• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

A good war server...

Oxious

Amateur Mapper & Scripter
Reaction score
Greetings.

I've been playing numerous war servers recently and there is one thing I am missing in most every server I've tried: Teamplay.

A simple example:

A group of 20 vs 20 people are fighting in a 3sqm wide passage way. Knights are upfront and under attack by the enemy team. NOONE heals the knights. I've been playing knight characters recently and on purpose rush to the front cause that's where the action is at. But as a lvl 200 EK it is hard to survive against 10 mages shooting SDs. The people from my team will just keep spamming attack runes not paying attention to my health until I die and they get raped because they have no one to tank for them...
When I am playing a mage or a paladin I always have a bp of UH opened in case a teammate needs quick healing.

The purpose of this thread? Of course a change in general behaviour would be great (though I know this will not happen..). So what else could be done? I'm talking about a server setup that enforces teamplay and reduces the sheer hunt for who has the most frags. I think I'm not the only one that wants a good, teamplay orientated war server.

Here are some of my ideas

I guess first of all experience has to be turned off. Experience you get from killing players is one of the main reasons why people focus more on killing the enemy than keeping the friend alive.

Maybe a teampoint system would be handy. What I'm talking about is something like this: each team starts with 100 points. Every player that dies from your own team will cost the team 1 point. This could encourage teamplay and the will to keep your teammates alive. Once your team's points reach 0 your team loses and the next map/round is started.
The total ammount of points each team has at the beginning of a new round should be based on the total ammount of players online of course (so a match with 100vs100 doesn't end in 5 minutes while a 10vs10 match lasts 2 hours).
Also there should still be a time limit to avoid abuse by people afking someplace safe and remote to keep the team from reaching 0 points. At the end of the time the team with the highest remaining points wins of course.

Maybe a cap system could help as well. It wouldn't allow people to carry an infinite ammount of supplies. For example I've seen sorcerers constantly going up/down stairs using UE. They literally could not be killed because they had an infinite ammount of GMPs and due to the fact they would go up/down you could hardly attack them. Imho this technique has nothing to do with being a good PvPer, it's just a way of using the weaknesses of the PvP system.

Spells and runes are another very important factor. The usage of area runes like gfb or this energy like gfb rune should be limited. It's common on most OTS that people start spamming area runes when they cannot directly target an opponent. Not only does this cause lag but it also makes it impossible to see messages on the screen (all the animations from the rune/spell spamming are causing an overdraw I suppose).

Furthermore you should be able to hurt your own teammates. This will make people extra cautios when using areaspells and runes and force them to focus more on tactic and firepower.

Of course the normal tibia attackspeed and exhaust should be used. There should be no selfmade overpowered equipments or items.

A frag counter should still exist. But there should be no extra reward except for your character info showing the number of frags (eg. You see xx. He is a xx. He has xx frags.).

The maps also are very important. I've often seen PVP servers where the maps are just way too big with way too many teleporters. A good PvP server should have several smaller maps with different themes such as: city, open field, desert, underground, mountains. Maps should be themed not just a mix of every setting or a modified ripoff from the RL map.
The maps should, depending on the theme, either encourage open battle or static war (for example there is a river dividing the 2 teamsides and people are fighting to take over the enemy territory while still defending their own).

This is pretty much all I can think of at the moment. If you have any critique or additions, feel free to express yourself. Maybe a few people can gather and set up a quality PvP server, not just a "run around and spam hotkeys"-server.

Well of course I agree with you in general, but some things like giving no exp will cause that nobody will play the server...
90% of the players just want to level their character until they are undefeatable^^

I tried to make up a new idea of war servers with some gamemodes like "castle defend", or "bases"...
Take a look at it if you are interested, but be warned, that we have big problems with mysql diconnects which will cause a server crash...
(Hope for a fix in TFS 0.3.2)
IP: ashandra.net
PORT: 7171

Yours,
Markey

Yeah ashandra is realy nice i vote always for the deathmatch (!vote d , !vote deathmatch)
i got my team and we are owniing there;D
Well markey (mate) you shall make that the players lvl save but it cant go over 150 that would be nice ^.^

Last edited:
Ashandra indeed has a very nice concept and it's one of the best war servers out there.

I agree with you, but the question is, Who would make a server like that? :)

Someone who's interested in establishing a good PvP community.

Back
Top Bottom