• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Team Official Opentibia Distribution/server - Let's break the trend with a community Proje

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zisly

Intermediate OT User
Reaction score
Hello!

Mods: don't be too quick with the trigger.

Forewords
I know what you might be thinking when reading the title, "OTFans", but please bear with me. Don't let the rivalry between these two sites ruin this. The main target of this project is offering something to open-Tibia in general, something to aid the bleeding wound. The distributions today are up to date which is great, I salute the developers who've made it possible, but in the other aspects things are not as good anymore, the feeling of community was lost somewhere. There's not a lot of people contributing anymore in the same sense, I don't really blame them. People are trying to sell everything, can't really blame them either. Thing is though: things are only gonna get worse if we don't break this trend. "open-tibia", we're today far from open and the idea behind Open-Tibia seems to be lost, creating your own server. The most used map is Cipsoft's map, without even editing out the shitty things they added...

Open-Tibia has a huge amount of talented and knowledgeable people, why should we limit ourselves to a tiny team of 3-5 people? We want to make use of the collected knowledge. We want everyone involved, players, developers, even these so called "leechers" are gonna have a helping, without even knowing! let's go back to what OT was intended for. This is what the project is for: bringing back the feeling of community as well as creating something with everyone's knowledge.

What is this?
This is a community driven distribution/server project, which means anyone can bring up their thoughts/ideas and also contribute with scripting, mapping and story writing. The work submitted will always be tested to see if it works and fits with the server, no matter who it comes from. We don't want a big casserole of unorganized and unplanned content, more about it here.

The official forum is hosted at OTFans, here. Make sure to give it a visit and share your thoughts, do not hesitate, your input is important, you're a part of this!

Motive behind
The open-Tibia scene is not really how it used to, things change with time, that we are all aware of, but the changes that have happened here are sad and the downfall has been progressing way too fast. We have gone from a open community to a closed one. You might ask yourself "but the distributions are up to date with Tibia?". That's true, the distributions today are up to date, which is great, I salute the developers who've made it possible, but in the other aspects things are not as good anymore, the feeling of community was lost somewhere down the road. There's not a lot of people contributing anymore in the same sense, a lot of them are trying to sell everything, I can't really blame them considering the current state: people just wanting the world without putting anything into the game themselves. Thing is though: things are only gonna get worse if we don't break this trend. "open-tibia", we're today far from open and the idea behind Open-Tibia seems to be lost. The most used map today is Cipsoft's map, without even editing out the bad things they added...

Open-Tibia has a huge amount of talented and knowledgeable people, why should we limit ourselves to a tiny team of 3-5 people? We should make use of the collected knowledge. We want everyone involved, players, developers, even these so called "leechers" are gonna have a helping role, without even knowing! we want to go back to what OT was intended for.

How can I help?
The beauty of this is that everyone can help, no matter how experienced or who you are. Just sharing your thoughts and ideas at our board is something we really need and appreciate, this is a big contribution and for it you do not need to be a so called "expert" or apply anywhere, just share what you'd love to see in a server in our board, here. Before creating a new thread, always make sure to read the stickies in the board you're posting it in.

Submitting map/code/stories
You do not need to be in the official team to contribute with work, read here what the team is for, you can submit your implementation and adaptation of an idea no matter who you are. The contribution will have to go through quality testing before being commited into the distribution though, we cannot blindly let everything pass, do not let this discourage you from contributing work though. Your contribution will be taken up in the staff board and it will be tested, if everything works fine, it'll be added to the distribution, most likely after some adaptations and modifications to make it fit. If it's added into the distribution you'll get credits in the commit comment.

What is the team for?
Even though it's a community project, we still need some kind of team for organization and quality testing purposes. Everything can't be added in good faith that it will work nicely together, this would just result into the distribution being a big pile of things without being connected in a satisfyingly manner. Contributions from everyone will have to be quality tested and made sure that the current adaption of it works, if it doesn't, a solution will be tried to be established, for example adapting the contribution to fit with the rest, this is one of the roles of a team member.

As I said before: everyone can contribute. One of the other tasks of a team member is to offer their expertise as an organized resource. Let's say a discussion arises and we come to the conclusion that this idea would be a nice addition, now we need someone to script this, who will do this? By having a team, we can go to them instantly, people who can create this, and ask if they're able to code this, if they're: we got our script. The script is then quality tested and then committed into the online repository. The only difference between a team member and a regular forum member in the field of contribution is the organization aspect of it pretty much.

