• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Custom Survival (Post-Apocalypse) Server

How custom do you like your OTs?

• Total voters

Flatlander

Species Developer
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am working with Raisa (because she is a good mapper, and has a creative mind that helps with thinking up great ideas) on a new server. We have been messing around with ideas for a long time now, making map pieces, testing out different styles of combat, and writing a lot of great ideas down.

What we know so far:
This will be a post apocalypse server. (Which means, the apocalypse already happened).
There is one town left where everyone survived due to technology, but it requires some sort of power to keep running. (one of many reasons you will be sent out of the town into danger over and over again will be to get that power)

Missions:
To be allowed to live in the town and get money for food and supplies you will have to do missions. Good news, there are going to be tons of them, every day.

Vocations:
It's the end of the world, no one cares if you are a knight, or archer, or sorcerer. We need Physicians, Excavators, Blacksmiths, so these will be the types of vocations you can choose from, and 50% of your abilities and skill will be determined by what Vocation you choose.

Combat:
This is still being remade over and over and over again, so things will change until my testers and me are addicted to the new combat. What we do know is: you will be able to use any weapon with any vocation. And we are thinking of making it so the more you use a weapon, you will gain experience with it, and with this experience you will be able to change how you wield your weapon (attack speed, splash damage, chance to paralyze, etc), or even unlock new spells.

Survival:
To survive, you will have to keep BOTH your health and stamina above 0. Stamina will no longer be to stop botters. It is now to show when your character is Exhausted. If you get down to 100 stamina your character will become incapacitated, and you will need someone to come revive you. To keep your stamina high, you will have to keep well fed, healthy, and well rested. You will be able to make campsites outside of town to rest, and cook food. Inside town you will be able to sleep at Inns, and rest in Taverns and Restaurants.

So why is this server so amazing?
First, I am COMPLETELY customizing TFS so that this server will not have the same "rules" as tibia has. Right now monsters can track you from up to 50 sqm away. They have the ability to "think" (some monsters more than others).
Monster AI Examples:
Wolves attempt to run in packs. If you outnumber them, they will leave you alone and avoid you until you corner them, if you are alone, they will hunt you down.
Dworcs want to eat you (damn cannibals), they will group up, ambush you, and kidnap you. If you are in a group, they will grab one of you, then the rest will fight while a group carries your friend away to be cooked and eaten. (you can rescue your friend if you make it in time)
Dragons are smart and ruthless. If there is just one of you, the dragon will attack you until you are incapacitated, if it is hungry it will eat you right there, otherwise it will take you back to it's cave where it's baby dragons are. If there are many of you, it will use swooping attacks (hit and run) attacks, using it's Fire to AoE your team down. If you injure it, it will be pissed off and change it's behavior to attack more, if you almost kill it, it will retreat back to it's cave and try to rest up and heal.

Would you play an RPG server that is nothing like tibia?

That server sounds awesome, i like the type of servers like that custom and new ideas. Want to try it for sure :p

Thanks for your support, I'll post updates here as I work, so you guys can give input. For now I'm still working strictly on Monsters AI so we can make them as "smart" as possible. (at least smart for tibia)

You never cease to surprise me flat, yet another server you're working on xD! You can never stick to just one can ya lol. Anyway I liked all of your zombie apocalyptic servers so I can't wait to see this(if you ever even finish :p) About how custom I like my servers, it all depends on how it's made. If you have a completely different client and it might be hard for some people to understand everything and some people probably won't even feel like downloading it but personally I love it but if you're looking for more players I wouldn't recommend it. I can settle for everything being custom expect the client. I also really like how you have Monster AI, i've seen this on a server before but it wasn't well done same with the items, each time you used a new weapon, your level with that weapon grew, but you never learn spells or whatever you're planning . It's going to be a nice challenge and will require some thinking while playing which will be awesome. Also about the vocations, you will need to think them through thoroughly to make sure they are all useful and wanted to play otherwise there will always be that 1 really popular class that everyone plays.

i love everything costum but as zasranets said: a regular tibia client/otclient will attract more people :)
really love the idea of the server and the new vocations, but ye make sure they have some kind of purpose...

Good luck ! :)

The idea of the vocations was, they each have to provide NECCESSARY supplies to the other vocations.
Doctor gives only ways to truly heal, blacksmith gives only ways to upgrade armors and weapons, miner is the only way to find good metals and lost chests full of supplies, chef will make food that makes your stamina last longer so you can be away from town longer.

All of them are needed to create the "perfect" team where you have the best of everything, otherwise you'll be missing stuff.

I would like to work on this, sounds interesting and many of my ideas correlate. Good luck with the server-- the concept is astonishing.

