• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Team Official Opentibia Distribution/server - Let's break the trend with a community Proje

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite some people have shown interest so far, really happy to see it :)

We have created a Rookgaard map concept, make sure to share your thoughts! Rookgaard map concept.

I like the idea to innovate once again the actual perspective of the opentibia, i really hate the bad copies of the Cipsoft Game, time ago i was trying to found a custom rpg alliance, a group of custom games, in an only place, ideal for the players who loves this games, another experience of play. but the forum users destroys my motivation ......... i dont blame them, im weak :p

I will do some graphics if needed.
Signatures, banners etc, I can also create a web template, but I suck at coding them, so if you get a coder, no problem.
Nice to see OTFans are trying to make a difference :)

As a former Tibia/OpenTibia fanatic, I'm impressed to see someone so ambitious about this. It's not very often that I see this kind of ambition nowadays on here. Of course, I haven't really been paying much attention to OpenTibia in the last couple of years, but that's mostly because of the lack of professionalism and maturity combined. I do check in every once in awhile though! ;)

OpenTibia today is not what it used to be. Nowadays everyone and their dog tosses something together so that they can bring in some doe. The days of everyone working together to create servers to distribute for those who were interested in only creating servers for the sake of having fun and providing fun for others are over. Well, they might not be, depending on how your idea ends up. Although the professionalism and maturity might not change in most development teams even if your idea is successful, the likelihood of the more experienced, mature developers who stepped down from OpenTibia altogether, might be in our favour and they might decide to return.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see how things turn out. Maybe I'll give this another shot if all goes good here. :)
Hats off to your idea by the way. It's not far off from what OpenTibia used to be before the money thirsty kids took over.

Amb Motive

Last edited:
wish u most of luck i do want those days back
ht1.jpg
jh88.jpg
test.jpg
huang10

As a former Tibia/OpenTibia fanatic, I'm impressed to see someone so ambitious about this. It's not very often that I see this kind of ambition nowadays on here. Of course, I haven't really been paying much attention to OpenTibia in the last couple of years, but that's mostly because of the lack of professionalism and maturity combined. I do check in every once in awhile though! ;)

OpenTibia today is not what it used to be. Nowadays everyone and their dog tosses something together so that they can bring in some doe. The days of everyone working together to create servers to distribute for those who were interested in only creating servers for the sake of having fun and providing fun for others are over. Well, they might not be, depending on how your idea ends up. Although the professionalism and maturity might not change in most development teams even if your idea is successful, the likelihood of the more experienced, mature developers who stepped down from OpenTibia altogether, might be in our favour and they might decide to return.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see how things turn out. Maybe I'll give this another shot if all goes good here. :)
Hats off to your idea by the way. It's not far off from what OpenTibia used to be before the money thirsty kids took over.

Amb Motive
Nice to hear! :)

Updated the first post with an explanation.

Last edited:
Well first of all I was thinking about something very simular as Zisly, but I didn't really know how to setup something as this. I really would like to thank you for your time you did put in to bringing the community back. Tibia is developing itself, and it's almost to hard for 1 or for 3 people to map a whole project for theirselves nowadays. I also see a lot of map pieces around here, but only by screen, not the possibilty to log on a server to see this pictures. If people sometimes want to map, but not make a whole project by theirselves, why whouldn't they give their work to the community? Great. My advise (sorry if I read over it, it's quite a large text) is to keep everything simple and don't make a to big map. Only make the monsters everybody wants to hunt (look at the monsters where you need to take addon items from, you need to hunt for tasks, etc).

I have got a few questions:
-Who will host this project?
-Is there a thread around here with the pictures (or at otfans)?

Well I have made this piece and I would love to share it with the community as soon as it is finished:
_gms3E.png

I will ofcause work on more map pieces =) if you guys atleast like what I map, because I am still learning.

I have got a few questions:
-Who will host this project?
Project boards and bug tracker are at otfans, repository at github. If you mean who'll host the distribution then we haven't thought that out, our focus at the moment is to get the distribution somewhere, it's still in very early stages.
-Is there a thread around here with the pictures (or at otfans)?
I'll post announcements at our boards at otfans when we reach minor milestones giving a summary of changes plus some teasers of quests, areas etc.

I will ofcause work on more map pieces =) if you guys atleast like what I map, because I am still learning.
Projects are to evolve :)

We are making steady progress with rookgaard, I hope to see more people.

I like your idea and I can understand your motive, but please also understand that some people just want something self made. Not everyone likes to download a distro/data pack/map and press the enter button and see how it goes.

Currently I'm working on my own project and the reason is to learn .lua, .xml, .c++ . For me it's just fun to not know certain things and later find the answers on a forum I was looking for after trying and searching myself.