What happens behind the scenes?
We have a couple of private boards which are limited to the team only. In these boards we take public ideas into private discussions, this to discuss possible adaption and implementation aspects of it as well if it would be possible and fitting to add. If something is decided to be added, a task will be created describing what has to be done, whoever feels he has time and the required knowledge can take them on and then submit them for evaluation before they're committed into the official branch.

The reason for these thing being private is for organization purposes to save time and to keep for example quest adaptations away from being visible in plain text for the public. We want to offer some surprises, you can have a clue that a quest idea exists but you wont be able to tell what has to be done until you look into the code, this you'll do if you got the knowledge but a player will most likely not understand what he's looking and therefore the method serving its purpose.

How do I join the team?
If you want to join the team make sure you understand what the project is first and what your role would be. We are searching for people with experience and knowledge in any field that revolves around the data folder aspect of a distribution/server, which would be: scripting, mapping and story writing.

To apply, continue reading the paragraphs underneath and then submit your application either by private message to Zisly or by posting here, the thread would be preferable.

What is required from me?
The requirements are that you have experience and the knowledge in the field you're applying for, prove this by submitting examples of your work. We do not expect you to put in countless hours a week, most of us have other things taking up time in our lives like school and work, we respect and understand this. You must at least be able to chip in one way or the other that distinguishes itself from the regular member though else there isn't really any reason for applying.

A part from the mentioned above, you need to read all sticky threads in private boards and understand them, keeping yourself updated with the stickies in the public board is necessary as well, your role extends on the member role, so a lot of things apply to you as well.

Where can I follow the progress?
You can follow the progress by checking the (dead link removed). When major steps have been made, announcements will be created, so keep an eye on that the announcements board as well for a summary of changes.

Where can I download the distribution?
The latest version will always be available in the (dead link removed) once there has been enough changes, a .rar file will be uploaded together with an announcement which will tell you about the changes made.

What engine does it use?
We will be using the latest version of OTServ.

Are there source changes?
No, the idea is to keep source changes away from our distribution, you should always be able to run it on the latest OTServ engine. If a source change needs to be done, we'll submit it to the OTServ team and hope it's implemented that way instead. This will make things easier. So see this as a datapack, meaning a package of scripts, map and all that which runs on the latest otserv.

Kind Regards,
Zisly

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish to offer my self to you. I am good scripter I am in think that theres nothing in LUA that I could not to do. I have very big experience in doing tibia with sound using tibiando but theres should not be a problem to do own stuff with irrKlang. I would have time for you and I am in think that I could be useful.

I have never been in normal team. most of my time I was working for my own and alone. However I am applying to work with you Zisly. And I am mention that not for you, but with you.

At the moment I have my own project called Camual, ATM I am working with it for more than 5 months. You can also visit my Camual discussion thread to result how good I am.

http://otland.net/f251/camual-discussion-thread-already-full-sound-based-ots-149730/

wish u most of luck i do want those days back
Thanks. You can help by giving your input, everyone can help. We are trying to get discussions going about a possible base structure of the map, here. Maybe you have something to say? we would really appreciate if people could share their thoughts.

Hmm, I'm in (part-time). ^_^

Let me know when a team is assembled.

Sorry but after i read all this words i didn't benefit even 1%? basically you are asking for what everyone asks today [team work] and 99.9% of the people who ask about this doesn't have any kind of knowledge.

Whatever you did in a server man you can't have the thing you asking for [feeling community etc] because at the end it's just a SERVER had a launch day and will have a GoodBye Day .

i don't believe that server will need 5 people +/- to work on it it's just need someone with a good experience and im sure that he will do it better than a full team with no knowledge [or little knowledge] .

but congratulation you just made your request looks different a little bit than others but the idea still the same.

EDIT : can u press F3 and try search about such words [donate/money] you won't find any of these words , you already talked about everything and said long words about the people you want them to work [for you] but you didn't even type 1 word about the profits you will take or if the job will be paid or not ?