Thanks again guys :).
I did a little work with the campsite. (updated an older similar idea to work on 10.10, and of course the sprites I used are just there to show what is possible)

damn that looks cool :D, i just want to build such a camp and sing songs around the campfire :D

Haha, it isn't just for show, Being in a campsite will quickly heal health, mana, stamina, allow you to cook food, and more expensive campsite kits will include more and more functionality.

How about a post-post apocalypse world?

Society has already started to come back and reshape itself after a horrible catastrophic event.

Towns are already forming again, and business is starting to get re-established.

You find yourself in a world were opportunity is everywhere.

Do you want to start a career in street paving, or water irrigation?

Maybe you'd be better down at the farm picking fruit or feeding chickens?

Or maybe manual labour isn't your thing, and you want to get into the business world.

Will you create a new business that dominates the world market, or will you be stuck in middle management all your life!?

Who knows what is in store for you in a post-post apocalypse world!

Last edited:
Thanks again guys :).
I did a little work with the campsite. (updated an older similar idea to work on 10.10, and of course the sprites I used are just there to show what is possible)

Where is the portable Kevin? :(

How about a post-post apocalypse world?

Society has already started to come back and reshape itself after a horrible catastrophic event.

Towns are already forming again, and business is starting to get re-established.

You find yourself in a world were opportunity is everywhere.

Do you want to start a career in street paving, or water irrigation?

Maybe you'd be better down at the farm picking fruit or feeding chickens?

Or maybe manual labour isn't your thing, and you want to get into the business world.

Will you create a new business that dominates the world market, or will you be stuck in middle management all your life!?

Who knows what is in store for you in a post-post apocalypse world!

Sounds like a new "The Sims" game, not really an action-RPG.

Where is the portable Kevin? :(

Raisa said she doesn"t want any magic. And I have no other way to explain portable kevin other than magic, though we could make a robot NPC that can be packaged with the better campsites.

While making a completely custom server is good in theory, in practice keep in mind a lot of people dislike so much change. I'm not one of them, but it's not fun playing a server with less than 10 people. Personally, having custom maps and monsters and maybe some new scripts is enough, since it attracts a lot of people and it's still a custom enough server. Changing the fundamental basics of Tibia (such as the combat system, the stamina system, removal of magic, etc) most of the times keeps more people away than it attracts, since most Tibia players are pretty stupid (no offence to you if you're reading this since most of said players barely understand English). Just look at what happened to Xagul's latest server, Project XDC... it didn't have any tutorials (actually forcing people to think for once) and most quit because of that. Here are some snippets from his closing post:

"I may or may not be ignorant in saying this but people who may have quit due to the lack of tutorials are the people that were not expecting to play a custom RPG server to begin with. It just so happens that is the majority of the players. People expect a similar to tibia look-alike with a different map or a teleport server, most people do not want to explore which is the basic concept of an open world RPG. So many players asked me "where are the teleports" or "where to hunt" and the amount of new players that asked me questions that were answered in the Newcomer Dave tutorial was just mind boggling."

"I think this server was a mistake, it was too much for the community that plays open tibia. I truly feel that even a 100% complete wiki and website with every single detail including the color of a bugs ass wouldn't have helped the large majority of the people that were confused and logged out within the first hour. I think the only thing that I could have done better would have been to complete a flashy website that really screamed "hey this server is custom and you will have to learn new things!" although I have looked around otservlist and there are many websites that are extremely attractive and "flashy", websites that made me feel 99% certain the servers were going to be some crazy next level thing. I log in and its a simple real map. So even a flashy website seems like a stretch at this point."

I realize you probably know this already, but I know from experience that it's easy to forget just how mindless most players are when coming up with new creative ideas that require a bit more thought than simply "click monster, level up, click bigger monster, level up...".

It IS Xagulz fault though, no matter what game you create, if it isn't easy to learn a lot of people will quit. Yes you will have die hard fans if it is a good game, but very few people will play a game that is confusing and frustrating at first.

The key is, make it very easy to understand, and very fun to play. If you can achieve that you will slowly gain players as word spreads about your server, until it is successful.

Ahahahhah I remember that camp fire script from your old apocalyptic server. Anyway custom is super awesome if you develop up it the right way. Xagulz server had so much custom and no guidance so some didn't know what to do. And honestly I would rather have a server with a 20-50 people, yes it might not be a lot but at least it would be a nice community where we would all work together and not just where the whole server is brainless zombies botting all day. I also think that Flatlander doesn't care a whole lot about how many people player his server, but more about putting his creativity and what he thinks would be fun in a server.

Back