I also think that a certain map can have a downside, the real map, evolution map sets a standard like "This is how you should do it" it takes away creativity, you can see that with the 100's of edited evolution portal maps, that's why a map made by the community could also be the next evolution map,..

However, I do hope you find the people for your project to get rid of that standard RL map and get the community alive again !

I like your idea and I can understand your motive, but please also understand that some people just want something self made. Not everyone likes to download a distro/data pack/map and press the enter button and see how it goes.

Well we aren't downloading a map. We are developing a new world. We also want to make this server with more than just a few persons (can't talk in numbers), because selfmade servers mostly drops their activity ones they got bored of doing everything on their own. More mappers: more different styles of maps together, faster mapping, better and larges pieces (some will only put their afford in only one piece and will put all their time in this one), etc.

Currently I'm working on my own project and the reason is to learn .lua, .xml, .c++ . For me it's just fun to not know certain things and later find the answers on a forum I was looking for after trying and searching myself.

Well learning any language can be done by yourself ofcause, but in a team you are able to learn from each other. Also the creativity part enters its role: new thoughts of quests, movements, actions and so on will found out and have to be scripted. On your own you aren't just as creative as on a group and if you can't figure out how to script something, you can simply ask your teammates to help.

I also think that a certain map can have a downside, the real map, evolution map sets a standard like "This is how you should do it" it takes away creativity, you can see that with the 100's of edited evolution portal maps, that's why a map made by the community could also be the next evolution map,..

We will probably only write down a list of huntings spots people need to make for us and which quests should be on a certain area. Also we needs hunting spots which fits to each other so we have to say that it should fit on a theme as desert, forest, jungle, etc. We will again not map on a cipsoft map or a custom map which already excists. Without a strategical plan I can say projects got a larger chance to fail, because you will miss spawns or create unnecessairy spawns or pieces which aren't situated on a logic place.

However, I do hope you find the people for your project to get rid of that standard RL map and get the community alive again !

Thanks.

Hi there, what tibia version are u using on the map? I will share my maps

Latest one we got a mapeditor for, 9.3

It's been pretty quiet around the project progress so we thought we'd have a little summary of how things are going right now.

Reception
The reception of the project has been positive, there's been some good discussions and ideas brought up. Quite some people have shown interest and we got some people aboard on the official team. We have got mapping pieces donated by a few mappers: Luffinator, Macedoon and Kokokoko, I might be forgetting someone but the names are not really important. The donations are very appreciated, they are not finished but a lot of them provide a good base to build and continue upon, if not actually used they provide us with inspiration. If you have something to donate as well, you can create a thread here.

Progress
The progress has halted a bit the past month but has picked up a lot the last couple of days, now that a lot of people have more free time we hope we'll keep the new pace.

14ad2t1.png

Progress - Rook
We started out with rook first and it's still being mapped, it's not close to done but we're getting there. The shape and position of some things resemble Cipsoft's rook but these things are not really gonna make it a lot easier for the new player. The player can have a little idea where something might be but the chance is not big that he's right, few things are placed that similar.

One of the things we are trying to focus on is teamwork, in a lot some places you will not be able to explore the whole area alone. No one wanders into the dark caves alone with the expectation of surviving in there or even getting out again. The quests in rook will be a bit different from how they generally work, the "kill and grab" quests will still exist but the reward of those fade compared to the ones where you have to do more than some simple killing.

35d6oud.png

Progress - Main
The main city was started pretty recently and the progress shows it. There's not a lot to say here expect that we're placing things in a way that they're easy to find. You should be able to find the depot, weapon shop, magic shop and tool shop easily and this is exactly what we have done. When you die or get to main you'll appear in the temple under the depot and nearby the depot you can find the general shops. Everything you need when starting on the server, you'll find easily, no frustration.

Changes

A change that's been decided upon is to make this non-community bound. For me it never really was bound but the name certainly makes it bound, the positive sides of having it bound to OTFans will still be achieved without it being bound, so there's no need to limit ourselves by keeping the name. Fromw from here on changing the name of the project to: Official Opentibia Distro. The name could be seen as temporary, if you got any name suggestions we'd be happy to hear you out. If you feel like discussing new names of the project, please create a thread for it, here.

Looking ahead
We hope to get more contributions and we hope to get up a bigger public task list soon. The biggest priority right now though is finishing the main city so we have the base of mainland set, so this will be focused on primarily. Rook will still be worked on but we're not really stressing it, plan here is to finish of the basic hunting spots and then slowly work on adding content that is fun for the people who enjoy exploring and questing.

Kind regards,
OOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back