• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Help with testing/Low rate heavy RPG server popularity

Do enough people like very low rate/custom/low pvp servers to hold a population?

• Yes

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters

Peora

Solutions
Reaction score
Hello,

I am hoping to find a small group of players who aim to be playing on a low rate, RPG classic (7.4-7.7) type server. I made, with very much help and kindness from smart people, a small server, which have a heavy focus on puzzles, quests, hidden spots, etc., with an end goal to be a mostly private server for very relaxed players. There is no paypal or such, everyone always has premium, so boats and house buying is open to all.

If there are some people who have an interest in this type of server, please let me know. I am hoping to find some people to help with checking it now in beta phase, to catch not only things like balance of characters, game play, but also broken levers, or bad spelling on signs, etc. And also, to see if this type of server has enough popularity to hold a population. The limit is set of 20 players for now, and after this phase be complete, if the people have an interest to play again after repair of errors, they can be invited and will be given some nice items/cash to start with.

Here is a gallery of map and ss from in game:

Imgur

Also, any hints or advice on such a server, even if not interest to play, would be appreciated!

Evan

I enjoy them, but I voted no because of how the question was worded- I don't think they're popular in general if we're comparing them to either RLmaps or high rate customs which usually get a good population going, just from what I've observed over the years but now & again if it's well made I've seen a few get decent numbers, I think it relies on the time they're opened & how good they actually are, if the server is well made, looks good & has an interesting concept- especially early game to hook people in, then it will most likely do okay.

With that said, I don't consider x20 low rate tbh

this version is mostly dead, if you wish to make an rpg server you should try to simulate a old version in tibia 10.98 or higher. This is the formula I've been using and most people are trying for custom servers.

Nah. It's too complicated and difficult to play on <8.0 + bots give too much advantage i.e aimbot etc.
And definately not low rate (atleast unless some level like 150+), it's so boring to play Tibia on low levels, and before you get to that point where you can start having fun or fight you're already bored of the server.
I am having lots of free time, if you need someone to run around and check if there's no bugs, broken portals, blank signs or something, let me know.

Thank you very much of the replies. I have been touching up errors people did find so far, I am very grateful the help.

Amusement, I did set rates to 20x for just this period, so people could look more for testing. The planned real launch is x2. Thank you for coming on, I did up your man a lot so you could look around as well. I am trying to find the balance for this testing to let people look all things, but not give away the quests fully. I did try to set up many things at low, like small quests to get gear improvements, etc, then larger, and then hints towards very big prizes. (The large prizes, by my guess, would take 1 year to play to get to, if you play normal)

Pigulka, I would be happy to have more testers. I did raise the rate for this period to 20x. I know many think it is boring to play tibia at low, but hopefully, with all the quests and puzzles, there should be things at each lvl ranges to keep it interesting. If you make a man, I will also make him to 100 to help of running around.

Wolf, thank you. I know nothing of the newer servers, other than I find them very confusing, haha. My goal in the end is to have mostly private server where RPG old type nerd players can have fun, so it rules out the newer types. But thank you very much the comment, maybe someday I will learn modern tibia and then try it!

Evan

I noticed on your website it said "a massive multiplayer online role playing game."

Its not. Original Tibia, In my eyes aren't even a massive multiplayer online role playing game. But, eh, opinions :)

The server itself seems nice though

Thank you; even looking to fix website and display errors such as the one Nemphis did find. I changed the word massive to customized, since there are a few special items and huge amounts of non usual maps.
I hope to keep testing for a 2 more weeks, thank you in advance to anyone who can swing by!

Evan

Yes, it should be, as well as about 10 other map packs from the downloads area. We tried to mix and match for balance and also personal loved places, which is why folda, POI and draconia appears. All are modified/revamped, with different things put in or out, quests, puzzles, prizes, etc. Also there is much use of the open tibia sprite pack, for additional things such as custom bows, armors, and monsters.

Thank you all for voting; it looks like it is balanced so far. I hope to run testing about 2 more weeks, now the spells page is updated to show magic level needed to cast spells, not experience levels. Thanks to all who have or will join in testing!

Evan

I tend to ramble, or over explain things, I apologize but I'll write my thoughts for you here.

So I was frustrated when I made my character initially as it should be basic & something you, yourself should have at least tested once at some point but I don't know how long of a project this has been for you so obviously I'm by no means attacking you or frustrated with you personally just explaining my thought pattern & opinions.

The Paladins start out with nothing but 2 leather legs, a torch & a bag with a bunch of melee weapons(which you've changed, I'd recommend checking the other vocations), I sold the melee weapons for spears & I ran into elves & then couldn't even kill a rat at low hp before I died due to no protection, I was frustrated purely on the basis that something this early & fundamental, shouldn't be broken- it left me with a sour experience.
I would recommend keeping a minimal setup, basic leather set with a wooden shield would suffice in most cases, it leaves the player with adequate protections for the early game & a means to move forward.

I wasn't sure if I should even go into this much depth, but here goes.
I'm going to talk about the starting area/town because I believe there's a very objective way a town should be created- creating a lovely area is completely different than creating a place where people first enter & experience your world. This you can use as a basis, whether this is your map or something you downloaded isn't relevant, I'm merely explaining a good way to structure a town for a starter town.

There's a subtle science in this, things are suppose to make sense & are suppose to be easy for the player to navigate.

Now Port hope & Ankrahmun take this to the extreme with having everything the player requires, literally on top of each other but generally Thais is in my opinion a good model on how a town should be, most of CIPs towns are & there's a reason as to why they're all built in a similar manner.

