• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Will updating my sprite and dat ruin my map?

Ahova

Reaction score
I used to map and run an OT server back in 2010. I still love my old map and started adding new things but all of these new monsters, items, and tiles are way to inviting to pass up! Will updating the spr and dat files in my map editor ruin my map that i've been working on for years? Also, is it possible to run all the new sprites and monster files in 8.6 if i just use the same client but update all the files containing the new item information?

Help would be much appreciated! A long time lover of this site and follower of everyone's wonderful work!

In remere's map editor, you have an option to update your map to a newer/older version.
Get the newest RME that includes the version of dat/spr you want to use -> open your map with it (load your old dat/spr version) and go to Map -> Update, pick the one you want to update to and let it do the magic.

This shouldn't ruin your map at all, and you will be able to map with all the new sprites. And you won't be able to use 8.6 client with new sprites because before 9.6 client, cipsoft used a non-extended (i think 16bit?) sprite structure. Then, they reached the maximum amount of sprites in this structure, so they had to upgrade to 32bit, which means any old client is not compatible with that structure.

I would recommend you to use OTClient which is easily customizable and should work with anything you decide to go with. Also make a backup of that map if you've been working on it for years. Never go without backups.

Back