's a good point, I'm glad you brought it up. I have been considering options for hosting in the USA, and have found that my best option would be to perhaps use a server on the east coast to be more in between South America and Europe.

If you're considering hosting in the USA, I might be able to host you or at least recommend a provider to you. I have plenty of spare resources on my server, PM me for more details.

Will this add a new user to Otland for you to do job recruitment etc like TibiaWR?

Once I see some active development, I'll be sure to give my support & opinions. Until then, I feel like they are wasted.

I will wish you luck though, good luck.

I am interested in this project :)

I would like to know in which way I can help!
I'm a mapper and a designer but I can do other things aswell!

Sounds good! When I create a jobs thread, be sure to check it out. :D

If you're considering hosting in the USA, I might be able to host you or at least recommend a provider to you. I have plenty of spare resources on my server, PM me for more details.

Definitely something to consider. I'll contact you if Don Daniello doesn't offer USA hosting.

Back