• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Overpowered donation items! Why? To all haters and others ;)

Damon

Check my status to contact me :)
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello dear ot-community,

Today Im gonna share my point of view about donations on OTs with you. I just can't see it anymore:
A new server starts up, and right after a few time forst post telling
"Dont play this server! Overpowered Donations!"
aaahrgh, thats what I really hate, and thats why I wanna tell those "HATERS" now, why there might be overpowered donations:
Hmmm.. As you smart person(talking to tha haters) might know (or prolly not know), hosting a server and keep developing it, consumes a lot of time and money(wait... What? Money?YES!)!
While developing a server might be a hobby of the developer he still pays from his own pocket to host his server! YES E PAYS REAL MONEY TO OFFER YOU his WORK! Know someone might say download and run servers etc. .... Awww ... A real map server doesnt mean it wasnt edited and can be good(shadowcores), any download and run server might have new content , still the temple and drpot screen look same so everyone cries
Download and Run server
. But lets get back to the hosting part:
Hosting a server with about atleast 4 GB RAM NEEDED FOR A GOOD SERVER AND WEBSITE, *you pay*
~30€ if you use linux/a month
~40-50€ /month for renting a windows server /month*
----
Now most developers are busy with keeping their ots updated and spending their time for YOU respectless person! And cant bother *
To find out how to host on linux so they pay 40-50€/month for YOU! Now they think:
Well, I got a server now, my community grows, but still the server costs much money, somehow I need to get something in through some donations..
So what donations to make ? Maybee some even wealer items than u can get ingame? Perfect idea , noones gonna donate! Items reachable ingame? Sure good balancing but maximum 5~8€/month through donations... 40€ for me to pay , im getting poor :/
Okay overpowered donationitems?! Yep with that the serverowners atleast has a chance to get 30%~40% of his monthly cost paid, because people who want to be better donate ;) Btw. In official MMORPGs u can buy weapons in item shop e.g. Age of Conan(op items, too)
Now some smartasses from tha HATERS say again:
OP ITEMS AAHRG
Now serverowners use the idea of rl tibia making premmy nit for free but for 3€/month or smth like that.
Now even more people wont play since
No point in playing without premmy

But hey HATERS, can you maybee see, that server owners spend lot of their money for YOU?! Cant you see the server and not its donations?
There are great custom servers out there and being developed( shadowcores, *masiyah, darkonia, loralia, lost lands, tibianic)!
Id say ~70% of all tha ot servers (not those successfull i mentioned above)dont make rly profit..

There are serverowners who managed to fit in te premmy system like Ironyt owner from tibianic,
And also some who earn shitloads of money like ROHANOTS due to their great servers, updates and op donation items, and donation castles(my idea :p )...
Gratulate them ! Cheer with em! They made an successfully ot without just wasting money :)

Still taking me for example:
I wanted to offer the ot community a cool donation free custom rpg ot (Damonia), I hosted it several
Times for 2-3 weeks then no players anymore. Its hard keeping it updated!*
I spent around 180€!
Earned nothing , but some respects and some friends^^

//Damon

I believe you failed to see the fact that people can have a great income from a server without using OP donations. Take mastercores for an example. That server was terrible, it had laggs, crashes, and .. everyone was GM from time to time. No kidding.

But atleast they were smart enough to use something called a "Golden account", which by the way, most players had. Because it was such a great imporvement to your daily gameplay, but yet nothing OP.

My point it, it actually takes experience and intelligence to create a donation system. It's not only to give players access to op items by giving some money for it, you have to think of what you put in there, and how it will affect the server. And clearly, this was the only point that mastercores actually had success with.

Just sayin'. / Sai

Mastercores didn't turn a profit. Erik/znote/amoaz have stated this hundreds of times.

i 50% agree with u
but i should say that the donations shouldnt be OP
because there will be no point in playing if u have best non-donor set and cant kill some1 whose lower than bcuz he have full donor set....
also OP donation servers doesnt even gain money, bcuz ppl hate op donation cuz u r useless without it...so they wont play so the server will have 15~ player so when some1 come to donate he sees that the ot is not that good
so u wont gain money at all so OP donations isnt a way to pay ur host bills :p

The key word here is Overpowered. Some servers literally have Donation Armor, Legs, Boots, etc. that are unobtainable unless you donate. And if you don't donate for these items you can never compete with the people that have.
Donations aren't inherently bad, but they do ruin servers when they provide content unobtainable anywhere else.

Mastercores didn't turn a profit. Erik/znote/amoaz have stated this hundreds of times.

Irrelevant.

They wouldn't have earned more if they have donation items instead. As close to all accounts had golden account. And that's more than what people buy if it's donor items. If they had used donation items instead, not only would they have gotten alot less players, they would have gotten alot less money and gone even more minus.