Notice, all the shops are in close proximity, basically in the "Centre" of town, everything is built around this centre hub, including the entrances to the sewers, which is also key to a new player starting, as sewers mean rats, income & some experience to getting off the ground.
There's also a solid reasoning behind walls, apart from the obvious protective reasons in games like Tibia where the outside can be fatal they denote to the player where the city begins & where it ends.
aa78f516d335a8f7be42e694661086e6.png

Firstly this town is chaotic & aesthetically looks terrible, it took me a while to find everything- and I also walked into elves far north which near killed me as I left the town but wasn't sure where the town even ended, this is a similar experience if you go west.
The sewer grates(marked yellow) are also in awkward positions, with the one right of the church being the only reasonable spot.
8549f4c1743eff858766175de1949783.png

We can immediately see the difference.

This is actually terribly designed, I want to explain what I did when I started so you get an idea of what can happen if people make the "wrong" choice, I firstly left the temple & went left, I saw no sewer grates so I assumed there was none, I realized after going further west I was leaving town & as I had no gear I decided to search a little south, I reached the south house I marked in yellow which I don't understand the reasoning behind- due to my gear, I was at an immediate disadvantage considering the amount of rats that are down these holes, so I went back to the centre of town (Temple) & headed north, I saw the equipment store but nothing else until I hit elves, it was only coming back south where I saw that Task house north east, which isn't even connected to a road- this building is also oddly placed in general especially as it's an important NPC, it's importance is high thus it should be placed in the centre or town or at the exit of gates which this little town lacks. After realizing again I chose wrongly I went east, by this point it was too late, I'd been beaten by Elves, I had no health, no equipment & only a few spears that I bought after selling my weapons to the equipment NPC & buying spears- so I said whatever, went down into rats & died.

A lot of people miss the subtle "science" behind things in games, the "why" behind why things are created in a specific way, the earliest experience of the OT is what made me drop it & from what I've observed from a lot of OTs over the years can be a factor in players quitting custom OTs after the first 10-30 minutes, the earliest steps a player takes especially on a new map should always be directed & smooth, they're important for player retention & it's where people formulate wither they will stay or continue playing.
When we see a sewer grate in a town, we all immediately know it contains rats or something of a low tier that beginners can fight & kill for experience & coin, all essential to moving forward- but if we can't find rats & barely have the gear to even fight them, it turns into a bad experience.
This pattern of easiest in the centre & harder the further out we go, is a similar subtle game design similar to how a town is constructed, we expect things we can fight to be close & things of a harder nature to be beyond that to be explored.

I'd honestly choose a different map, I don't know if you created this or if it's just a downloaded map but it's a terrible starting place.

I'll look further into the server at a later date, I wanted to type this out the other day when I tested the server but I got side tracked but this should cover my thoughts early- You've given me a level 100 jumping to end game is a good way to look around the map but remember the journey from Early to end game is just as important as the end game.

~ Just been running around, Koya should have been your starting city- it basically falls in line with everything I just mentioned.

Last edited:
Thank you very much to Amusement for the checking and detailed post. I very much appreciate it, it is exactly the type of information needed to help improve things.

I think it is very correct; as normal I missed some basic things! The start gear has been altered, now each person gets the same full leather set, and spears (5) were added. I find such simple things I missed so often, which is why I am grateful for extra eyes.

I looked careful at your examples of good towns. While I do like Sircera as a kind of tiny town on the edge of wilds look, it was very clear your points the things that needed to be altered. So, I tried to balance it without losing too much.
Added a proper another sewer grate to the left of temple, so no matter which way, players can see the familiar. Also, added more direction signs in town, so when you leave temple you have advice on direction where to go. Improved the road and signs to the task mans, and finally, on the edges of town, put up warning signs like in before trolls.

But, I do agree for many players Koya might be the place they prefer to start. So, did alter to oracle, in the room is a small description of each town (koya/sircera) and who they might suit, as well as encourage to go to website server info page to see town map if choosing sircera. Now, players can choose to start in koya or sircera as they like.

I have missed so many things (it was very embarrassing when I finished a large castle, 8 floors, puzzles on each floor, invited a friend to test it, and they walked through area where I forgot wall, skipping 80% of quest, hah) and I cannot thank you, and all the other kind people who have come and tested and offered much help, enough.

Many, many things have been altered/fixed thanks to kind people; too many too list fully but I think it gets better each time. Today the client was changed slightly, so if current or any new testers would be kind enough to join again, please do download the client and try it.

I hope to run the testing about 2 more weeks; the poll seems to be getting more votes each day, thank you.

Evan

Thank you again for all the testers who came, and also who helped on here and in voting. In the end, 63 changes were made, and likely more will come!

But, it does seem to be in a somewhat decent condition now, for the the low rate, custom rpg sort of player, so we are moving forward with a launch on the advertising board. The voting group did bear out in favor of a low rate, but it was a very small poll. We honestly do not expect it to be very popular, but as we searched for ages for a server like this, perhaps there are a few others who will enjoy.

More than happy for any testers who helped out to come and join, and will thank for testing with reward of points scroll (server is entirely free, but we made a shop page so that we can give out point scrolls as prizes in rare occasion and let people choose what they like as a prize)

Provided the server does not burst into flames, it is intended to be a long term project, even if the population is very low, so we will continue with adjustments, updates, and fixes. At those times we likely come back here for more advice, so thank you again, and expect us back with more questions!

Evan

Back