I don't know if you really read what I wrote, read something between the lines that isn't there, or if I simply phrased myself incredibly clumpy. Don't worry, no matter which alternative, an elaborate text will come soon where everything is explained so these doubts are removed.

Sorry but after i read all this words i didn't benefit even 1%? basically you are asking for what everyone asks today [team work] and 99.9% of the people who ask about this doesn't have any kind of knowledge.
I have knowledge but this is not something one man does.

Whatever you did in a server man you can't have the thing you asking for [feeling community etc] because at the end it's just a SERVER had a launch day and will have a GoodBye Day .
That's where you're wrong, this is no server per se. This is a community driven distribution that will be available for the public, we might choose to host it when it's finished but so can everyone else.

i don't believe that server will need 5 people +/- to work on it it's just need someone with a good experience and im sure that he will do it better than a full team with no knowledge [or little knowledge] .
That's where organization comes into play. If you can lead, organize and make use of assets, you'll get a superior result, actually, a result at all, when was the last time you saw an ambitious 5 man project finished?... You really think everyone can just commit whatever without any quality testing done beforehand? No, things won't just be added by anyone, things will always undergo quality testing, this is one of the many reasons why we need help: we need more people with experience so things can move along a lot faster.

but congratulation you just made your request looks different a little bit than others but the idea still the same.
That I need help, yes, the rest? no.

EDIT : can u press F3 and try search about such words [donate/money] you won't find any of these words , you already talked about everything and said long words about the people you want them to work [for you] but you didn't even type 1 word about the profits you will take or if the job will be paid or not ?
Again, this is a community driven distribution, it's not planned as a project which will yield profit. Work for me? I will lead, I guess you could call it "work for me" but my job is to keep things organized, lead the team and even do work myself, you're looking at this wrong. This is a non-profit project which everyone will be able to take part from. You're right, no one's getting paid and I see no reason for paying, can you? I know it sounds damn weird, specially in this times, but that's exactly what we want to fight. Sad to see really, when you want to contribute to the community you have to pay the community first... really saddens me, but also motivates me.

i would help but idk how you could use me xd
You ever played Tibia or an open-Tibia server? well, if so, you can help by giving your input and ideas as a player: giving us something to work towards.

Last edited:

you sir, suck

this ot has nothing to do with money, if you like to get money; get a job

This OT is trying to represent the community as much as possible, allowing as many people as possible to contribute.

This server is about few things:
1) Everyone within a community working on a project.
2) Anyone can contribute.
3) You don't need to be in the 'official' team to help, or submit work.
4) A truly custom RPG worked on people who play, work on OTS, and have experience or some experience in a field.
5) No one is profiting off anything.
6) This server is about being stable, and well thought-out.
7) Open-source server.

What makes this project different then others?:
Just for the reasons above I just stated. Also, this is a community project. Not couple people working on a server. This server like we said, will be hosted, and will be released. So people who didn't even contribute have a ready-to-go, bugless RPG server. Also, if you strip it down to the distribution, you can use that as your engine with the features/scripts that comes with it. The best part, this is an open-source server.

This project is made to help bring back the old days of Open-Tibia, where everyone contributed without the concept of money. This server is about regaining the old Open-Tibia days; where everyone contributed and helped everyone out, and to break the real map trend!

Now, to be honest. Look at most projects, now you tell me. Was that a thought out server that's truly custom? No. Is the project Open to the community? No. Now with most real map owners, working on their server, and their experience they have you can't tell me they can't make a well thought-out custom rpg server? If OTFans or this project was about money, it would be a real map server. Which servers get the most donations? Real maps.

Think outside the box.

Last edited:
Go Fablow, go!

I'm hopefully going to contribute :- D

Interesting.
It's just so sad how the name already points to a certain community.

It severely discourages me to see "Official OTFans Distro". I'm barely involved with OTFans anymore (even though I don't hate them at all) so it doesn't seem very appealing.
Just my opinion on.. the name :p.

The least I could do is give some maps.
I might apply, though. just not sure yet

Interesting.
It's just so sad how the name already points to a certain community.

It severely discourages me to see "Official OTFans Distro". I'm barely involved with OTFans anymore (even though I don't hate them at all) so it doesn't seem very appealing.
Just my opinion on.. the name :p.

Communities build on each other. I don't see how a community or name should discourage anyone from joining any project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back