• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

How to get a server to stay alive?

Zt0ffe

Reaction score
What I see it as, it looks like that OTs are disappearing more and more of which servers lose players. I have now been doing a 8.6 project for almost a year and will soon put up my server (some left with the home page). Having struggled very hard on this and thought why do a small reasearch before I put it up so I might have to do some changes or so on for it to be successful. Also just to add I have an big a** "VIP" island or what to call it for thoese who want to have an even bigger adventure and help us pay for host etc.

What do you think guys, is The most important thing and best to maintain a server alive when it starts? What's to think about?

Kind regards,
Zt0ffe

Make it different, surprise player with something they didn't see on other servers.
Post changes to main site to let people know that you care and communicate with people.

Make it different, surprise player with something they didn't see on other servers.
Post changes to main site to let people know that you care and communicate with people.

I will always have the communication with the people playing on my server thats no doubt. Online as possbile, if not able to be online I'll read the forum.

You have any example on how making it that diffrent from other servers?

Kind regards,
Zt0ffe

How to make a server stay alive?
Easy, do not close it!

Jk mate, i will give you some tip in skype!

Advertise a lot before you release, Make sure you have tested the server and it is bug-free. (If you have to reset accounts due to a bug, you will instantly lose players).

The most important thing... Make sure your server is fun, as long as people are having fun on your server, they won't quit, pretty simple.

I believe that a server will always stay alive with dedicated players if the owner decides to have regular updates for the server, fun updates with a lot of new stuff for the players to enjoy.

There is no 1 simple trick to get a server to stay alive! It's a combinations of things such as..
  • Constant updates to the server to keep the players entertained.
  • Balanced server, vocations, monsters, items etc..
  • The correct exp rate to the server. If you beat a sever within a few days its trash.
  • Addicting and fun to play, has to be made so that the players wanna keep coming back to play.
  • Its good to advertise, make mapping threads and such which will lead to more players intrest!

Sounds good so far, keep bringing thoughts, Im also intrested :)

Kind Regards,
Eldin.

There is no 1 simple trick to get a server to stay alive! It's a combinations of things such as..
  • Constant updates to the server to keep the players entertained.
  • Balanced server, vocations, monsters, items etc..
  • The correct exp rate to the server. If you beat a sever within a few days its trash.
  • Addicting and fun to play, has to be made so that the players wanna keep coming back to play.
  • Its good to advertise, make mapping threads and such which will lead to more players intrest!

Keep the server balanced in some ways easier than said, like Flatlanders other post someone wrote a perfect comment for the balancing thing. It will never be balanced since always some guy / guys whining about dmg etc.
Find a fear experience stage is also kinda hard, some people like it slow and others fast, thats why I will try keep it in the middle of that.
I'll do as much updates possible, will use an suggestion board to for people to suggest changes etc.
The tip with mapping thread was a nice thought since Iv done kinda a lot of mapping to my server. Just need more ideas of unique items / bosses.

And thank you a lot for your thoughts and tip!

@CorneX, you so evul! :(

@Flatlander, servers has been tested many times before so far as I know there is no buggs Im aware of that can crash or do anything to the server.

@mlody.1039, I'm very aware of that but thanks for brining it up for others. You need to have the traniners at 15 minutes btw, it was what Lukaz at otservlist told me and compile your server with "--enable-server-diag".

@Spookie, thats why I'll bring up an suggestion board for players coming up with their ideas and listen to them about what they want to improve the server and do my best with solving it in a fair way. "Customer are always right!" ;)

@eldiN, thats why I made the post I guess there are MANY others intrested in some ideas of this thread! :)

Thank you guys for the ideas! Keep them coming! :)

Kind Regards,
Zt0ffe

you need to decide if you want a server full of bots or a server with real players :) that is what 8.6 is for.

First of all (this is something a lot of servers fail at): don't open the server too soon. people tend to ask owners to open asap but let them wait. A bad start is very bad for the longetivity of a sever. Make at least 1 or 2 closed beta test with different people (always the same people tend to overlook bugs). A bugfree server at start is impossible but when there is an exploit people will find it.

Secondly: Advertising, a lot of people tend to do too little advertising. Make discussion thread,advertising thread, mapping thread,screenshot thread. go to different sites. maybe even if you got the cash buy a countdown/banner on otservlist (i wouldn't suggest this for a custom server because they are really expensive and sadly enough these days you won't get enough people to break even)

the next thing
is: Listen to your playerbase BUT think twice before you make game changing changes, people tend to ask for stuff they benefit from and then learn that it ruins the server, i've seen it happen again and again and it makes me sad :(

Keep the players busy: This doesnt mean you have to double the content every week but make some small changes, some new spawn, some new secret OR just have some cool event. A lot of server tend to focus on adding new content but you can also just keep players entertained with a decent event: Eg. Easter eggs scattered around the map, try and locate them (if you click on them maybe you'll find some cool unique deco). Or The kings dog ran away, it only listens to the name: Snuffie. Ask around and try to locate him. the first one to use collar and succeeds (10 percent chance) will get a royal gift.

Also what ive seen on some servers and i really like: Make the map bit bigger at the beginning (outline) but leave some stuff blocked by boulders or so. when you are ready for a release say: An earthquake southeast managed to do a lot of damage and a lot of the mountain moved. (make some cool story behind it) then people need to think and explore for themselves.

Last but definetly not least: BE MOTIVATED! Have fun at creating a server and working for it. it doesnt matter how many people are playing it, if you're having fun and keep working at it , it will succed. Look at Tibianic: it had some down periods also but Iryont kept working on it and look at it now :eek:ver 500 people at peeks! as long as you stick to it and keep working people will see that the server is here to stay and will come back or try it again.

Sorry for the wall of text :p
Good luck with your server!

Kind regards,
Hehemidu

Thank you a lot for all the tip! Now I'm going to add some more events, some quests & bosses for RPGers.

Now I'v taken lots of your suggestions, added new bosses, raids, events and much more for the players. Server coming up tomorrow!

Don't forget to make your account at: http://mirageot.com!

Thanks again for all tips!

@Zt0ffe You might say 'sure imma stay motivated' but believe me. At a certain point your motivation will run out. When that happens, keep going anyway. Your motivation will come back eventually.
Good luck

@Zt0ffe You might say 'sure imma stay motivated' but believe me. At a certain point your motivation will run out. When that happens, keep going anyway. Your motivation will come back eventually.
Good luck

Yeah, it's just about to keep going and then hopefully you will make it! But yea thanks! :)

Back