• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Why do you host a server? Why do you create OT?

Zaggyzigzig

plx itens menz
Reaction score
Just wondering some peoples thoughts on this, Some people are after the money,
Others are after the good times.

I created a server to give people enjoyment because it feels good when someones playing on your creation!
I don't even care about profit, the server could make a dollar in 2 months and I would care less.

What are your ideas?
Why do you host or create ots?

I'll be honest I would like to make money with an ot (who wouldn't) but you really can't support yourself (in the usa at least ) with an OT server unless its completely unique and has a huge following & as @HalfAway said that is what your job is for ( although my job sucks in pay too :p ).

When I came back to the forums here I wanted to come with a different attitude in regards to the community, although I am not the greatest scripter I thought I could share some of my programming experience, join a project and create something unique & fun as a team.

I've been working closely with @Extrodus on his project Aragon and we have come up with some crazy unique ideas for the server, although these ideas might never make it to launch its still enjoyable to share ideas.

I like to code.. if i sit there and focus on the income a project can make I will never get anything done & my time is limited as it is.

Maybe money for support your hobby?
You can focus in developing if you have some profit from it.
Doing purely what you like, enjoying you work and profiting with is the best no? :p

Doing it for fun, and to share a good experience with my players and form a community. I never did OT for money.

I create games I want to play.

It just happens that sometimes other people want to play what I want to play.

Almost No one liked my Apocalypse server, but I played that with 5 other people for about 5 months.
Almost No one liked my Bomberman server, but I still play that all the time.

Which is why my next server is just going to include all the Universes of my current favorite servers. So I can play whatever I want, without having to host it privately.

Hosting ot great learning on how to run one, then feel how you have to write scripts & realize that it take other people time to make decent ones &
Im still in learning process createing a ot although I learn from people words is to not run precompiled servers it best to compile your own but at the same time I learn better by someone telling me where i keep messing up at and I wish i had someone to tell me but at this point Im looking back at scripting guide & my script trying figure what I did wrong been trying to figure this out for 8 hours now and cant finsh 1 script to work way i want it.

Great job, really appreciate the feedback guys! Some for money, Others for the enjoyment for themselves, And some to give others enjoyment!

I'd make one strictly for money.

With that said, I wouldn't litter the donation page with overpowered gear and what not. I'd design a good, fun, and lengthy server before even thinking about donations. Once done, I'd hope to be rewarded for my time but I understand if I didn't, then I didn't meet expectations.

My goal by "quitting" otland
1. Find a serious "newbie" to open tibia or a rl tibia player
2. Make him an otserver with his opinions
3. Pay his dedicate and make it a total free to play

Damn, so many all about the money. Sad to see, but I understand it as DDoS protection is a must these days and someone needs to pay for it. Bless the good old days when ots were up for certain hours a day and never ever had any types of donations. Loved that shit x)

My goal by "quitting" otland
1. Find a serious "newbie" to open tibia or a rl tibia player
2. Make him an otserver with his opinions
3. Pay his dedicate and make it a total free to play
People like you should make a thread in job section xD

Probably several people including me, wouldn't mind making donation free server and keep it fresh, when server upkeep is paid 3 times over every month.

People like you should make a thread in job section xD

Probably several people including me, wouldn't mind making donation free server and keep it fresh, when server upkeep is paid 3 times over every month.

Im making a donation free server as long halfaway can host it if not I turn it into donation server but wont be op items in there unless i find someone welling to host with no pay still if halfaway decline my server

Im working on a server just for localhost.
I like creating some features and mapping, maybe mostly cuz of nostalgia ( me and my friend made some nooby servers when we were kids )
i dont even think i will do so people can play on it, maybe if i feel it someday but i just really want to learn and have fun while doing it :)

its sad to see that most people are in it for the money even tho its understand able... but hey its a hobby, so you better tell your little league coach in any sport to pay you... since man its your hobby and you want to get paid for it.

Back