I also know that Erik got away with 500 euro (profit). I been speaking to them aswell.

i 50% agree with u
but i should say that the donations shouldnt be OP
because there will be no point in playing if u have best non-donor set and cant kill some1 whose lower than bcuz he have full donor set....
also OP donation servers doesnt even gain money, bcuz ppl hate op donation cuz u r useless without it...so they wont play so the server will have 15~ player so when some1 come to donate he sees that the ot is not that good
so u wont gain money at all so OP donations isnt a way to pay ur host bills :p

Well, thats exactly what i was talking about, my friend ;)
Still if u cant get the op donation items ingame ucan cOmpete with other non donators.
And what I wanted to say is enjoy the server! Dont try being best without spending real money.
In any OFFICIAL MMORPG u also need to spend real money(age of conan, metin2....), or all of ur goddamn time...

My job is done,
I wanted to start this discussiOn with my point of view, hoping some others will expand my statement , it worked out great, thanks :D

Irrelevant.

They wouldn't have earned more if they have donation items instead. As close to all accounts had golden account. And that's more than what people buy if it's donor items. If they had used donation items instead, not only would they have gotten alot less players, they would have gotten alot less money and gone even more minus.

I also know that Erik got away with 500 euro (profit). I been speaking to them aswell.
When did I say I disagree with you? I'm just saying he didn't profit, so wherever you got that magical 500 euro number from is a pretty unreliable source.

ofcourse but its not about trying to be the best, its about to not be the worst thats wat i meant

Aaah okay ;)
Yep just what my signature in a tibia forum is:
A player doesnt count by level, neither by skill. He counts by his friendship and his loyality
And after that im going ;)
I enjoy chatting woth the ppl on the server, doing quests together and make jokes :p
Not powerlevel or compete for the top :)
And usually i am able to do any quest i want with enough friends without donors :)

You dont specifically need 'OP' donations in order to get your monthly costs covered, look @ Lordaeron, not a single OP donor item and yet that server is able to make a nice amount of cash monthly. Make a proper ot, you'll earn more ^^

I didnt say that ;)
If you use premmy system like lordaeron or tibianic, it works out great, too ;)

People play OTs because RL tibia NEEDS to have you buy a premium account to do anything enjoyable. We came to OTs to have fun, and try and be the best that we could be. OT runners have just taken the fact that money is all you need in life and that's all they care about.

They say "DONATE AND AS A GIFT WE GIVE POINTS FOR SHOP". It's not donating. It's buying items to be the best. That's why Collapser is a bad server. Cyntara does the same thing.

Collapser = 50+ dollars to get full upg set (which people have)
Cyntara = LOL

My point is, people play OTs with the ambition to be a high level that they could never get in RL tibia. Either that, or they just don't want to pay for premium, but then when they do play a OT there are 1000x stronger characters because of things like VIP, GODLY ARMOR, GODLY SWORD and shit like that. It's not cool, and I'm sure somebody will agree with me.

I prefer what shadowcores has. Put equipment that can be earned ingame into the donation shop. Better yet, call the 'donation shop' system "Buy Items". Because that's all donation shops really are.

So atk:999 isn't op? tell me more...
Let players buy vip to earn some locked locations where they can drop some epic but non modified items(but don't force them to buy it - let's free players make exp too by equeal locations), then add upgrade gems in sms shop. You can also do something like: upgrade gem(dropable) x% weapon breaking rate(bigger with upgrades attached), upgrade gem(premium) less or no chance to break weapon during upgrade, but end it at limit let's say +10 bonus

Best items available in tibia? Let players loot it from bosses or let them combine some stuff to craft them eg. two lavos armors+some enchanting stuff+some creature products+(sms shop tokens?) -> fireborn giant armor

Premium items? If it isn't your own client just add same items to otb with a bit better stats

@Damon
you with this signature sound like one of us... bronies

Make servers because you enjoy doing so, not to make money. Ideally donation shops should only sell cosmetic items, such as addons and mounts, but selling VIP isn't bad either, as long as VIP is just an "extra bonus" and not a necessity to enjoy the server. And if you ARE going to sell items for real money, at least make it so free players are able to obtain those items without donating. But even then, the game is already imbalanced since donators can become better than free players simply because they paid real money, which is something that shouldn't happen in any online game.

Make servers because you enjoy doing so, not to make money. Ideally donation shops should only sell cosmetic items, such as addons and mounts, but selling VIP isn't bad either, as long as VIP is just an "extra bonus" and not a necessity to enjoy the server. And if you ARE going to sell items for real money, at least make it so free players are able to obtain those items without donating. But even then, the game is already imbalanced since donators can become better than free players simply because they paid real money, which is something that shouldn't happen in any online game.
The best thing is holding balance between commercial server and fun free to play server. Let everyone be equeal but if someone wants to pay you let's give something enjoyable to him(something what won't change his gameplay drastically)

When did I say I disagree with you? I'm just saying he didn't profit, so wherever you got that magical 500 euro number from is a pretty unreliable source.

And I didn't say that you did disagree with me. Just tried to explain my point further. And my source was Amoaz himself. Nvm that tho, it's not the subject here.

People are egoists & stupid, that simple. They would never buy a useless thing like premium if it isn't extremly overpowered. Ask yourself, would you go into a store that you like, to buy things you actually don't need just to keep the store alive? Well sure some would do so, i can honestly say i would since i have to get a mile extra just to get to an store and then i would lose more than what i would gain by saving the store which is closer to me.

Crazy example but kinda true though.

Back