• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Tanelorn Server (custom server) Official Discussion Thread

R3D Z3R0

Programmer / Designer
Reaction score
I had an earlier thread listing everything I was working on for my server, but someone deleted it because they didn't see a point to the discussion, and because I listed an IP address. This is not an advertisement thread, and there is most definitely a point to this discussion. Please do not delete this thread.

I had uploaded a few screenshots and was receiving constructive criticism regarding my house designs when we were rudely interrupted. Please continue with your criticism regarding what detail is missing. Thanks!

a_few_houses5.jpga_few_houses4.jpga_few_houses3.jpga_few_houses2.jpga_few_houses.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a really neat custom server, although you should make at least 2 vocations, that's just me though. I'm really looking forward to playing this server.

You need a mapper.
Except that, KEEP IT UP! :)

/Eldin

Indeed the maps look bad, but still a nice idea for a server

I intended it to look that way, it's half jungle and half desert with the jungle overspreading the desert, that's why it looks patchy. I don't intend to make the minimap look good and sacrifice the actual map.

I intended it to look that way, it's half jungle and half desert with the jungle overspreading the desert, that's why it looks patchy. I don't intend to make the minimap look good and sacrifice the actual map.
Actually i like the minimap, what looks awful is the other mapping, the houses and the pyramid and that shit, they need more details i don't know they just need a lot of work

Actually i like the minimap, what looks awful is the other mapping, the houses and the pyramid and that shit, they need more details i don't know they just need a lot of work

I really appreciate the comments, I need that kind of input actually. What kind of detail are you talking about? I forgot to put windows in the 'white house' there, gotta go redo that. You know that's only the first level of the pyramid and house, right?

I just edited the 'few houses' jpeg in the first post to reflect recent changes. My difficulty is that I've got a town full of houses that I either loosely based off famous designs or buildings or designed on the fly, and am running out of ideas for creative residences. For example, I have Flatiron, White House, Tower of Pisa, a few famous skyscrapers in the Orient, many more I have forgotten...etc, etc, etc, and adding a few Frank Lloyd Wright designs as well. Almost every house has an extensive cellar/basement as well.

Last edited:
The houses look like a nice theme, but it's really boxy. Try doing other shapes, like Ls, or Fs, so that all houses aren't squares. and the tomb is very under detailed. You have an X of posts, with the exact same thing on the same side of every post. Try doing details with the RAW tool instead of using pre-made pallets.

Uploaded more house images. Thanks for the input. They're not all squares, just some of them.

Moderator accidentally deleted my other uploads but I uploaded them again. I'm sorry, Moderator, I've been a thorn in your foot all day, adding things on posts I wasn't supposed to, and making complex requests. Hope you get some rest.

Last edited:
I just added a heart shaped house, and a yard with a heart shaped pond, getting away from boxes... I just wanted to mention that on most OT's I've been on, all the houses were box shaped, in fact, on one of the most popular American servers, most of the houses were built like this: (to simplify measurements, I'll refer to the 'squares' as 'units') Two horizontal lines about 150 units long, and then short vertical lines about every 10 units, which basically made a whole street length of boxed together houses. Most of the houses which had been purchased/rented already were only a few square units as far as space goes. I thought I was going over the top by even custom designing my own houses/towns. I find it extremely tedious and I hope the players appreciate the hard work that went into making the houses. I have a feeling most of them won't care what the house looks like if it's in the location they want. Price isn't an issue, as I cut house prices down to 10% of default per square cost to assist farmers buying huge plots of land for farming.

I just added the famous Falling Water house and a residence modeled after the Hallelujah mountains in Avatar. Thanks for the input on detail. I guess I need to add more.

Your houses make no sense at all and nothing is random. Look at a house in real life, it isnt the same in the left end as it is in the right end, as with bottom floor and top floor, nothing is alike

WTF is this? There's no details, the houses are not even near rpg or realistic. Get a decent mapper and show us some new pictures. Or, read alot of tutorials. You can't start a custom project when you can't map.

Give me some examples or screenshots of houses you consider rpg or realistic. I'm curious to see what you guys consider a good house.

I wasn't trying to Tell you your shit sucked. I was just saying, that different shaped houses can be beneficial.

______<--Fence
| [][][][][]
| [][][]
| [][][]<--Door
| [][][]
|_____[][][][][]
^ Yard

Ok, my example didn't quite show up correctly but think about it.

Back