• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Another new map editor (WIP)

TGYoshi

In space
Reaction score
Some weeks ago I've begun on a new map editor. This for two reasons; the current editor (RME) lacks certain "cool" features, and is generally outdated - and I was plainly bored and interested :p.

At the time I'm posting this, the editor is functional.
This means, the following basic features work:
- Adding items (aka 'raw palette')
- Removing items
- Rendering, scrolling, floor change etc.
- Loading existing otbm files
- Saving to an otbm file

The current editor looks;
6t4VT.jpg

OvMNF.png

The editor is coded in C#, if you want to know that. This means it'll be Windows-only.

Unlike Fallen, who's also making a map editor, I'm not necessarily focusing on optimal performance. That means, a Tibia RL map will not load within 2 seconds (like Fallen claimed his does). Of course, performance should be there (Current loading/saving times lie around RME's times), and should not be disregarded.
Instead of optimal performance, I'll be focusing on features.

Current features:
- Manipulating a tile stack (e.g. moving items up/down on a certain tile, selecting a 'deeper' tile, unlike RME).

Planned features:
- ?? =P

Anyway, I'd love to hear comments, suggestions/ideas etc :].

You seem to have more knowlegdge in .net when it comes to ot than I,
I really like the fact that you also are making a map editor. But if you are going to separate all of your projects into multiple ones. You could try what i attemted before.
A general IDE for OT, With map editor,script editor, plugins and all that
I think that would be a much better approach to make.

I could give some more tips, Perhaps even help you in the project(i know plenty C# as well), Add me in msn ([email protected]) or skype (ivan_rok92)

Well, I'm not going to make an IDE for it altogether because it's simply not needed. I prefer to have a script editor and map editor totally separated myself. Besides that, the map editor it built up totally different compared to my existing SpellCreator, which makes merging somewhat annoying.

I'm a solo developer, by the way. :)

I'm not being a hater here, but what cool features are we talking about?
Remere's tool has everything that is basically needed.

Current features:
- Manipulating a tile stack (e.g. moving items up/down on a certain tile, selecting a 'deeper' tile, unlike RME).

This

I'm not being a hater here, but what cool features are we talking about?
Remere's tool has everything that is basically needed.

Read through Fallen's topic and you'll get quite a lot of inspiration and suggestions for 'cool' ideas. But I won't disagree on you, RME got the useful things that are needed.
Well, for now I'm just experimenting around a bit with what's possible.

EDIT: An example of what I'm striving towards is e.g. this idea mentioned in Fallen's topic. http://otland.net/f251/new-map-editor-129244/index30.html#post1343793 (and more? =P)

Last edited:
@TGYoshi
-If possible Live mapping
*ChatBox*
-the ability to create custom pallets
-Hotkey, to save one Item on an Number (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9)
-Hotkeys, to access certain Pallet or thing. Ex. M=MiniMap , T=Terrain, R=Raw

^ some ideas thoughts that can be useful

Also @your current feature that is not quite good idea, since the DAT/SPR/OTB has a position already for items, that can messed up some mappers. since they will see something @mapeditor and @in-game something different.

but this is good another map editor means competition :p and developers will work their ass off to give better stuffs :D

@TGYoshi
-If possible Live mapping
*ChatBox*
-the ability to create custom pallets
-Hotkey, to save one Item on an Number (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9)
-Hotkeys, to access certain Pallet or thing. Ex. M=MiniMap , T=Terrain, R=Raw

^ some ideas thoughts that can be useful

Also @your current feature that is not quite good idea, since the DAT/SPR/OTB has a position already for items, that can messed up some mappers. since they will see something @mapeditor and @in-game something different.

but this is good another map editor means competition :p and developers will work their ass off to give better stuffs :D

Thanks for your feedback =).
The stack "feature" works as it should, just certain items can not be stacked in a custom way (e.g. ground tiles), but those can not be moved "upwards" or "downwards" anyway.
However, for example borders can be 'restacked' that way, or certain other items.

I love the idea of having a hotkey panel for items, certainly useful!

@TGYoshi
well this is all already on RME but just some good mappers know of it :p, but yes is quite useful :)

and @ the border thing i love that! <3 keep it UP!

well got a pair of ideas:

a live map editor well builded, 9.6 that allows host, join, and livestream etc chat box inside, being the hoster be able to asign a color to every person connected and if it's possible the name floating, maybe a section that connects with X website where you can download, buy maps, share...( not sure if it's a good idea at all...) maybe a Test button where you can walk with a character like if you were playing with day ambient, and night ambient. Maybe in the same map editor change ambient light and be able to see how look like the lights and shades etc..

Didn't read the other post so sorry if I repeat any idea :)

well got a pair of ideas:

a live map editor well builded, 9.6 that allows host, join, and livestream etc chat box inside, being the hoster be able to asign a color to every person connected and if it's possible the name floating, maybe a section that connects with X website where you can download, buy maps, share...( not sure if it's a good idea at all...) maybe a Test button where you can walk with a character like if you were playing with day ambient, and night ambient. Maybe in the same map editor change ambient light and be able to see how look like the lights and shades etc..

Didn't read the other post so sorry if I repeat any idea :)

Well, 'live' editing might be added later, I certainly won't do that immediately since the editor itself has to work "perfectly" first.
I've also thought about some ambient view with lighting etc. myself, might do that.

Thanks for your feedback :].

Actually i have to agree with Fallen here, Using OTClient for a map editor is a great idea. Not because it's a client but it gives alot of possiblities (As well as a unified IDE with the client).
Still making this in C# makes things alot faster to make XD. I hope for this software to be good as well. I really don't know why people flame all the time, i think they should support all the few projects that put into the ot community. Keep up the good work.

@ On Topic

Since mappers have a really good need to use the mouse as much as they need, i think you should add a good right click menu.
Kind of like a dialog with quick search and Favorites, Recent id's selected and all that.

"Posting pick soon"

Look lower down for the idea XD...

Last edited:
Back