• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

How to succeed with a new war server?

Sun

Knowledge is power - France is bacon
Solutions
Reaction score
For new unknown war servers it's quite an obstacle to attract players.

The reason to this is, of course that without players there can't be war. And with less than 20 active players it's not really competetive enough for anybody to become a "dedicated player".

Sure there's always the option to spend a load of money on an otservlist countdown, but what other options are out there?

Advertising some unknown war server without any players will barely grab anyone's attention.
Perhaps 1 or 2 people that will explore the map for 10-30 min before they get bored & decide to never login again.

For a war server with a small map (1-3 MB) 30-40 active players is enough to make it feel like there's 100+
If you were in this situation, what methods (none that violate rules) can you think of that would help you reach 40 players online? Let's also say that you don't have any rls that play tibia for this research.

What client are we talking about? A 7.4 server would just need 3-4 players to blow up with anticheat(realistic war peaked 100 once?)

Any client, thing is a server with a reputation like realistic-war has people coming back every now and then checking it out.
It won't be the same for a new server nobody has heard about.

This subject should be rather interesting for anyone thinking of making a warserver

Any client, thing is a server with a reputation like realistic-war has people coming back every now and then checking it out.
It won't be the same for a new server nobody has heard about.

This subject should be rather interesting for anyone thinking of making a warserver
Unfortunately sharing unique ideas is not common place in ot servers anymore. Everyone wants to have or be the next popular ot or just profit from "their" "unique" "systems" or "ideas" but in reality what happens is everyone just copies from everyone else, uses the same type of advertising and prays for the best...

You know how big business that sells the same products as its competitors make money?

Language.

Not only do you need a war server with some interesting mechanic, you probably gotta build some sort of highscore/ladder system that reward players for spending time playing the game.
And to start it off, I would make it a competition where players could earn money/in-game points of sorts. The economy model must be fair enough that anyone can start playing, but interesting enough that people would be willing to invest in it.

And obviously, the PvP must be engaging, fun and not too inbalanced. I would probably go a bit DoTA approach where balance is built not by nerfing everything to an even line, but to make the gap between strength and weakness bigger. That way PvP could become much more fun.

Last edited:
I really have no idea, I think advertising is key, go shady and brand it as "Classicus Warmode", "Hexera War". You need a name, and nowadays it's hard and costly. There is also the split between current tibia and oldschooler that spread the player base.
And to start it off, I would make it a competition where players could earn money/in-game points of sorts. The economy model must be fair enough that anyone can start playing, but interesting enough that people would be willing to invest in it.

I feel discouraged at any glimpse of things like that, I my head everyone should start at same foot as soon as they login or die, else it will seems a farming/grinding game and the focus is changed.

I would probably go a bit DoTA approach where balance is built not by nerfing everything to an even line, but to make the gap between strength and weakness bigger. That way PvP could become much more fun.

I really like the idea of a DoTA approach. By reworking the vocations and adding some new ones some interesting things can happen.
Something like a perk system where you get points for doing x in pvp that can be used to increase certain stats/skills permanently or until you die/server restart.

I basically made monsters that will fight 24/7. So even if you are the only person onilne, you can fight with NPCs basically.

As people start logging in, the game gets gradually more and more fun, but one person online on a war server = nothing to do.

I would personally enjoy a "skill shot" based server. Flatlander once made a simple server where most if not all your spells were skill shots and I remember having a pretty good time running around and actually having to to AIM at the person.
PVP went down the drain once everyone started using bots. It's all about who can script the best rather than who can actually play the best smh. I want to play against real people, not some lame software.

Flatlander's Species war servers were some of the best I've played.

I would personally enjoy a "skill shot" based server. Flatlander once made a simple server where most if not all your spells were skill shots and I remember having a pretty good time running around and actually having to to AIM at the person.
PVP went down the drain once everyone started using bots. It's all about who can script the best rather than who can actually play the best smh. I want to play against real people, not some lame software.

Flatlander's Species war servers were some of the best I've played.
This concept in OTC? Recipe for success?

War servers are exceptionally hard to make for different reasons than RPGs.

RPG servers take time, but War servers must be polished and well balanced and fun.
In an RPG, people will play for hours while bored, if someone is bored for 5 seconds in a war server they log out.

Species was a success, but there were 300 people online in Prime Time, and 3 people online farming monsters for gems at night.

The guys that played 24/7 ended up level 400+ very fast, and new players would literally get 1 hit by them all the time, so balance between veterans and new players was an issue.

You could make Player BOT. Your server logins on 40~ characters and play them like a player, then as ppl login you logout one player bot. At least it'll look like it has other players and ppl won't just login to see nothing and go away.

You could make Player BOT. Your server logins on 40~ characters and play them like a player, then as ppl login you logout one player bot. At least it'll look like it has other players and ppl won't just login to see nothing and go away.
It came across my mind before, however that's considered spoofing

Every month a new war map opens.
Meanwhile players can practice pvp or pve (in other servers)
First 3 days in war map world-PVP is disabled(Players can only damage eachother when fighting over house plot) and NPC's can't be attacked.
In every 4 days, player has to earn out x amount of experience or they die.
Only source for experience is monsters or NPC's(npc's can be killed)
Monster respawn time is 10-15 minutes.
When in entire zone All monster are killed(zone has 5-10 monsters). Monsters in that zone NEVER respawn back.
When NPC is killed it NEVER respawns back.
Winners of war maps are recorded forever and rewarded with ingame stuff or prize money.
When players log off, their character is replaced with monster. Which can be killed by other players if certain activities has not been met while playing online.
To get immunity for x hours while offline, player has to BUILD a house or BUY a room from NPC(and hope npc wont be killed while they offline)
When character dies offline or online they loose everything and can NEVER join back in the war map where they died.
All experience gained is shared with entire server.
Max team(guild) size is 10.
War map closes when only 1 team or player is left on war map.
Would it been successful? no clue, when the time comes we will see.
amazed

Back